PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Campy question

Robbos
01-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm considering taking the plunge on a new gruppo, but I've got reservations on the newer campy shifters. I've been running the coveted 10 speed ergo shifters and this year I test rode a bike equiped with 2012 Athena. I found the shifting feedback to be far too light for my tastes. I've heard that for 2013 the shifters are been 'stiffened up' for more feedback when changing gears. Is this true? Is this across the board? I'm seriously considering an Athena gruppo, though I'd probably splurge for Chorus shifters just to have the multiple up/down shift thing.
Between Centaur, Athena, and Chorus (shifters aside), is there a marked difference in performance? Pricing on Athena and Centaur is very close...
Thanks!

camchris1
01-02-2013, 05:54 PM
I was just about to post a similar thread to yours after receiving some good comments on one I started about Sram vs. Campy.

I'd like to add to your questions one about Chorus 11 if I may. A lbs told me today that Chorus 11 is slated to be eliminated from the line. Anyone know anything this?

Tony T
01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Here's a comparison chart from Campy (w/o Centaur, but you can compare Athena/Chorus): http://www.r11.campagnolo.com/en/confronta/item_compare-11s-groups.jsp

dd74
01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I'd look at the Campy website or call Campagnolo in Carlsbad, CA. for that sort of information. I know the thumb portion of the shifters were changed for Campy EPS, and IMO, are positioned much better than the mechanical version. As well the EPS shifters can be adjusted for tension, but I'm not certain this can be done for mechanical Campy shifters.

dd74
01-02-2013, 05:56 PM
I was just about to post a similar thread to yours after receiving some good comments on one I started about Sram vs. Campy.

I'd like to add to your questions one about Chorus 11 if I may. A lbs told me today that Chorus 11 is slated to be eliminated from the line. Anyone know anything this?
Maybe to be replaced by Record/Super Record mechanical?

jds108
01-02-2013, 05:58 PM
To the OP - try out Chorus (or Record or SR, these three are the same) 11sp shifters if you can. Since Athena has a different internal mecanism, you might find the feel is different. I haven't used the Athena myself but find Chorus and Record to be just fine as-is.

AngryScientist
01-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Where do you live robbos?

biker72
01-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm considering taking the plunge on a new gruppo, but I've got reservations on the newer campy shifters. I've been running the coveted 10 speed ergo shifters and this year I test rode a bike equiped with 2012 Athena. I found the shifting feedback to be far too light for my tastes. I've heard that for 2013 the shifters are been 'stiffened up' for more feedback when changing gears. Is this true? Is this across the board? I'm seriously considering an Athena gruppo, though I'd probably splurge for Chorus shifters just to have the multiple up/down shift thing.
Between Centaur, Athena, and Chorus (shifters aside), is there a marked difference in performance? Pricing on Athena and Centaur is very close...
Thanks!

I have a 2012 11sp Athena group on my Seven Titanium bike. Changed the shifters to Chorus. Much better feel.

Robbos
01-02-2013, 06:10 PM
I've been reading a fare bit on new campy bits and there seems to be a lot of issues with the Powertorque cranks, shifter feedback, etc.. I'm running 10 speed Centaur shifters on 9 speed Dura Ace bits, and I have to say it all works quite well, though it is getting old.
As an ex bike mechanic (now just a humble home mechanic) I appreciate parts that are easy to service without expensive tools. Powertorque sounds like a nightmare, and apparently the new shifters cannot be serviced (in that campy won't sell parts for them).
I'm sure I'd love the new chorus, but its far too expensive for me, he said as his baby girl was giving him cute looks and making him feel guilty...

oldpotatoe
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
I've been reading a fare bit on new campy bits and there seems to be a lot of issues with the Powertorque cranks, shifter feedback, etc.. I'm running 10 speed Centaur shifters on 9 speed Dura Ace bits, and I have to say it all works quite well, though it is getting old.
As an ex bike mechanic (now just a humble home mechanic) I appreciate parts that are easy to service without expensive tools. Powertorque sounds like a nightmare, and apparently the new shifters cannot be serviced (in that campy won't sell parts for them).
I'm sure I'd love the new chorus, but its far too expensive for me, he said as his baby girl was giving him cute looks and making him feel guilty...

I wouldn't describe Powertorques as a 'nightmare'. Need a 14mm allen to install it's not that big of a deal.

Ultrashift(Chorus thru SR) and Powershift(Athena down thu Veloce, Atneha being 11s)..do not have individual parts, but shift assemblies..body,shifter guts..about $80-$100. BUT the innards of Ultrashift/Powershift is much different than 2008 and older ERFGO..no shioft springs, no spring carrier.

Not much to go wrong.

Shifting 'feel' is lighter than 2008 and older ERGO..I've installed many Powertorque cranks and have seen no issues at all. No noise, looseness, any other problems.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2013, 06:25 PM

I'll check but I doubt it..if anything 'should' be eliminated it's Record, IMHO.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2013, 06:26 PM
I'd look at the Campy website or call Campagnolo in Carlsbad, CA. for that sort of information. I know the thumb portion of the shifters were changed for Campy EPS, and IMO, are positioned much better than the mechanical version. As well the EPS shifters can be adjusted for tension, but I'm not certain this can be done for mechanical Campy shifters.

Which 'tension'?

jlwdm
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM

I just googled the Campagnolo 2013 Catalog and it includes a Chorus Group.

I had 2007/08 Record 10 shifters and when I first got the new lever shape it felt different as slightly different muscles were used. I now have all three bikes with the new shape and love them.

Early 2009 Centaur shifters were a soft shift, Record and Super Record are great as is.

Jeff

Ralph
01-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Maybe not what you are asking but.....I ride two bikes...Both new style 10's Campy Centaur (currently double Power TQ is 42-52 and triple Ultra Shift is 30-42-52). One is 2011 Power TQ the other is 2010 Ultrashift. Both shift just fine. Both have same comfort level. I don't necessarily prefer one over the other. I don't ride a compact on either, so never "dump" rear shifts. I get the feeling the Ultra Shift is better only because so many folks say it is. In riding, in some ways, I think the Power TQ shifts better. I especially like how the Power Tq down shifts in front. Three clicks up, and "slam" one push down. Ultra Shift 3 clicks up, 3 down. I think they are both fine. BTW....The Athena would be multiple up, but one down at a time.

Sure.....I would prefer Chorus shifters over Athena.....but not by much. And for sure....wouldn't pay much extra to have them....if buying an Athena Group. MHO

rounder
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
I went from 7-speed Suntour GPX to 7-speed Ultegra to 8 speed Duraace to 10-speed Record (silver) to 10-speed Record (carbon) to 11-speed Chorus. Each time, things got better. But things were never that bad before.

I did it mainly to see what else was out there. Everything worked. I like Campy best because i like the aesthetics and history.

camchris1
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I did it mainly to see what else was out there. Everything worked. I like Campy best because i like the aesthetics and history.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much where my head is at. You summed it up very well.

pdmtong
01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I'll check but I doubt it..if anything 'should' be eliminated it's Record, IMHO.

exactly....C11 is the value purchase....SR11 for the person who has everything.

R11...if you are going gto spend more than C11, just go all the way to SR11.

dd74
01-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Which 'tension'?
Maybe "tension" isn't the correct word, however on EPS, Campagnolo calls it "Micro-Switch with Mulit-Dome Technology." Their web site says it "allows to have the best click feeling and minimizes any shifting mistake possibility.

The shifting mistake possibility happened to me often with mechanical, where if I wanted to shift up one gear, I'd end up shifting two, maybe even three. This doesn't happen as often with EPS.

Here's a link explaining it: http://eps.campagnolo.com/en/technologies/click-feeling

oldpotatoe
01-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Maybe "tension" isn't the correct word, however on EPS, Campagnolo calls it "Micro-Switch with Mulit-Dome Technology." Their web site says it "allows to have the best click feeling and minimizes any shifting mistake possibility.

The shifting mistake possibility happened to me often with mechanical, where if I wanted to shift up one gear, I'd end up shifting two, maybe even three. This doesn't happen as often with EPS.

Here's a link explaining it: http://eps.campagnolo.com/en/technologies/click-feeling

Yep, they made the shifters on EPS 'clicky' and their intent was to mimic the 'feel' of mechanical and on the ones I have installed, it did that but it's not 'adjustable'.

Robbos
01-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Old Potatoe- I defer to your experience with Power torque cranks. I had heard that removing them was difficult, but then again on the internet there is no shortage of home mechanics with strong opinions but little mechanical experience.

When I rode the 2012 Athena, I was surprised how little improvement there was over my Shigmolo set up. Only the brakes impressed me. I feel strangely attached to the 9 speed era, as finding replacement parts- cassettes, chains, chainrings- is still very easy. And its possible to mix and match SRAM and Shimano.
In ten years when campy is up to twelve speeds in the back, all electric and crabon fibre, maybe I'll pick up someones 2012 Super Record gruppo for peanuts!

camchris1
01-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Shigmolo :hello:

dd74
01-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Yep, they made the shifters on EPS 'clicky' and their intent was to mimic the 'feel' of mechanical and on the ones I have installed, it did that but it's not 'adjustable'.
And they are "clicky," but not like mechanical. With mechanical, you know by tactile feel and sound when you switch gears. EPS, though smooth and slick, might be a bit too smooth and slick when it comes to really feeling the drivetrain work.