PDA

View Full Version : merckx monkey love

Dr. Doofus
10-28-2005, 01:26 PM
the corsa extra is back

love it

love it

(and if you ever see a green/white/red slx marinoni with a straight fork out in california, *tell the doof* cause monkeyboy would like that one back...sold it to a cat named ted sandico so doof could buy this pos moser that his shop boss told him he should get...doof said 58.5, 18 cm of setback, 58 tt, and GM made a kick-butt bike with some stupidshort chainstays and a 58.5 f-c, and probably around 55mm of trail (doof didn't exactly get train then) that is one of the bestest bikes he remembers)

William
10-28-2005, 04:11 PM
What's with the Funky Monkey Doc?

William

Too Tall
10-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Have you seen the hair on his back???? It is persian quality man, persian I tell you.

Doc, whats the deal. New bike? Dish.

Dr. Doofus
10-28-2005, 04:18 PM
got a frame from the jerk, made in taiwan with stuff gary powers and larry mullen would dig, with a fake-english name, from some belgian dude whose dad made his money in concrete....

pics in a week or so

but eddy is making corsa extras again!

(see the competitive cyclist site)

William
10-28-2005, 04:23 PM
http://www.gamezonecafe.com/images/comics/poothrowingvirusmonkey.jpg

fiamme red
10-28-2005, 04:31 PM
but eddy is making corsa extras again!

(see the competitive cyclist site)Good news!!!

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=1842

Ozz
10-28-2005, 04:47 PM
FWIW - I preferred Ava....here's a new one if you change your mind.

Big Dan
10-29-2005, 11:00 AM
The Corsa is a sweet bike.............. :banana:

Argos
10-29-2005, 11:23 AM
What model Ridley?

Sandy
10-29-2005, 01:10 PM

William

My wife and I have some stuffed animals and real people at home, which I have named:

1. Rare Bear
2. Funky Monkey
4, Cryin Lion
5. Cutey Dukey (Dog)
6. Sweety Tweety
7. Lovey Dovey (2 embracing stuffed somethings)
8. Your Glor (Human)
9. Dandy Sandy (Human??)

Dandy Sandy

Dr. Doofus
10-29-2005, 02:14 PM
What model Ridley?

cheap doofusmonkey bought a pegasus

but it had a crack

so the jerkpal sent it back

sinclair didn't have any more left.

doofchimp thought: should I get my money and send it to big website X and get an 8:30 for 1100 bucks?

after some butt scratching and grooming, doof says to jerk: I like dealing with people, not big mail order places...I know you can't get an 8:30 for amount X, but what can you hook a monkeybrudda up with?

jerk makes some calls

jerk has some gorillas strong-arm sinclair

jerk uses his super-jerk powers

jerk gets Dr. Zaius to throw it down as a last resort

jerk got doof an aeron as a warranty replacement for the pegasus

jerk sends it along with a bunch of get-well bananas

(jerk is the best)

when doof can ride something other than his trainer

(hey docs on the list -- is riding the trainer going to slow the healing of doof's small fractures in ribs 6+7, or is it just gonna hurt, like it does right now?)

he will ride this thing and give report

Fixed
10-29-2005, 03:37 PM
bro c.c. says slx is lighter than sl tubing? not on the two bikes I have why is that ? sir douglas will know the answer. cheers :beer:

dbrk
10-29-2005, 05:27 PM
I saw the Corsa at Interbike, it was hanging on the wall looking beautiful. I love the chrome, the steel fork...but it's a tight fit for anything but a 23c tire in the rear. I mean, on the Corsa that I recently sold (a 60cm), you couldn't get a Michelin ProRace 25c tire in there, no way, no how.

I have a Legend that has an F1 fork and I'm thinking of repainting and using a Reynolds Ouzo Pro because the rear has plenty of clearance but not the fork.

I do believe that the slx is a tad lighter generally than the sl, but there's not much difference in the ride, imho. Both were fine tubing to ride but perhaps not as great to build? I don't know about the building properties. Corsas were built in recent years with Deda tubing but some builders have chosen not to continue along those lines for reasons only they know. Merckx Corsa is, I think, now a Columbus tube bike.

It's not a disadvantage to put in a bit of clearance but it's all too common not to find enough. With Serotta, of course, all you do is ask and the bike has the clearance you ask for. You can do that with the Merckx but you're going custom and that's an upcharge. If you don't care to ride more than a 23c tire then, well, yer in bidddness, no problem.

dbrk

jerk
10-29-2005, 05:31 PM
interesting considering the corsa and the mx leader's pedigree as bikes for the classics, where they routinely bore tires in the 25-27 range.

dugast 25s fit fine on the jerk's mx leader.

jerk

coylifut
10-29-2005, 05:51 PM
interesting considering the corsa and the mx leader's pedigree as bikes for the classics, where they routinely bore tires in the 25-27 range.

dugast 25s fit fine on the jerk's mx leader.

jerk

i use 25s on my corsa. it's the Deda Uno model. I think I might be able to get a 28 to fit. The limiting factor is the rear brake.

Dr. Doofus
10-29-2005, 06:28 PM
slx is actually a tad heavier than sl

they are both cyclex alloy, but sl was springier and lighter -- big bikes that carried sl decals were sp. anything over 56cm in sl would ride like a bedspring

the rifling added a bit of stiffness, and it did add more metal but in a good way -- the rifled sections were at the tube junctions

slx was in doof's favorite bike -- that green/white/red marinoni...doof had to give back the mx to its rightful owner, and he liked the two xl-eco bikes he had as freebies, so he asked GM to make a bike with what he thought were the critical measurements at the time --setback and tt . the result was a little tighter on the front end and with less trail than the merckx, and more trail but still tighter up front than the giordanas...but it worked and was a nice nice bike...the moser leader ax it was replaced by was not so cool....

dbrk
10-29-2005, 06:34 PM
interesting considering the corsa and the mx leader's pedigree as bikes for the classics, where they routinely bore tires in the 25-27 range.dugast 25s fit fine on the jerk's mx leader.
jerk

This comment, the following in the thread, and GoodDoofus' remark are all worth noting. The brake bridge placement too was limiting tire clearance but honesttogoodness nokidding Iwi****weren'tso I could not for the life of me get more than a Conti 23c in both of the Corsas I have owned. Go figure because as the senor points out, these were Classics bikes and bikes that went the distance. Once I owned Axel's Motorola bike but alas it was too big even for the guy who loves big frames (me...).

dbrk
thinks the world of Serotta and Merckx...

CNY rider
10-29-2005, 06:48 PM
This comment, the following in the thread, and GoodDoofus' remark are all worth noting. The brake bridge placement too was limiting tire clearance but honesttogoodness nokidding Iwi****weren'tso I could not for the life of me get more than a Conti 23c in both of the Corsas I have owned. Go figure because as the senor points out, these were Classics bikes and bikes that went the distance. Once I owned Axel's Motorola bike but alas it was too big even for the guy who loves big frames (me...).

dbrk
thinks the world of Serotta and Merckx...

dbrk, again having posts edited because of the use of foul language!

:banana:

dbrk
10-29-2005, 07:47 PM
dbrk, again having posts edited because of the use of foul language!

How fun...all for trying to run together I-wish-it-weren't-so. Hmmm, may my mouth be washed out with soap.

Actually, for you all old enough to remember this punishment: did you ever actually have your parents wash out your mouth with soap when you were young and impertinent? My own importunity won me this reward at least twice. Ivory Snow, I believe. Not recommended. Funny how we would simply never imagine doing this to our children...or maybe they were just tough, I dunno, but I suppose I didn't turn out too the worse for it.

Gratuitous bike content: how come brake bridges are put so low when there 's plenty of room even with a short reach brake? I get that a slack seattube ankle and shortish chainstays will limit tire clearances but why then put the brake bridge so low? Get'sya'thinkin'don't...it?

phew, just dodged another bullet,
dbrk

coylifut
10-29-2005, 08:47 PM
my aunt once washed my mouth out with soap. it didn't help, i still curse like a long shoreman