PDA

View Full Version : Could you do a century on the trainer?

fiamme red
10-28-2005, 11:02 AM
If you live in the Baltimore area, you can apply by Nov. 16th to be part of Coach Troy's new video: Spinervals 26.0 - The Hardcore Hundred! (http://www.coachtroy.com/news.php).

Does this sound like fun to anyone here? :crap:

davids
10-28-2005, 11:18 AM
It sounds like pure torture. :no: :no: :no:

Dr. Doofus
10-28-2005, 11:21 AM
could be done

doof's record is 4.5 hrs on a trainer...so it could be done...

coylifut
10-28-2005, 11:24 AM
I was standing next to a friend of mine at GP CX race and he asked Marc Gullikson if he wanted to use his trainer. His response "oh no, I avoid those things at all costs." He then put on a head to toe rain suit and went riding in the pouring rain for two hours.

I can ride one for a full 1/2 hour before giving up.

JasonF
10-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Wow, I get bored after an hour or so on my spin bike, even with a Spinerval DVD...

Let's have some fun and make up an application to join the fun. We'll send in a picture of this guy, and list a 5-mile roundtrip bike ride to the local Krispy Kreme as the major cycling accomplishment of '05

jckid
10-28-2005, 11:29 AM
I would never even consider a 100 miles on a trainer! That would be torture! 1/2 hour is it for me. The fun of riding is being outdoors and enjoying the scenery. I prefer to put on a headlight and ride in the dark (rather than ride a trainer). Trainers are for rainy days and extremly cold days only!

Ozz
10-28-2005, 11:30 AM
...Does this sound like fun to anyone here? :crap:
fun like a lobotomy :eek:

dirtdigger88
10-28-2005, 11:33 AM
trainer- I can only go about 30 min.

rollers I can go for about 1 to 1.5 hours if I had to - usually I just ride them for an hour then hop on my home gym to finish off my legs-

mrs dirts stair climber can waste you in a heart beat as well

Jason

Argos
10-28-2005, 11:42 AM
I've done up to 10hrs a week on one, for a few weeks.

Last winter while getting ready for Mt Washington.

I'd need a big goal to do that again.

RABikes2
10-28-2005, 11:56 AM
His response "oh no, I avoid those things at all costs." He then put on a head to toe rain suit and went riding in the pouring rain for two hours.
I second these thoughts. I haven't rode a trainer in years. During Dec. and Jan., I'll ride with starting temperature's in the low 20's. Cold rain;NO :no: Warm rain; maybe.

Riding a trainer is like watching paint dry. :crap:

RA :rolleyes:

Fixed
10-28-2005, 12:19 PM
bro why don't you go to some spin class at least you can look at some girls .cheers :beer:

Ray
10-28-2005, 12:27 PM
fun like a lobotomy :eek:
I think it'd be closer to circumcision with a butter knife. :no:

-Ray

Ken Lehner
10-28-2005, 01:52 PM
If you live in the Baltimore area, you can apply by Nov. 16th to be part of Coach Troy's new video: Spinervals 26.0 - The Hardcore Hundred! (http://www.coachtroy.com/news.php).

I've heard of a RAAM rider that did centuries on a trainer. Facing a wall. In the dark. All to get ready for that exercise in sensory and sleep deprivation that is known as RAAM.

Roy E. Munson
10-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Argos,

Did you tackle Mt. Washington this year? You'd done it in past years, right?

fiamme red
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
I've heard of a RAAM rider that did centuries on a trainer. Facing a wall. In the dark. All to get ready for that exercise in sensory and sleep deprivation that is known as RAAM.Ken,

Does this rider have the initials A.H., and does he own a sailboat?

Tom
10-28-2005, 02:13 PM
I've heard of a RAAM rider that did centuries on a trainer. Facing a wall. In the dark. All to get ready for that exercise in sensory and sleep deprivation that is known as RAAM.

When I was a kid, we didn't have walls or darkness. We had ESPN SportsCenter. That'll suck your brains right out of your head!

george
10-31-2005, 11:34 AM
The longest I go on my Cycleops is 90 minutes. Most of my workouts are 45 minutes. I do however have my bike within view of my TV where I mostly watch cyling DVDs :)

djg
10-31-2005, 01:23 PM
my trainer is inside a moving airplane.

I tend to get bored on a trainer a bit before I get bored on rollers, but I don't commonly do more than an hour or so on either one and I'm often just looking for 40-45 minutes. I think that a century would really feel like it took a century, if I had to do it on a stationary trainer. No thank you.

MartyE
10-31-2005, 01:57 PM
to quote migraine boy:
"I'd rather catch pneumonia and die"

Louis
10-31-2005, 02:53 PM
When I was a kid, we didn't have walls or darkness. We had ESPN SportsCenter. That'll suck your brains right out of your head!

SportsCenter, that was living rich... You had it easy.

When I was a kid we didn't even have TV.

We had to ride rollers out in the mud, in the blinding snow, with no saddle, standing the whole time with wolves nipping at our heels...

Tom
10-31-2005, 03:23 PM
When I was a kid, we didn't have mud or snow. We had to get up before we went to sleep and ride our rollers in a hole in the middle of the road.

JohnS
10-31-2005, 04:54 PM
It's impossible to do a century on a trainer since you're not actually riding miles. My trainer time is measured by minutes and HR zone time. Think about it, you could put a 55:11 gear on your bike and stick it on the trainer with very light wheel pressure. or none at all. Pedal like hell and you could claim that you rode a century in under 3:30.

The Spider
10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
One day in Melbourne it rained...for the entire day....so I sat on the trainer and did 100km (not the same I know) my cheese and kisses nearly killed me, every 10 minutes I'd ask for a bottle refill, a snack, another magazine....at the 3 hour mark she left me to go walk in the rain.

Just say no to huge hours on trainers. Go do yoga or weights instead. Or read a book. Books are good.

David Kirk
10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
I used to train on the road with a guy who was a nordic skier. He was a kick arse road racer and would take his trainer and put it in the basement, turn out the lights and set an alarm for 4 hours and start hammering.

Different kind of guy.

Dave

Kevin
10-31-2005, 06:59 PM
I used to train on the road with a guy who was a nordic skier. He was a kick arse road racer and would take his trainer and put it in the basement, turn out the lights and set an alarm for 4 hours and start hammering.

Different kind of guy.

Dave

Perhaps the Unabomber. ;)

Kevin

11-01-2005, 04:32 AM
I have done 4+ hour rides on my trainer and I am only now getting into rollers and I do 60-70 minutes pretty much daily. I just set up my lab in the basement and put in some dvd's or music turn off the lights and suffer. The kind of mental punnshment makes solo centuries in the spring easy.

K

William
11-01-2005, 05:16 AM
Weelllll, when I was a kid, we had to ride our rollers to school in the snow, uphill, both ways, with no shoes and barbed wire wrapped around our feet for traction. That's just the way it was and we liked it!!

I'm oooooold! And I'm not happy! And I don't like things now compared to the way they used to be. All this progress -- phooey! In my day, we didn't have these cash machines that would give you money when you needed it. There was only one bank in each state -- it was open only one hour a year. And you'd get in line, seventeen miles long, and the line became an angry mob of people -- fornicators and thieves, mutant children and circus freaks -- and you waited for years and by the time you got to the teller, you were senile and arthritic and you couldn't remember your own name. You were born, got in line, and ya died! And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Life was simpler then. There wasn't all this concern about hy-giene! In my days, we didn't have Kleenex. When you turned seventeen, you were given the family handkerchief. ... It hadn't been washed in generations and it stood on its own ... filled with diseases and swarmin' with flies. ... If you tried to blow your nose, you'd get an infection and your head would swell up and turn green and children would burst into tears at the sight o' ya! And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Life was a carnival! We entertained ourselves! We didn't need moooovin' pitchurrrres. In my day, there was only one show in town -- it was called "Stare at the sun!" ... That's right! You'd sit in the middle of an open field and stare up at the sun till your eyeballs burst into flames! And you thought, "Oh, no! Maybe I shouldn't've stared directly into the burning sun with my eyes wide open." But it was too late! Your head was on fire and people were roastin' chickens over it. ... And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Progress?! Flobble-de-flee! In my day, when we were angry and frustrated, we just said, "Flobble-de-flee!" 'cause we were idiots and we didn't know what else to say! Just a bunch o' illiterate Cro-Magnons, blowin' on crusty handkerchiefs, waitin' in lines for our head to burst into flame and that's the way it was and we liked it!

William the Grumpy Old man :butt:

manet
11-01-2005, 10:30 AM

Different kind of guy.

Dave

richie karaz?!

fiamme red
11-01-2005, 11:04 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2001/diary01/scott0124.shtml
http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2001/diary01/scott0125.shtml
http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2001/diary01/scott0126.shtml
http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2001/diary01/scott0127.shtml

Here's one:

-------------------------------------
Entry #23

Hi Scott,

My name is Brian Kelly and I was mechanic for team Phonak this year. One of the riders on the team used to train 7 hours a day 4 times a week all year. He never went out on the bike to train - he only would arrive at the races and start. His name is Jean Nuttli and he is from Switzerland. He took up the bike 4 years ago when he was 120kg, he now races at 75kg he has won 4 time trials this year and finished third in the GP Eddy Merckx with Bert Grabsch.

Enjoy your season next year and say hello to Kim and the boys.

Brian Kelly

Sometimes there's a discrepancy between the legend and reality, as in these two entries (conveniently juxtaposed):

Danny Chew, the RAAM cyclist is famed for 8 hour trainer rides in his basement...with the lights turned off...

He says its to simulate riding through the desert at night, I just think he's psychotic.

Andrew Murdock
----
Entry #14

My longest roller rides were about 2 hours, but I have step climbed up the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning Building (400 feet tall) 86 consecutive times, gaining a vertical elevation of 38,000 feet.

Sincerely,
Danny Chew

Cadence230
11-01-2005, 05:34 PM
It's impossible to do a century on a trainer since you're not actually riding miles. My trainer time is measured by minutes and HR zone time. Think about it, you could put a 55:11 gear on your bike and stick it on the trainer with very light wheel pressure. or none at all. Pedal like hell and you could claim that you rode a century in under 3:30.
Yes you could cheat that way or you stay in your average heart rate zone for the same time that you can do a century. If you have a power meter you could even go so far as to do your average power and mph for the 100 miles. Let's say you averaged 160 watts for 5.5hrs at 19.8mph. Get on the trainer and set the resistance that allows you to pedal at 19.8mph at 160 watts and sit there for 5.5hrs. This what I do if I have to get back home for something but need to continue my ride time. I take what my average power has been and average mph and continue riding indoors at those numbers. :)

bcm119
11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
William... I guess you didn't get the memo. Nobody here likes post-1979 SNL dialogue. ;) :beer:

Fixed
11-01-2005, 07:40 PM
bro biking is about the outdoors if I had train indoors I'd ugh!! take up running bro all that talk of hours on a wind trainer or rollers sounds like torture to me .cheers :beer: