PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tacoma Double Cab

joep2517
01-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone has a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab. Currently I'm driving a 3 series. I love it but carrying my bike isn't that easy. I was looking at an SUV but the ones I like seem to be out of my price range. Could a bike fit in the back seat area of a Tacoma?

dogdriver
01-03-2013, 07:53 PM
FWIW, I have a Tacoma Double Cab with a 5 foot bed and consider it to be a perfect do-everything car/truck. Only change I would make is to do the 6 foot bed option-- that way, a 29er mountain bike will fit in back without angling in the bed. Not sure why you want to put a bike in the back seat, but think one would fit with the wheels off.

henrypretz
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
I agree on all counts with dogdriver. I would also opt for the 6 foot bed if I had it to do over. That said, I love my Tacoma. I have two fork mounts on the front bed rail, and our tandem "fits" diagonally with the fork hanging over the tailgate.
I am also able to fit my bike in the back seat (50cm frame)

joep2517
01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
FWIW, I have a Tacoma Double Cab with a 5 foot bed and consider it to be a perfect do-everything car/truck. Only change I would make is to do the 6 foot bed option-- that way, a 29er mountain bike will fit in back without angling in the bed. Not sure why you want to put a bike in the back seat, but think one would fit with the wheels off.

Thanks dogdriver and henrypretz.

dd, a couple of days a week I ride after work and I need to leave my bike in the vehicle. So I'm thinking either putting it in the back seat or buying a camper top (either a Lear or ARE) to store the bike. Just not sure how safe they are - trying to research that.

henrypretz
01-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Joe - I should have included that my bike fits with the front wheel off.

Henry

John H.
01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Get 6 foot bed, get a snugtop shell and make a rack that fits in the slots in the bed liner (fork mounts and 2x4).
I have had this setup on my Tundra double cab for 7 years.
New Tacoma double cab is about the same size as my Tundra.

coylifut
01-03-2013, 09:25 PM
i have the Tacoma 4x4 DB with the 6 foot bed and a 3 series. The truck is the ultimate mountain bike and winter ski rig. I have a topper and often sleep in the back on a pad. I can stuff 4 bikes in the back, 4 people in the truck and drive for hours while everyone is comfortable. I much prefer to drive the Tacoma in the winter. The truck sits up out of the road spray and with 4 wheel snow tires is excellent when slippery.

A topper is quite easy to break into and I wouldn't leave a bike back there without rigging up something to lock it to. The stock eye bolts are too small to get a legit chain or lock through. Putting the bike in the trunk of the 3 series with fold down seats is far easier then trying to stuff it into the back seat of the DB.

John H.
01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Yes, a topper is easy to break into- but not like it is tough to break into the cab of a truck to steal a visible bike.
Would I leave my bike in the back of my truck while I go to the store or eat dinner? Yes.
Would I leave my bike in the back of my truck overnight at a hotel? Not on your life.

ofcounsel
01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
My buddy has a Tacoma, and we simply through a blanket over the tailgate, then have the front wheels/forks hang over the tailgate, with the rest of the bike in the bed. We can fit 5 bikes pretty easy that way.

And a 29er will definitely fit in the back.

But... Why get rid of the 3 series?

Just buy a rack. Here's mine.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/photo40-1.jpg

HenryA
01-03-2013, 10:19 PM
If you do buy a truck with camper shell, just use a cable lock or chain to secure the bike. My Tundra has very stout tie down points to lock to. I suspect the Tacoma does as well.

joep2517
01-03-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm trying to figure a vehicle that will carry my bike so when I ride during the week I can leave the bike in the vehicle and it be safe. Ofcounsel, the 3 series won't hold the bike unless I just put in the back seat.

I figure the vehicles that can do this are a minivan, an SUV or a truck. I can't do a minivan - I looked at them but I just don't have it in me. A decent SUV is too darn expensive (with my budget). A compact truck (either a Tacoma or a Frontier) with a camper maybe my best bet. If anyone has another idea - that would be great.

xjoex
01-04-2013, 12:01 AM
I like my taco quite a bit. I have a cap, but since those locks are flimsy I put a cable lock through the frame if I am parking anywhere for a long time.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FT8nkOBm23Y/UNt_sbyf6EI/AAAAAAAAJhM/U18_WtwRjIU/s912/PC260196.jpg

-Joe

572cv
01-04-2013, 07:02 AM
One way to make the back of cab a little more obscure might be to use tint on the rear windows. Most states let you tint those. On the out of sight, out of mind theory.

crownjewelwl
01-04-2013, 07:15 AM
I was wondering if anyone has a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab. Currently I'm driving a 3 series. I love it but carrying my bike isn't that easy. I was looking at an SUV but the ones I like seem to be out of my price range. Could a bike fit in the back seat area of a Tacoma?

um...i can fit my big 29er in the trunk of my 3 series with the front wheel off and the back seats down

BCS
01-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Another option is a retractable bed cover. Take the front wheel off, bike lies flat in the bed, pull the cover and lock it--out of sight.

I have a Roll-n-Lock on my F150 and love it. Other brands to consider are Retrax and Bakflip.

AngryScientist
01-04-2013, 08:24 AM
if you love your three series, but some racks on it and call it a day.

i can get my bike in the trunk with the front wheel off and the seats down too.

n_maher
01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
if you love your three series, put some racks on it and call it a day.

^^ This. I can't imagine buying a new/different vehicle on the basis that it was not possible to get a bike in the trunk of my current vehicle. For me, folding the rear seats is not an option (two kids seats) so a roof top rack was the only solution. Yes, it's likely that the rack will add some cabin noise but a Taco is going to be way louder than a 3-series anyway.

To discourage theives I went with a rack that still requires the removal of the front wheel so not only would they have to steel the bike they'd have to break into the trunk to get the front wheel.

http://www.pbase.com/n_maher/image/147252749.jpg

Liv2RideHard
01-04-2013, 08:35 AM

Have you priced a double cab Taco? They can get very pricey man. Not sure what sort of SUVs you are looking at but a new Taco with options will likely cost you between $25 and $30k easy. Even used Taco's are expensive no matter what part of the country you are in. Just rack your 3 or get a used 3 series wagon.

christian
01-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Get over your fear of minivans. My Ody is the perfect neutral support vehicle.

Liv2RideHard
01-04-2013, 08:57 AM

The wifey drives an Ody. I racked the heck out of it. In the near future, once all 4 kiddos are grown a bit more, I will have to carry between 6 and 8 bikes on top and off the back. The thing floats down the road. Kids love the rear entertainment system. Hold lots of stuff. Do not be afraid of the minivan.

crownjewelwl
01-04-2013, 09:11 AM

say it isn't so...

you also admitted on another thread to owning clinchers!!

nicrump
01-04-2013, 09:20 AM
drift... any of you late model taco owners have radio issues? mine powers off at random. dealer of course says "looks fine to me" but there are countless posts on various forums with folks having radio issues with little success getting it resolved. accounts of multiple replacements and problem persists.

i'm not interested in having them replace it if it will continue. i am of the opinion it is a grounding issue somewhere and have considered going down that path on my own.

fwiw, 2011 access cab prerunner.

pjm
01-04-2013, 09:22 AM
I was looking at an SUV but the ones I like seem to be out of my price range.
Have you looked at the Mazda CX-5? I'm gonna test drive one this weekend with a 6-speed manual! 35 mpg on the highway with the front wheel drive (don't need or want AWD). The car mags say its actually fun to drive compared to all the other small utes.
Oh yeah, $21790 sticker.

christian
01-04-2013, 09:23 AM
say it isn't so...Loud and proud. Odyssey is absolutely the perfect vehicle for hauling pre-schoolers, bicycles, Christmas trees, stuff from Home Depot. The mileage sucks, of course, but that's what you get for driving a school bus around. Having had my fair share of cars, I can't think of anything I'd rather have at the moment.

PS: Honda of Tarrytown is good to deal with - so it's even closer for you to get one! :banana:

christian
01-04-2013, 09:23 AM
you also admitted on another thread to owning clinchers!!I commute to work a couple of times a week.

bluesea
01-04-2013, 09:30 AM
I use these fork mounts that slide onto the Toyota bed accessory rail. The lever is key lockable, offering a modicum of short term security.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7092/rockymountsclutchsdtruc.jpg

astaft
01-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Anybody try a Nissan Frontier dbl cab? Comparisons to the Taco dbl cab? The Frontier seems a little bit cheaper.

thx

AngryScientist
01-04-2013, 09:54 AM
i've always wondered why honda never made a small pickup. the taco has a cult following, and the frontier does pretty well too. presumably with how many people in the world love honda, and how americans love pickup trucks, this would have to be a winner.

crownjewelwl
01-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Loud and proud. Odyssey is absolutely the perfect vehicle for hauling pre-schoolers, bicycles, Christmas trees, stuff from Home Depot. The mileage sucks, of course, but that's what you get for driving a school bus around. Having had my fair share of cars, I can't think of anything I'd rather have at the moment.

PS: Honda of Tarrytown is good to deal with - so it's even closer for you to get one! :banana:

never say never, but NEVER!!!!!!!!

i do like me some clinchers though...

BCS
01-04-2013, 10:06 AM
i've always wondered why honda never made a small pickup. the taco has a cult following, and the frontier does pretty well too. presumably with how many people in the world love honda, and how americans love pickup trucks, this would have to be a winner.

Honda Ridgeline not small enough for you?

William
01-04-2013, 10:20 AM
http://www.silkohonda.com/uploads/2013%20Honda%20Ridgeline%202.jpg

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/accessory-images/large/ridgeline/2006-2009/honda-bed-mount-bike-attachment.jpg

I see them around.:)

William

n_maher
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Honda Ridgeline not small enough for you?

Fugly is too kind a description for the Ridgeline. It also does not appear to do anything well other than appearing to be a truck, but not really being able to perform the function of a truck. The high side rails of the bed make access miserable to anything in the back.

AngryScientist
01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
c'mon that's not a pick-up.

i'm talking about something that has two doors, a steering wheel, stick shift, 6ft bed and 4wd, that's about it.

if they made that, it would sell. fast. IMO

William
01-04-2013, 10:32 AM

i'm talking about something that has two doors, a steering wheel, stick shift, 6ft bed and 4wd, that's about it.

Most "trucks" on the market today are just big cars that have a trunk with no lid.

William

dogdriver
01-04-2013, 10:33 AM
FWIW, the Taco in action, probably 500 pounds over max GVW.

On another note, I dig the Ridgeline. The year I bought my truck, however, the Honda was new and quite a bit more expensive than the Tacoma. My farm boy past dictated that I get something that looked like what I think a pickup truck should look like, hence the Tacoma. It's look has since grown on me... Used prices on the Ridgeline, however, are much lower than a comparable Tacoma, and Honda has some genius features (under-bed "cooler" bin, below back seat storage, etc) for maximizing useful room. It is also far more comfortable than the Tacoma.

Liv2RideHard
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM
FWIW, the Taco in action, probably 500 pounds over max GVW.

On another note, I dig the Ridgeline. The year I bought my truck, however, the Honda was new and quite a bit more expensive than the Tacoma. My farm boy past dictated that I get something that looked like what I think a pickup truck should look like, hence the Tacoma. It's look has since grown on me... Used prices on the Ridgeline, however, are much lower than a comparable Tacoma, and Honda has some genius features (under-bed "cooler" bin, below back seat storage, etc) for maximizing useful room. It is also far more comfortable than the Tacoma.

Have you considered some firmer coils man? Maybe some OME's or something to help out with that sag when towing. I get it though, probably not dragging all that around all the time anyway. Nice set-up. I dig.

Taco over that thing Honda calls a truck.

BCS
01-04-2013, 10:45 AM

in Mexico

William
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Have you considered some firmer coils man? Maybe some OME's or something to help out with that sag when towing. I get it though, probably not dragging all that around all the time anyway. Nice set-up. I dig.

Taco over that thing Honda calls a truck.

My Landcruiser is set up Aussie style with OME's. Gives it that slight stink bug look when it's not loaded with gear.:)

William

Liv2RideHard
01-04-2013, 10:58 AM
My Landcruiser is set up Aussie style with OME's. Gives it that slight stink bug look when it's not loaded with gear.:)

William

I know we are drifting...but what series? 60, 80, 100? I have always like the LC80 built up like that. Heck I like all of em!

William
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
I know we are drifting...but what series? 60, 80, 100? I have always like the LC80 built up like that. Heck I like all of em!

I'm a 60 guy, but I like all the LC's. I would love to see the 70 series pick-up come to these shores. Don't think it will happen though.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/FJ60%20Landcruiser/IMG_8558.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/FJ60%20Landcruiser/IMG_7431.jpg

William

shovelhd
01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Fugly is too kind a description for the Ridgeline. It also does not appear to do anything well other than appearing to be a truck, but not really being able to perform the function of a truck. The high side rails of the bed make access miserable to anything in the back.

Spoken by someone who does not own one. That's your opinion.

I have an original 2005 (2006 model) Ridgeline with 145K on it. It has its shortcomings, but what it is capable of doing it does very well. If you're looking to drive into deep mud this is not the truck for you. If you are looking to ride around town with mudder tires, KC Hilites, air horns, and exhaust stacks harassing those annoying cyclists parading around in their underwear, this is not the truck for you.

If you want a midsize truck with AWD, decent gas mileage, that seats four comfortably and five in a pinch, with a 5 foot bed that has a huge, secure trunk, that can easily handle four bikes on the roof, two in the bed, and one in the back seat, and has most of the modern amenities of a luxury vehicle, then it might be worth looking into.

I race practically every weekend, driving all over the Northeast in my Ridgeline. It is a great race vehicle. I put my bike in the back if I'm solo. There is plenty of room to change in the back seat. I can fit my tools, trainer, and pit wheels in the trunk, locked, and out of sight.

Right now there is nothing out there that's better atmo to replace it, so I will drive it until there is.

William
01-04-2013, 11:25 AM

I have an original 2005 (2006 model) Ridgeline with 145K on it. It has its shortcomings, but what it is capable of doing it does very well. If you're looking to drive into deep mud this is not the truck for you. If you are looking to ride around town with mudder tires, KC Hilites, air horns, and exhaust stacks harassing those annoying cyclists parading around in their underwear, this is not the truck for you.

If you want a midsize truck with AWD, decent gas mileage, that seats four comfortably and five in a pinch, with a 5 foot bed that has a huge, secure trunk, that can easily handle four bikes on the roof, two in the bed, and one in the back seat, and has most of the modern amenities of a luxury vehicle, then it might be worth looking into.

I race practically every weekend, driving all over the Northeast in my Ridgeline. It is a great race vehicle. I put my bike in the back if I'm solo. There is plenty of room to change in the back seat. I can fit my tools, trainer, and pit wheels in the trunk, locked, and out of sight.

Right now there is nothing out there that's better atmo to replace it, so I will drive it until there is.

I know someone who has one and he loves it. I agree, pretty slick vehicle.

Now, for changing up at the races...:cool:

http://www.bigfatdog.com/forums/Tent/Rear.jpg

William

shovelhd
01-04-2013, 11:30 AM
BTW when I was shopping for the Ridgeline I spent a day in a Tacoma DC. I liked it a lot, especially the stick shift, which I prefer. Nice, torque-heavy motor. It seemed more narrow inside.

My wife drives a Highlander Hybrid.

Liv2RideHard
01-04-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm a 60 guy, but I like all the LC's. I would love to see the 70 series pick-up come to these shores. Don't think it will happen though.

William

Well executed man. I too like the 60's. My Uncle had one. Pristine, low miles, garaged, well maintained. Just recently found out he sold it...and didn't tell me. I was so upset. I am sure he would have given it to me. I was (am) pretty bummed. Oh well, I like what you did with yours. Cheers.

Guy

John H.
01-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Toyota is talking about starting to import the diesel Hilux Pickup into the USA!
Go to the Toyota website and make a suggestion if you like that idea- I did.

William
01-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Well executed man. I too like the 60's. My Uncle had one. Pristine, low miles, garaged, well maintained. Just recently found out he sold it...and didn't tell me. I was so upset. I am sure he would have given it to me. I was (am) pretty bummed. Oh well, I like what you did with yours. Cheers.

Guy

Aw man, that's too bad.:(

Thanks, I just wanted to set it up as a mild expedition style rig, which for a 60 makes it still very capable.

Toyota is talking about starting to import the diesel Hilux Pickup into the USA!
Go to the Toyota website and make a suggestion if you like that idea- I did.

http://static.motorstop.asia/my/profile/toyota/2012/toyota-hilux-double-cab/toyota-hilux-double-cab.jpg

Ah, now that would be a solid option in my book!! Just get rid of those running boards though. I'll head over to the Toy website and post up.

Btw, check out the Gall Boys 4x4 adventures and what they do with a fairly standard Toyota Prado. Pretty amazing what they are going through......pulling a full sized camping trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pXTEqVZA2I

William

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pXTEqVZA2I

n_maher
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Correct, of course it's my opinion and I don't own one but did consider and research them when I bought my Double Cab Tacoma and talked with several Ridgeline owners (current and former). They do what you describe quite well, which is serve less of truck function and more of a hybrid-SUV function. I used my truck as a truck, meaning hauling and putting material and large tools in and out of bed constantly. The Ridgeline is not good at that. The bed is short, narrow and nearly inaccesible from the sides. Does that mean it doesn't do anything well? Of course not. It suits your needs perfectly. Great. Does that make it a great truck? IMO, no. So I'm sorry I kicked your dog or whatever but that wasn't my intent and I wasn't just spewing nonsense about a topic that I know nothing about.

shovelhd
01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I used my truck as a truck, meaning hauling and putting material and large tools in and out of bed constantly. The Ridgeline is not good at that. The bed is short, narrow and nearly inaccesible from the sides.

No worries. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I haul stuff in my truck every weekend. I built a new deck and patio using it. I used to run an A/V contracting business with it, hauling tools, club-sized speakers, amplifiers, 65" plasma screens. It may have not been good enough for you doing these things, but it was plenty good enough for me.

Just sayin'.

dogdriver
01-04-2013, 01:55 PM

True. Looked into just that, but, despite the appearance, the truck is still operating within limits. I decided to eschew the level tow attitude in favor of a better ride the 98+% of the time I'm not dragging the camper...

joep2517
01-04-2013, 02:09 PM
I've been gone most of the day and the thread has taken an interesting turn. Don't get me wrong I like this drift.

To answer one question - the back seats to the 3 series won't fold down so I can either take off the front wheel and put the bike in the back seat or take it completely down and put the frame in the trunk and the wheels in the back seat (I never tried or wanted to do the latter idea).

The SUV's I've looked at would allow me to keep the bike in one piece - a highlander (which I really like), the Explorer and things that size. The prices have been north of 35K.

I thought about the Frontier but I seem to like the Tacoma.

If I had my druthers, I'd get me something a bit old school like the LC. This past October I made it to the Paris Auto Show. I saw this vehicle. I'm still whipping the drool off.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb67/Joep721/IMG_1247_zps40fcb5cd.jpg

gemship
01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
I guess it depends on the individual but in my opinion the Tacoma's have a nice drive train but the frames are crap. If you're going to lease one no problem, if you don't plan on keeping it for more than seven years you'll be ok and if you live somewhere it doesn't snow then pay no attention to my post but if you want something that will withstand ten plus years of New England winters and the Tacoma is the only truck you want then be prepared to pay attention to the frame and everything else from day one. Undercoating, wirebrushing, painting and oiling and cleaning meticulously. I have never encountered a brand more prone to rust and corrosion. I never used to think it but I am starting to believe with all the past years of recalls they actually go out of their way to source the worst steel with the most carbon in it. I know American trucks have their issues but a GM frame or a Ford frame is much more substantial than a Tundra or Taco in my opinion.

To the op having said all that I second the opinions of others to make your beemer work for carrying a bike. You'll miss that ride if you go the Tacoma route just for bike hauling. However if you have truck related uses in mind that go beyond what you stated here then go for it.

William
01-04-2013, 02:18 PM
I've been gone most of the day and the thread has taken an interesting turn. Don't get me wrong I like this drift.

If I had my druthers, I'd get me something a bit old school like the LC....

I'm not trying to be an enabler or anything....
http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicle-trailer-classifieds/

Well, maybe I am.;)

William

William
01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
I guess it depends on the individual but in my opinion the Tacoma's have a nice drive train but the frames are crap. If you're going to lease one no problem, if you don't plan on keeping it for more than seven years you'll be ok and if you live somewhere it doesn't snow then pay no attention to my post but if you want something that will withstand ten plus years of New England winters and the Tacoma is the only truck you want then be prepared to pay attention to the frame and everything else from day one. Undercoating, wirebrushing, painting and oiling and cleaning meticulously. I have never encountered a brand more prone to rust and corrosion. I never used to think it but I am starting to believe with all the past years of recalls they actually go out of their way to source the worst steel with the most carbon in it. I know American trucks have their issues but a GM frame or a Ford frame is much more substantial than a Tundra or Taco in my opinion.

To the op having said all that I second the opinions of others to make your beemer work for carrying a bike. You'll miss that ride if you go the Tacoma route just for bike hauling. However if you have truck related uses in mind that go beyond what you stated here then go for it.

There is some truth to this, but if you take care of it it will last a long long time. I hit my LC at least three times a year with Fluid Film. It does a great job of stopping rust. 27 years and counting.....:)

William

gemship
01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
There is some truth to this, but if you take care of it it will last a long long time. I hit my LC at least three times a year with Fluid Film. It does a great job of stopping rust. 27 years and counting.....:)

William

yep ever since I had to unload my 2000 Tundra six months before Toyota owned up to those years and offered a recall I do that to my Chevy. A combo of that scraping, brushing painting and really getting into it at the carwash. Any truck or even a car can benefit from cleaning and fluid film. Your LC looks like a labor of love no doubt.I can honestly say though both trucks are nearly identical in options and fleet trucks and the silverado just seems to be more substantial in the frame dept.

joep2517
01-04-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm not trying to be an enabler or anything....
http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicle-trailer-classifieds/

Well, maybe I am.;)

William

Thanks William. Thanks.....

joep2517
01-04-2013, 02:41 PM

gemship, agreed. The Tacoma would be used to haul more than just the bike - owning a home dictates that.

noahgenda
01-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Anybody try a Nissan Frontier dbl cab? Comparisons to the Taco dbl cab? The Frontier seems a little bit cheaper.

thx

I looked at both and went with the Frontier double cab, echoing others I wish I had gotten the 6 foot bed instead of the 52ish" bed.

Regardless it still seats 5, gets 22-25mpg, has plenty of power, 4WD is strong like bull, and its fun to drive. I live in the city so its a perfect city truck but I also haul gravel/dirt/firewood often and its great for that + weekend trips all over the PNW.

Oh and the towel over the tailgate is the best option, fits 5 mountain bikes easy.

edit:

compared to the Taco its pretty different honestly. The Tacoma sits higher, has more high end HP, standard 6 foot bed, and sells for over KBB in Portland. My Frontier vs comparable taco was 5K cheaper.

572cv
01-05-2013, 04:32 PM
I picked up a new-to-me Frontier extended cab this fall, from "down-country". Its an 06 with 40K on it, a 6 spd std, and 4WD. No rust. The first thing i did was take it to the best oil undercoating place in the area. If you do that, or the fluid film equivalent annually, it will last fine, even in Vermont.

The rear opening doors let a bike squidge in behind the seats without much trouble. I also have a Truxedo lopro tonneau on the 6 ft bed, so if I'm not overly concerned with security, I can leave a bike out of sight in the bed, locked. I like the Frontier, a decent small truck with good handling, not-awful mileage, acceptable cruise control, and fairly quiet. It handles well in the snow too.