PDA

View Full Version : Crashed wheels?

yoshirider
01-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Just wondering but how do you fix a wheel with dents, scratches, and pits in the rim?

AngryScientist
01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
You replace the rim

yoshirider
01-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Wha that seems like such a waste...

AngryScientist
01-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Generally the truth though. There's no way to get dents and dings out of rims. Just replace them, it will save you time and aggrivation.

yoshirider
01-01-2013, 07:44 PM
I have a minor dent on a dura ace wheel. I planned on taking it to the shop to get it fixed up and file the burrs out. It sounds more economical to me. Would it still be safe to ride it after its been fixed and true?

Louis
01-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Would it still be safe to ride it after its been fixed and true?

This is impossible to answer based on the information we currently have.

AngryScientist
01-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Lets see a picture of the damage you're referring to. Generally removing dents which produce a crease in a rim is a no-go

Louis
01-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Is it a front or a rear wheel?

Sudden failures of the front are more catastrophic than the rear, but the rear is more heavily loaded than the front, and thus perhaps more likely to be susceptible to damage.

DRietz
01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
There's no way to get dents and dings out of rims.

Disagree, it is totally possible to pull a dent from a brake track. It's also possible to just ride with one, as well!

As far as pitting goes, it sounds like you're talking about oxidation. Which makes me think "steel rims," which, in turn, makes me think "throw away."

Typically, depending on the LBS, they may pull the dent and true the wheel. They won't file anything for you - that's just asking for liability.

yoshirider
01-01-2013, 08:17 PM
ok so here are a couple of photos i took of the wheels. it was pretty hard to capture, but i hope you guys can see. it doesn't seem to be dented too bad. oh and this is the front wheel. it has a slight wobble but i'm thinking truing it should probably fix that

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/cocolau/photo2_zpsa167d13f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/cocolau/photo1_zps6a7081bb.jpg

thegunner
01-01-2013, 08:19 PM
do i spy the spoke nipple pulling through the rim?

DRietz
01-01-2013, 08:26 PM
That dent can be pulled. Can also be left as is.

Those pits on the brake track worry me. How deep are they?

If not very, I recommend just riding them as opposed to filing. They'll smooth out over time. If they're pretty deep (relative to the width of your brake track), I'd buy a new rim. Relace. Ride confidently.

AngryScientist
01-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Oh, i see now. If that wheel can be trued, you're good to go with that damage. Use a sanding block to knock down the burrs and ride as-is after truing. Midght have minor brake pulse, but that damage is not a big deal.

ultraman6970
01-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Is not that bad at all.

The pits can be filled flat, you will feel like a tiny little pull while braking tho but is not something to worry about.

As the dent, I imagine something worse. Thats fixable to almost perfection but can be fixed w/o any problems. But i would leave it if you arent good fixing wheels or if you have no clue of what are you doing because the rim could get even worse.

Good luck.

Louis
01-01-2013, 08:36 PM
do i spy the spoke nipple pulling through the rim?

Might be a local reinforcement.

ultraman6970
01-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Might be a local reinforcement.

Those wheels are like that.

Louis
01-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Those wheels are like that.

That's what I thought.

yoshirider
01-01-2013, 08:38 PM
the pits worry me too. i just tested it with a fingernail and they didn't feel deep at all. it feels more like a scratch. there are a bunch of them all over that side of the rim though. any idea on how much it would cost to fill it anyway?

DRietz
01-01-2013, 08:41 PM
the pits worry me too. i just tested it with a fingernail and they didn't feel deep at all. it feels more like a scratch. there are a bunch of them all over that side of the rim though. any idea on how much it would cost to fill it anyway?

To fill the pits? Nobody's going to fill them.

If you want to file them, I recommend doing it yourself, as you'll have limited luck finding someone to do it for you.

AngryScientist
01-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Dont fill anything. It wont buy you any strength. The dent can be "pushed" out, and as long as the wheel can be trued, you wont even feel those dings as long as the burrs are filed smooth. Again, sanding block. Anyone can do this for you. If you lived in the nyc area, id fix that wheel for you.

AngryScientist
01-01-2013, 08:44 PM
To fill the pits? Nobody's going to fill them.

If you want to file them, I recommend doing it yourself, as you'll have limited luck finding someone to do it for you.

We're on the same page here, atmo :beer:

ultraman6970
01-01-2013, 08:46 PM
You fill htem with a metal epoxy or you mean file them??

You wont get anything to stick in those holes, when the brake pad gets over them the hole will be open again unless you find somebody willing to tig them or something. Your best bet is to FILE with a file (maybe i misspelled it before).

Just file them flush and ready to go. No other way to fix that that I know of.

As for why it happened? no clue, crashes? The only ones i have seen like that is because of accidents.

yoshirider
01-01-2013, 08:51 PM
alright i'll file it down and ride it. thanks for all the useful information everyone and happy new year ;)

monkeybanana86
01-01-2013, 09:13 PM
For the dent I would let braking do the rubbing out since it's such a little one. As Angry mentioned you will probably feel a pulse which will go away over time. That's what I've experienced with my wheels.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Just wondering but how do you fix a wheel with dents, scratches, and pits in the rim?

Saw the pics, yep, have the wee dents smoothed a bit with the understandimg that when that's done, the side wall will be thinner. 'May' feel it under braking but just use it if it's still pretty true.

As for pulling one out, not in roundness but sidewall pushed in or out...you weaken the sidewall significantly when you bend aluminum and will if you bend a big dent out. Lots of pressure there with a clincher wheel sidewall and if it split, you fail your tube-instanty flat following a 'bang'.