PDA

View Full Version : requesting forum input for a cycling map project

MadRocketSci
01-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Hey all,

I would like to get some input for a cycling map project I've been working on. It's basically an online version of a physical map with pins and tacks in it, and I'm hoping to make one that is by and for paceline members. Since we all like climbing (right??), I've decided to put together a map which marks where all the cool climbs are, as well as other locations that would be useful to both local and traveling cyclists - dirt/gravel sections, notable bike shops, resupply, parking, and bathrooms, places where local cyclists hang out before and after rides, and anything else of cycling interest.

So I've started with some climbs I know fairly well, in the SF and Denver areas where I currently live. Here is what I have, please check it out:

http://maptacks.net/paceline/usacanada.html

yes it is presumptive of me to use the forum name but i really think this can be a useful resource for a lot of people here. If not then i'll change the path...

There are other sites for making online maps, but I find them to be lacking in many ways for this purpose. So I've decided to program my own site with functions that I think are useful - quick navigation between "tacks," search capability, the ability to show your current location on the map, and a lat/lon output which can be quickly pasted into the google maps app/website for directions. I've also formatted the site so that it looks good on a tablet (i test on an ipad) and is useable on a larger screened phone. I am not trying to create a new mapmyride or ridewithgps with individual routes marked out, but rather something that can be used for locating climb starting points and the support elements that someone from out of town would appreciate, and can be used on an ipad or bigger phone while traveling.

For my own inputs I have limited them to climbs and places that I know well, and am looking for others here to help provide similar data for areas they are familiar with. Eventually i'm hoping this map can help the "where should I ride" and "which shops should i visit" type threads that pop up from time to time.

So for those interested in participating...for all noteworthy climbs and supporting places that you have first hand knowledge and experience with, that do not currently exist on the map, please email (admin@maptacks.net) the following for each location:

your forum user name or real first name last initial, whichever you prefer
the name of the climb/place
its latitude/longitude (see below)
a useful description not over 700 characters. if it goes over i will do my best to edit it down.
the location's type..here are the choices
- classic road climb
- dirt/gravel section
- notable bike shop (a destination shop that is distinguished among the local choices)
- place to resupply along the ride, parking spots, and/or take bathroom breaks
- places that are great for pre/post ride hanging out, where you will find other cyclists
- anything else that would be interesting to fellow cyclists, or perhaps a gathering place for a forum event....

how do you get the lat/lon? use my handy web-tool: http://maptacks.net/tools/latlonfinder.html (you can click on the map, use your current location, or enter an address...)

There is a way to enter the data directly into my database using a web interface, but i'd like not get into that right now. If you're interested email me (admin@maptacks.net) and i'll send you the url and login info.

Bay Area and Denver people, please look over what I have so far and email me (admin@maptacks.net) any suggestions or corrections. I am particularly interested in inputs from CO people as I'm relatively new here and looking for local input for my own ride planning...

European forumites, I would love to get your contributions. If I get a enough I will gladly create a map for Europe.

Notes on using the map on phones: this is a web page, not an app, so there are some things to keep in mind. I think that unfortunately the pre-iphone5 screens are just too small for this to be useable, and I haven't gotten to try it on on iphone 5 to see how it works there. But you're welcome to play with it and decide for yourself. I personally have been testing it on my Android phone, a Galaxy Nexus, and find these big enough to be useful - ie not great, but good enough. The trick is to adjust the map size, using pinch-to-zoom on the baby-blue non-map areas, to a size that works for you. If the page zooms in too far, double tap on an empty light blue space and it will zoom back out. It takes a little practice. In the end I think that despite the limitations this is something that can be useful on the road.

It does work well on a PC.

Disclaimer: I am not a real programmer. This is something I've been learning to do for fun while my kid naps and it's a work in progress. I welcome suggestions from real web programmers. Don't hack me please :)

Anyway, check it out, I hope you guys find it to be a potentially useful tool and have a desire to contribute to it. Thanks for reading, and enjoy!

Ben/Madrocketsci

MattTuck
01-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Ben,

Looks pretty cool, I know a few people who use the google maps API and know it has some pretty powerful tools, but can be a challenge to work with.

I think strava already has a pretty rich database of climbs, so I'm not sure you'll be able to add much value in that regard. Also, I don't think strava specifically separates out the dirt road sections as 'dirt', but people can make their own segments.

It is a cool idea to have resupply and bathroom points marked off though! At some level I like the idea of local climbs being curated a bit more than what strava has done, because you often get several segments that overlap and are substantially the same, or just sections of, a climb. Curating would keep it a little more consistent.

Keep up the good work!

MadRocketSci
01-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned in the intro I'm not trying to make another mapmyride or ridewithgps or strava. I find those to be mostly overrun with redundant data, difficult to distinguish the quality/characteristics of a route, and requiring users go through too many options/interfaces to find what they want. I think they are much easier to use if you have some idea of what you are looking for and do have a lot of route details that i'm not getting into.

So what does this map do?

- filters out the noise and concentrates on the great destination climbs in an area (ie, no 400 ft interval training hills shown)
- uses descriptions provided by forum members you know and love only
- provides a lat/lon which the native google maps app or website can use for navigation
- displays your current location on the map, also helping with navigation
- provides filtering so you can quickly scan an area for climbs, bike shops, etc
- provides search so you can quickly find anything using only partial text fragments. combine with filtering for even quicker results
- useable on the road, during a ride, to find food, supplies, bathrooms and a place to unwind with local cyclists afterwards
- shows local parking used by cyclists
- gives a "best of" list for visitors with limited time - less clutter and overlap, more organization

Use cases:

1) You're planning on going somewhere for business or vacation. Don't know much about the area, and Strava/MMR/RWGPS are a bit overwhelming. You go to this map, filter for classic climbs (ie uncheck all boxes on the right except for red, click "filter tacks by type") click next/prev and get a quick overview of the area's best climbs. Armed with that info, you can narrow your choices and get more details from the above sites. You can also use the bike shop filter to find great lbs's to visit, or places where you can rent a bike. Find dirt sections if you're into that, or avoid them if you're not.

2) You're new to an area. This map will give you a head start for finding the useful places that would take a season of riding to discover.

3) You're visiting somewhere, you have a bike. Choose a ride that interests you, find a marked nearby parking place and copy/paste the lat/lon data into the google maps search field on your phone. Hit directions, voice navigation, etc, find where the local cyclists are loading/unloading and have more time to ride w/o wondering where to leave your car. Start the ride...need a natural break? Don't pee in the grass...cycle through nearby green tacks, display your location to see if there's a good pit stop nearby that you can make it to. Need a snack or 32oz gatorade? Search again for resupply stops where you can grab some quick carbs and take a break. Before heading back to your car, check out one of the post-ride stops nearby where the local cyclists are winding down...

Anyway, that's the vision that can only be achieved with help from you guys. If you're interested in helping but don't want to use email, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Ben