PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Clinchers

iRide
01-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi, I have the option of buying, either a set of 2011 Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs or a set of 2011 Roval Rapide SL 45s, which ones are better? I ride mostly flat terrain, no big hills, and weigh 100lbs.
Thanks!

LegendRider
01-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi, I have the option of buying, either a set of 2011 Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs or a set of 2011 Roval Rapide SL 45s, which ones are better? I ride mostly flat terrain, no big hills, and weigh 100lbs.
Thanks!

I'd go for the Carbones - they are a tried and true wheelset. I know one person with Rovals (from a Specialized team race bike) and it has been nothing but trouble for him.

christian
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
You weigh 100 lbs.

You should buy Hyperons...and go climb some hills!

No, in all seriousness, Cosmic Carbones.

iRide
01-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys, but I live in a very very windy area, and being 100lbs I afraid of being blown away, and the Rovals are not quite as deep, so therefore being easier to handle?
Thanks

TAW
01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
I work in a Specialized shop, and I say go for the Carbones. Not enough difference in windy conditions to warrant any difference and I'm not a huge Roval fan. The way the spokes mount through the frame make them kind of a pain. I've had a set of Carbones and loved them.

fogrider
01-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks!

I'm not sure why you want to go with carbon clinchers...they're not much lighter than other lightweight wheels and the braking is not as good.

iRide
01-04-2013, 11:13 PM
The wheels I'm looking at have an aluminum braking surface, with a carbon aero fairing, so the breaking is just as good!

fogrider
01-05-2013, 12:26 AM
The wheels I'm looking at have an aluminum braking surface, with a carbon aero fairing, so the breaking is just as good!

so the rims are not light at all! the braking surface adds weight and the carbon aero fairing means you get to fight the cross winds. Mavic Ksyrium SL are under 1,500 grams, slightly aero, more than strong enough for your 100 pounds and can be found for decent prices.

earlfoss
01-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Fogrider, there's the bling component to the equation though. That factors in at least an extra 20 watts.

thegunner
01-05-2013, 10:03 AM
so the rims are not light at all! the braking surface adds weight and the carbon aero fairing means you get to fight the cross winds. Mavic Ksyrium SL are under 1,500 grams, slightly aero, more than strong enough for your 100 pounds and can be found for decent prices.

you're kidding right? those tested to be as bad as box section wheels.

mike p
01-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Carbones are great wheels, I've owned a couple pair and loved them both. That said I'm 20 lbs under being twice your weight! If I weighed in at 100 lbs I'd try all kinda of different stuff. DA C24's, C35's, and C50's are all great very dependable wheels.

Mike

fogrider
01-05-2013, 03:48 PM
you're kidding right? those tested to be as bad as box section wheels.

works for cross winds! but really there are just lots of options for those riding conditions than heavy aero rims. and being such a light rider, light rims will spin up quickly.

kramnnim
01-05-2013, 05:18 PM
I've seen many people complain about Ksyrium SL's in crosswinds...they can also feel very harsh on rough roads, especially for lighter riders. I had a set for a few months, hated them and traded them for DA C24's, which were great until I switched to Campy.

bargainguy
01-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Carbones. Don't have them anymore, wish I still had.

Pete Mckeon
01-06-2013, 12:07 PM
for many seasons. YOU will never lose a sprint or a climb because of them, YES I am a big fan of MAVIC and my weight is more than a 150 and more than I would like:mad:

iRide
01-06-2013, 12:28 PM
I wasn't able to snatch the Carbones, are the Rovals still a dependable wheel? In crosswinds and for racing?

christian
01-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I would pass on the Rovals. Friends have had trouble with theirs.

tuscanyswe
01-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Id get some Reynolds. They make solid wheels and can usually be found at good prices.

Pete Mckeon
01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
I like MAVIC, SHIMANO, CAMPY, ZIPP and many others. GO with the pair that puts a smile on your face. You are not going to win a race because of any of them. YOU could lose if
ROVALs broke:mad:

I would pass on the Rovals. Friends have had trouble with theirs.

nightfend
01-07-2013, 04:16 PM
If you are concerned with crosswinds, get something like a HED Ardennes, or go to one of the cheaper builders like November/Boyd/Neuvation, and buy a set of their aluminum wheels.

Charles M
01-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Buy the new 202's...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=11045&status=True&catname=Tech%20News

Better in cross winds than either of your choices.

Better aero performance.

Better brake track than every other carb clincher on the market.

rnhood
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Very good review Pez, and it speaks well of Zipp's technology in carbon wheels. I have friends that ride them and also speak highly of them.

I do wonder though, if the aero advantage is all that much. For instance, the new DA 24CL wheel is about the same weight....maybe even a lighter rim....with no rider weight limit, an alloy brake surface and reasonably aero from what I can tell - but I am certainly no expert. Is the 202 lots more aero? I don't see any other potential advantage, and the DA wheel is much less money not to mention a hub with few peers.

weaponsgrade
01-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Nice write up on the 202 clinchers. I'm definitely interested in how you think they compare to the 303s. I recently picked up a set of 303 tubulars (firecrest) and think the performance is fantastic.

carlucci1106
01-09-2013, 06:23 AM
And weigh approx. 125. I have to say they ride very comfortably. Sometimes my hands go numb with my Mavic wheels, but with the Shimanos that never happens. They're aero enough, no crosswind feedback, weigh 1400g. and look uber cool. You can't go wrong if you find a deal.

Very good review Pez, and it speaks well of Zipp's technology in carbon wheels. I have friends that ride them and also speak highly of them.

I do wonder though, if the aero advantage is all that much. For instance, the new DA 24CL wheel is about the same weight....maybe even a lighter rim....with no rider weight limit, an alloy brake surface and reasonably aero from what I can tell - but I am certainly no expert. Is the 202 lots more aero? I don't see any other potential advantage, and the DA wheel is much less money not to mention a hub with few peers.

oldpotatoe
01-09-2013, 07:41 AM

$2500++for Zipp 202, I guess fine for somebody that doesn't pay for them.

YGBSM...for 1400 grams?

How about DT 240 hubs or DA 9000 hubs, 24/24 for this lightweight rider. DT 440 rims(OC rear) and thin spokes...for 'about' the same wheel weight, far superior hubs to any Zipp, and less than 1/2 the price.

Mikej
01-09-2013, 09:00 AM
$2500++for Zipp 202, I guess fine for somebody that doesn't pay for them.

YGBSM...for 1400 grams?

How about DT 240 hubs or DA 9000 hubs, 24/24 for this lightweight rider. DT 440 rims(OC rear) and thin spokes...for 'about' the same wheel weight, far superior hubs to any Zipp, and less than 1/2 the price.

OP wanted aero carbon clinchers. Also, the wheels OP stated were not carbon clinchers, but aluminum rims with a fairing. Also, box section rims are nowhere near the superior wind cheating FIRECREST or SMARTS and also tend to be less stiff with thinner spokes.

jlwdm
01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Buy the new 202's...

Pez, I always appreciate your reviews. I want several sets of new wheels and have been back and forth on carbon clinchers. I think you have pushed me over the edge. Here in TX I ride in a lot of wind.

Jeff