PDA

View Full Version : Rollers or Cyclosimulator?

jckid
10-28-2005, 10:11 AM
With the time change coming, I'm thinking about an indoor trainer. What should I consider? I've heard rollers are pretty good, but I just cannot ride them. I tried once, and it was pretty much a disaster! Do the fork mounts used in conjunction with rollers work ok? Would a fork mount stress the headtube or fork? What about the Cateye Cyclosimulator? Anybody tried it?

dirtdigger88
10-28-2005, 10:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/dmcantrell/forum_stuff/beatDeadHorse1.jpg

learn to ride rollers- WITHOUT that goofy front fork thing

Jason

bostondrunk
10-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Riding rollers with a fork mount kind of defeats the purpose of using rollers...

Buy a mag trainer or a fluid trainer. Who the hell wants to concentrate on rollers anyway. With a mag trainer your hands are free to work the TV remote....you can sit up and stretch without falling, etc. etc.

Too Tall
10-28-2005, 10:27 AM
http://www.glorycycles.com/elflprtr.html

+ CycleOps DVDs and call me in the springtime.

Spectrum Bob
10-28-2005, 10:28 AM
I just go a used set of rollers and I find them hard to use. I have the bruises to prove it ouch! But the other day I did a ½ hour on the rollers only stopping once and a Spinervals tape on the old trainer and felt like I got a great workout. I have a strap hanging from the ceiling to help get started though I was able to get started once without it on my last try. The rollers I got came with a home made wooden platform that fits between the front and rear drums – above the frame - but does not impede the movement of the belt – I can’t imagine using this evil thing without this platform.
I do think that mastering the rollers will make me a better cyclist.

Dekonick
10-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Look - If I can ride rollers, anyone can.

Give it 10 minutes of falling before you give up - after a few times it is really pretty simple - the hard part is not over reacting and over correcting. Try in a doorway with one hand holding the door frameand the other on the bar - start going. You will notice that almost immediately the front wheel will track to one side or another - just make small adjustments until it tracks fairly straight - increase speed then try hands off wall. You can then bounce your shoulders if you lose control. I know everyone is anti performance rollers, but they make some with curved outer edges that will gently guide you back to the center. It makes learning easy. If you then want other rollers buy the K's and sell the P's...

Don't give up on rollers yet - they aren't that hard to learn.

William
10-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Another helpful hint for starting out is to put a straight edge (of some sort) out in front of you on the floor. It could be a piece of 2 x 4, a yard stick, a line of shoes....what ever. Line it up from the center of the front drum (starting about a foot or so out) pointing directly out in front of you. This gives you a visual reference of where the center of the rollers are with out having to constantly crank your neck down to stare at your front wheel on the drum. Also, when you get comfortable being able to watch training videos etc...while riding, you can still use it. Your peripheral vision still picks it up to give you that reference point.

Give it another go before you give up.

William

Bradford
10-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Learning how to ride rollers is like learning to water ski. At first it seems impossible, but once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy.

I got my wife to ride rollers, so anybody and do it. It took about three sessions before she got it. She can't shift on them, but she can stay up for as long as she wants. I recommend learning with a friend who knows how to ride them and have him help you through it.

William, I put a TV in front of the rollers for my focus and watch the tube. Actually, I have two tvs going, one with regular tv and one with a cycling video with the voice turned down. Now that I think of this, maybe this isn't the best way to learn rollers. Wait, strike that, reverse it, hmm...go with the straight edge.

bostondrunk
10-28-2005, 11:37 AM
I just don't see the point. Are you guys not able to ride your bikes in a straight line without training on rollers??
Set up a mag trainer, do your intervals, and be done with it!! :)

dirtdigger88
10-28-2005, 11:44 AM
drunk- when I am on a mag trainer I get bored- since I dont have to keep my balance or worry about staying up right-

to me rollers at least give me something to do so to speak- rather than just sit and spin my cranks-

it seems to make the time pass faster

Jason

William
10-28-2005, 11:47 AM
I just don't see the point. Are you guys not able to ride your bikes in a straight line without training on rollers??
Set up a mag trainer, do your intervals, and be done with it!! :)

That might work well and good for you BD, but Rhea Basset detests trainers. Everyone I've ever had she's slobbered on then thrown out the front window. (sigh) I'm tired of replacing windows. The hum of the rollers on the other hand lulls her to sleep. Got to be careful though. if you stop before she's dozed off your dead meat..... :eek:
http://www.yourbikesucks.com/dog%20bite.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/23/28105380_8f16ab90b6_m.jpg
BaaWoo!
BaaWoo!

William ;)

Too Tall
10-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Bob, problem is you need to let go of the strap. Holding it between your teeth as you demonstrated the other night is just bad dentistry. I left you a bag of broken glass to spread on the floor which will help motivate you to stay on the bike. :cool:

marle
10-28-2005, 01:31 PM
My roller set up -- wall 2 inches from left side and 4x8 gym mat on right. Get in the bike by leaning my against the wall and begin to spin.

dirtdigger88
10-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Any more I just have the rollers in the middle of the room- stand the bike on them- clip in with my left foot and hop on the bike and pedal-

but Im still trying to learn on the unicycle

Jason

jdoiv
10-28-2005, 02:45 PM
I stick my rollers between a very cluttered garage wall and my wife's call. If I fall off I'm either doin' damage to myself (garage wall) or my wife's car (again damage to myself, after the fact).

I find that if I just focus on something in front of me, I don't worry about ridding of the rollers. Just think about riding straight ahead and whatever object your focused on. If you start looking down and focusing on the edge of the roller, that's where you will end up....

Just relax and spin...

OldDog
10-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Ya gotta learn to ride the rollers while watching a Paris Rubaux (sp?) video through the cobbles on a big screen....If you can pay attention to the video bouncing all around and stay on the rollers, your good.

Lost Weekend
10-28-2005, 03:53 PM
How bout the unicycle on rollers- I havn't seen that trick yet. Of course while drinking a beer ( for BD's entertainment)

William
10-28-2005, 04:00 PM
How bout the unicycle on rollers- I havn't seen that trick yet. Of course while drinking a beer ( for BD's entertainment)

BD on a unicycle drinking beer while riding rollers. Now THAT I would pay to see. :D Of course he would want Rhea Basset there for motivation. ;)

BaaWoo!
BaaWoo!

William

Spectrum Bob
10-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Too Tall

You are just too good to me! Thanks for the bag of glass – I will carefully spread the sharp jagged peices around the 2 - 1x12s I made with all the 3in drywall screws I already had on either side of the rollers.

William
10-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Too Tall

You are just too good to me! Thanks for the bag of glass – I will carefully spread the sharp jagged peices around the 2 - 1x12s I made with all the 3in drywall screws I already had on either side of the rollers.

I could mount some 8" Bowie's to a couple of 2 x 4's to put on each side of your rollers. If that doesn't motivate you to stay on........ :rolleyes:

William

Too Tall
10-28-2005, 04:22 PM
You've invented a new sport. Roll or Die.

Marron
10-28-2005, 04:23 PM
OK all you surfer dudes; how many of you are polishing your cross stepping on an Indo Board? I've been spending some time rolling around on a newly acquired Pro model and it struck me as being not dissimilar to riding my rollers; it's tricky to do well, feels kinda like the real thing, but really has little impact on your "form".

I've always enjoyed rollers but could never discern any effect on my pedaling technique. Call me crazy, but I think that sizing, positioning and cleat placement have more to do with your supplesse than riding rollers or fixed.

William
10-28-2005, 04:26 PM
You've invented a new sport. Roll or Die.

Kind of gives new meaning to "Rollerblades". ;)

William

keno
10-28-2005, 04:42 PM
as you've inspired me to invent HINDUROLLERS - rollers surrounded by a bed of nails.

BTW, BD, what would you know about straight lines and how?

keno

manet
10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
http://www.chirobase.org/04Ads/Gifs/stimulator.jpg

keno
10-28-2005, 05:24 PM
http://www.fastexercise.com/

including testimonials and ariticles only a mother could love.

A bargain at half the price.

keno

beungood
10-28-2005, 06:19 PM
William showed me a good tip for the rollers, all you need is the side of a 1 ton pick-up truck to help you start out and pads on your arms to help break your fall...... :banana:

Too Tall
10-28-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure where this is going but somebody's going to put an eye out and it won't be so funny anymore ;)

Ken, for that kind of cash I'll drive you to Buffalo.

William
10-28-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure where this is going but somebody's going to put an eye out and it won't be so funny anymore ;)

All fun and games eh.....aaaall fun and games. :no:

William

keno
10-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I never run with an open multi-tool in my hands just for that reason.

keno