PDA

View Full Version : Steel Serotta Threadless Fork

msl819
01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Did Serotta ever make a 1" steel lugged fork that was threadless? If so are they impossible to come by? I have an older CRL with original for that I would like to source a steel lugged threadless fork for and was curious to know if Serotta ones could be had. I can always have one built but I would love to have the Serotta pantographed crown.

J.Greene
01-04-2013, 08:47 PM
I have seen a last or near last generation CSI with a traditional fork crown. I believe it was a Henry James crown iirc.

cachagua
01-04-2013, 09:32 PM
May I enquire what you're going to do with the CRL's original fork?

I guess I should also ask the frame size...

Keith A
01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Others may know better than I, but I've never seen a steel threadless fork from Serotta. The did make the F1 in both flavors, but most of them were threaded.

msl819
01-04-2013, 10:19 PM
May I enquire what you're going to do with the CRL's original fork?

I guess I should also ask the frame size...

I will keep it with the frame but wanted a threadless fork to be able to run a non-quill stem... Serotta if possible. Sounds like a needle in a haystack search. I would love for it to have the Serotta pantographs. Can't blame a guy for dreaming.

Keith A
01-05-2013, 06:19 AM
One possible option would be if you happen to ride a small frame, then you might be able to find a fork long enough to run as threadless one. The issues would be if the fork rakes match and it seems like I've read that some steel forks were butted and the area below the threads might not be strong enough to have a stem clamped to it. I have no idea if this applies to the Serotta steel forks.

Your other option is to run a threadless quill adapter.

msl819
01-05-2013, 11:20 AM
One possible option would be if you happen to ride a small frame, then you might be able to find a fork long enough to run as threadless one. The issues would be if the fork rakes match and it seems like I've read that some steel forks were butted and the area below the threads might not be strong enough to have a stem clamped to it. I have no idea if this applies to the Serotta steel forks.

Your other option is to run a threadless quill adapter.

Well it is a 62L frame so I am out of luck in regards to finding one threaded that I can cut down I am sure. I have thought about the threadless adapter route. Honestly, I don't love the look. I have a silver King threaded headset, I wonder if I could run the threadless adapter and use spacers to help the cosmetics of the adapter so the top of the HS and the bottom of the stem don't have that adapter look? Anyone tried this? Have a pic? I could use a sleeve on the inside to hold the spacers in line so they don't shift.

m_sasso
01-05-2013, 11:54 AM
BBB threadless adaptor

http://honda-tech.com/picture.php?albumid=9608&pictureid=88760

msl819
01-05-2013, 12:16 PM
BBB threadless adaptor

http://honda-tech.com/picture.php?albumid=9608&pictureid=88760

Thanks Marc. Do you have anything holding those spacers in place?

m_sasso
01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks Marc. Do you have anything holding those spacers in place?

No sir, nothing beyond the initial compression applied by the threadless adaptor cap and the spacers are the proper matched inner diameter for the adaptor.

http://bbbcycling.com/bike-parts/headset-parts/BHP-20
http://bbbcycling.com/bike-parts/headset-parts/BHP-21

SPOKE
01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Serotta did make at least one in 2003-2004. It was on my first CSi they built for me. I requested it specifically with a flat-type fork crown. They did a great job on this bike! I had originally asked for the TDF lug set but that detail got missed some how. When I pulled it out of the box for the first time that's when i noticed it didn't have the TDF lugs but it was such a nice looking frame set that I just couldn't part with it. I just told them that I'd buy another in a few years......and I did just that:banana:

Pete Mckeon
01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
2000. Special orders could have been made but I never recall a STEEL fork with threadless since 2000.
:confused:''

I would think if you wanted a threadless steel fork - KIRK or BEDFORD could make for you.. I have a wonderful riding KIRK steel frame with a steel fork he made for it. I think I will keep it for ALL my riding days,I LIKE IT>

Others may know better than I, but I've never seen a steel threadless fork from Serotta. The did make the F1 in both flavors, but most of them were threaded.