PDA

View Full Version : touche' Mr. Leleblanc

rphetteplace
10-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Armstrong strikes back at Leblanc
By Agence France Presse
This report filed October 28, 2005
Seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong made a stinging reply to the latest put-down by Tour de France director Jean-Marie Leblanc over doping accusations against the American star.

Leblanc said Thursday that he felt "disappointed and let down by Armstrong", who retired last July after his seventh consecutive victory in the gruelling stage race across France.

Allegations by the French newspaper L'Equipe claimed Armstrong used the banned hormone EPO (erythropoietin) in 1999 during his first Tour triumph, claims Armstrong has denied while the International Cycling Union investigates.

Armstrong, in a statement released Friday, hit back at Leblanc's critical comments regarding unproven allegations.

"Once again Jean-Marie Leblanc has taken an unsolicited shot at me and continues to ignore the truth," the 34-year-old Armstrong said. "And while he may want to erase the last seven years I have nothing but great memories of participating in the greatest sports event in the world.

"Jean-Marie claims the Tour deserves a better fate. I believe it deserves a better leader."

For better or worse, the Tour will have a new leader soon. Leblanc will retire at the end of next year and Christian Prudhomme will take charge of cycling's greatest event.

jeffg
10-29-2005, 06:19 AM
And, in my opinion, this has nothing to do with flag waving. I love France, the French, spent my honeymoon in France, our fifth year anniversary this year in France, and will be going back next year at least twice. I drink French wine, etc.

This just confirms to me that Armstrong has class, and Leblanc and the ASO are vulgarians. Jean-Marie is the one who has put a black mark on the TdF. Leblanc may be the CEO or whatever of the Tour, but the voices of patrons such as Armstrong, Hinault, EM will be what resonates far after this petty vindictive man has left the stage.

Andreu
10-29-2005, 07:57 AM
I agree. What Leblanc said or pontificated says more about Leblanc than it does about Armstrong. Perhaps he should keep quiet.
A