PDA

View Full Version : Google Nexus 4 phone

Dromen
01-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Has anyone tried this yet? Comments?

FlashUNC
01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Getting some rave reviews online. Google Play store has been out of stock for a while now, otherwise I would have given it a shot.

thegunner
01-04-2013, 01:36 PM
it's basically the LG optimus in a nicer form factor. which is to say it's the fastest phone you could possibly buy right now.

then again... i'm biased.

bagochips3
01-04-2013, 01:43 PM
A friend got one and promptly got rid of his Galaxy s3. He loves it. I was planning to buy, but it is always out of stock and now there is talk of the Motorola "X Phone" coming out this year so I may wait for that one.

rice rocket
01-04-2013, 01:50 PM
You get the "pure" Android experience, which I personally enjoy. It's cleaner and smoother than HTC Sense or Samsung's Touchwiz, but you do lose some of their features (which I consider chintzy).

Another bonus is you get OS updates first, and they come straight from Google, not LG (or your carrier), which is often months ahead of everyone else.

jpw
01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
not LTE

Andrewlcox
01-04-2013, 02:34 PM
A self proclaimed Apple fanboy who writes for Gizmodo seems to like it.

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/an-iphone-lovers-confession-i-switched-to-the-nexus-4-completely

jamesutiopia
01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
I have one. It's nice and works well. It's unlocked (great for travel, just pop in a local PAYG SIM card) and the price is right.

I ride with it in a plastic sandwich bag and it is happy enough in sub/freezing temperatures. Still don't understand why my, after so many years, my Garmin GPS doesn't use the phone's wifi/bluetooth data connection to automatically upload tracks to Strava/Garmin Connect/whatever. Did some troll patent this, of am I the only person who wants my GPS data online without plugging in cables?

Nexus 4 also has a notification LED (blinking red light), if that sort of thing is important for you (quite important to me).

deechee
01-07-2013, 10:02 AM
I love the phone but the camera is my main issue with it. Its terrible in low light and the focusing is bizzare. The flash stinks. I'm not a huge fan of the phonebook either. I'm hoping an OS fix will improve things. I don't understand why there's no native Android camera app.

I dropped the phone into the toilet last week as it was flushing but after taking it apart and drying it off, its working fine. Not too shabby for something that was fully submerged and water was flowing all around it.

If you're familiar with JellyBean, its the same experience. Reading on it is a pleasure with the large screen. Keyboard interpretation of my fat fingers is good but not as good as iOS, but the auto-correct is quite good.

The lack of accessories is frustrating. The Qi charging orb, the official bumper case (or any case for that matter) are not available. I have used Otterbox cases for my previous phones and wish I could find something similar for the Nexus4. Ironically I had just ordered a case from cruzerlite the day before the toilet drop.

Oh yeah, language input in JellyBean is a bit tedious in my opinion. If you're using anything besides the qwerty keyboard, you have to cycle between letters, numbers and whatever other language you want which takes too much time.

If you bought a 2012 Furby - the Android app seems to crash a lot on JellyBean. It works better on iOS.

bruin11
01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I have one. It's nice and works well. It's unlocked (great for travel, just pop in a local PAYG SIM card) and the price is right.

I ride with it in a plastic sandwich bag and it is happy enough in sub/freezing temperatures. Still don't understand why my, after so many years, my Garmin GPS doesn't use the phone's wifi/bluetooth data connection to automatically upload tracks to Strava/Garmin Connect/whatever. Did some troll patent this, of am I the only person who wants my GPS data online without plugging in cables?

Nexus 4 also has a notification LED (blinking red light), if that sort of thing is important for you (quite important to me).

I think the new Garmins (810 and 510) have the bluetooth capability to upload to Garmin Connect.

jamesutiopia
01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I think the new Garmins (810 and 510) have the bluetooth capability to upload to Garmin Connect.

Awesome! Time to replace the 705s :)