PDA

View Full Version : more new road pedals from TIME ?

AngryScientist
01-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Are they just floundering in the market?

i mean, LOOK, Speedplay and Shimano have basically created a loyal following for themselves, and havent really changed their basic design in ages as far as road goes. Seems like TIME is just trying to find their nitch at the moment? i feel like they just came out with the iClic platform, which didnt seem to go over too well, and now these Xpresso's ? they sure win the award for most "futuristic" looking. interesting.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/content/images/thumbs/0014331_time_xpresso_12_titan_carbon_roadpedal.jpe g

ultraman6970
01-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Been user of time pedals since the 1st model back in the mid 80s ok?

Never understood why to change or improve something that was just perfect, keywin is maybe the next older and unknown for maybe like 99% of the people and they havent change their design that much because is just perfect.

Time was perfection, understood the move to new shapes and the seek to get their pedals lighter but darn at some point they just lost it. Then they come up with the impact, perfect design IMO aswell, not big flaws, reliable and then the last one that was perfect is the rxs design. Everything after the rxs is just the seek for who knows what, fixing problems when there is none. And now to screw up even more to people the suckers did change the cleat again and all the rxs users cant even think in buying the new ones because the f... cleat is not compatible. At least look and shimano in their nonsense built the pedals around a cleat design so the guys were at least able to use the old pedals and move to the new ones progressively. Bad move time pedals!!!

I see people complained that the times were hard to engage and stuff but from what I ever noticed since the original looks (used them for 1 week, POS. Then moved to time) is that if the cleats are in the wrong position you cant clip in right or what it worse to unclip. So in the seek to make their stuff more suitable they made it worse for the old user. Look have done crap aswell but their system doesnt have the advantages time had from the beginning.

No idea if i will move to expresso but they look nice, maybe when I know are as reliable as my impacts or rxs, even if they had built the pedal around the rxs/impact cleat i would be thinking in getting a pair to test but nah... too much money aswell. Even if you look at the cleats they look really similar then why dont just keep a cleat design that works and built around it? rant again :D

velobaba
01-05-2013, 10:36 AM
I have been using the Time Iclic2 for past couple of hours. I originally started
with Time pedals on my road and mountain and then switched to Speedplays and then to Look Keo 2 Max and then back to Time when they came out with Iclic2. I have been happy with the Iclic2 and don't plan on changing.
I hope that the new Espresso cleats are compatible to Iclic2s and/or hope that
the Iclic2 cleats will be in production for the next few decades.

Thanks.

false_Aest
01-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I love Time but will not buy any more of their pedals.

Work great except when they don't.

3 sets of RXS with broken bodies -- not great to have a pedal break in a crit.

Once this set is gone, Imma switch to ultegra.

mkbk
01-05-2013, 11:13 AM
After a couple of decades on Time pedals I thought long and hard about Shimano(Looks) for my new bike build. Then I thought even longer about the new xpresso. That would be 4 (!) new pairs of an un-tryed, new design (must update the older bikes, no?). I came to my senses and got a new pair of RXS carbons. Cheapish and a great pedal. Long live the RXS!

FlashUNC
01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
I just switched over to Time to try to alleviate some knee issues I've been having with my old Looks. The lateral float and adjustable Q factor were pretty huge parts of why I'm giving them a shot.

So far, so good. We'll see how the pedals and cleats hold up. (I got a pair of the iClic2 Racers)

weaponsgrade
01-05-2013, 12:45 PM
I love Time but will not buy any more of their pedals.

Work great except when they don't.

3 sets of RXS with broken bodies -- not great to have a pedal break in a crit.

Once this set is gone, Imma switch to ultegra.

Which RXS models were they that broke? I've got a set of the carbon ones that I'm happy w/. I'm thinking about picking up a set of the RXS Speed models for a second bike. I believe the Speed model is just plain plastic w/o the carbon reinforcement of the Carbon model.

mcteague
01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
I loved my RXS pedals until the body broke in half. As I liked the overall feel of the Time float, vs previous Look and Shimanos I had, I took a gamble and got the new iClics. So far, so good. They are really easy to get in and out. The bearings seem a bit stiff, not that I can feel it while pedaling, but they don't always point up when I unclip.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=72237&stc=1&d=1279978442

Tim

tv_vt
01-05-2013, 03:22 PM
I've had some RXS Carbon pedals break, too. But only after I got lots and lots of miles out of them. I really don't see any difference between the cheaper Speed or whatever models, so have been buying whats on sale. Haven't tried the Iclic, since they need a different cleat, I believe.

Time user since 1989...

TV

ultraman6970
01-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Wow seen pictures of the front part to crack but never in the middle... amazing. No problems with time pedals ever.

As for the cleats, so far i know expreso and iclics share the same cleat.

mike p
01-05-2013, 04:10 PM
DA user. Love them so much I've never even been tempted to cheat on them!

Mike

rice rocket
01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
I didn't like my i-clics, I think AngryScientist has them now?

The plastic interface for the cleat meant a ton of shoe rock. Looks like they didn't think that was an issue because this and the i-Clic 2s stick with that.

I like my Shimano DA7810s.