PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Noise?

TT Tandem
01-02-2013, 12:40 PM
For reference I have a '92 Serotta Colorado ll. It has a Thomson seat post with a Brooks B17N saddle.
I started riding on my trainer this week and I was getting a noise while pedalling. At first I thought it was the pedals.So I switched them out and still had the noise. Then I thought it might be the BB but it disappears when I stand.
I am wondering if it is the saddle? Because the noise disappears when I stand. Or could it be the seat post? I did not notice this sound when I was riding outside.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

oldpotatoe
01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
For reference I have a '92 Serotta Colorado ll. It has a Thomson seat post with a Brooks B17N saddle.
I started riding on my trainer this week and I was getting a noise while pedalling. At first I thought it was the pedals.So I switched them out and still had the noise. Then I thought it might be the BB but it disappears when I stand.
I am wondering if it is the saddle? Because the noise disappears when I stand. Or could it be the seat post? I did not notice this sound when I was riding outside.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Could be cleats as well.

Lube the inside of the seat tube, the cradle of the seat post where the saddle sits..

Dab of oil where the rails are attached to the saddle itself.

eddief
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
grease or squirt all potential rub spots. been there, done that. maybe even a slight tension bolt tightening.

jr59
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
It's a brooks saddle and I would lube the nut and bolt @ the nose of it as well

TT Tandem
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Hey Guys, Thanks for these ideas!

bikinchris
01-02-2013, 03:20 PM
"Lube the inside of the seat tube"

This. Or maybe your saddle is the culprit. But do ONE THING AT A TIME. To find out what it is if it ever comes back.

Is the noise a squeak or a creek?

TT Tandem
01-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I would say it is a creak.

monkeybanana86
01-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Did you fix it yet? If not I use to have a creak on a Brooks too so I lubed all the metallic points including the bolt and fastener at the nose as previously mentioned which took the noise away. Drove me nuts!

TexasJohn
01-02-2013, 08:38 PM
I've had noises before with my Thompson post as well. Make sure it is installed and tightened correctly. Use the right lube for your type of frame. Good luck.

TexasJohn
01-02-2013, 08:38 PM
See above...

svelocity
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
It's a brooks saddle and I would lube the nut and bolt @ the nose of it as well

I second this. All my Brooks have had a creak at one time or another. Loosen the nut, add your favorite lube, and retighten.

Cheers

shekie777
01-02-2013, 09:11 PM
I had the same problem with my Thomson seatpost, once I cranked down hard on both bolts, the creaking went away, as soon as I slightly loosened either the front or rear bolt, the creaking came back.

bikinchris
01-02-2013, 09:57 PM
The reason I said seatpost is because I had that problem before, but I also have had a Brooks that would creak. That's why I said do one thing at a time.

TT Tandem
01-03-2013, 09:36 AM
This AM I started with a light lube on the rails. I will ride and report back.
Thanks for all the replies!

TT Tandem
01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Well the libe on the saddle rails did not solve the noise. So I pulled the seat post and REALLY lube the inside of the seat tube. Lets see if this work.

TT Tandem
01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
I took my bike up to the LBS and put on their trainer. After a bit we figured out that the noise was coming from the BB. So we took everything apart clean and re=seated the bearings and the noise is gone. The guys at my LBS ,Mountan Road Cycle, are really great! They let me work with them and are willing to teach me along the way. So I bought Chris a BIG roast beef sandwich for his dinner!

victoryfactory
01-05-2013, 05:25 AM
LA:
The Bernie Madoff of sports.
What a saga!

cfox
01-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Thomson posts don't creak if they are set up right, but they sometimes let forth a little "click" noise if you hit a bump big enough to jolt your ass out of the saddle. It's important with them that the bolts are tight, spec is 6.8nm, I go 6.5 nm. Also, they recommend grease (not anti-seize) on the bolt threads. Don't grease the washers or bolt heads; you'll end up over-torque-ing. With all that said, It sounds to me like the OP's noise is from the Brooks. Anywhere dissimilar materials meet is a creak point.