PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012 in Review – Part 2 Riding

jlwdm
01-01-2013, 10:51 AM
As I detailed in Part 1 Riding, I worked a lot the last two years. Although I worked a lot in the past it was not as much as the last two years. My riding was always off and on (for years at a time until I got my custom Serotta Nove at age 60. Since then my miles have been as follows:

2007 4303
2008 4775
2009 5242
2010 6007
2011 3364
2012 2897

Riding is beneficial to me in many ways: it feels good, I am in better physical and mental condition, I enjoy the camaraderie with other riders and I solve lots of personal and work issues when I ride alone. Most of my riding the last two years is in the dark before and after work so I miss out on the camaraderie.

There are ways to fit in riding on any schedule if you really want to. I tend to make excuses not to ride at times which is reflective of my lower miles for the last two years. Living in AZ and TX I never rode much in the summer time. After a pathetic first half of the year, I rode 65 days straight starting July 4th and averaged over 35 miles per day – 2381 miles. And then the excuses started again.

When I am not riding I also eat poorly – a bad combination.

This year I will double my 320 miles for the first six months of the year in January.

NO MORE RIDING EXCUSES FOR ME, AND HOPEFULLY NONE FOR THE REST OF YOU.

I will be riding this afternoon –I hope you can too.

Jeff

bargainguy
01-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Good for you, Jeff, but I've come to a different gestalt.

I could care less about the number of miles I ride. I don't aim for any amount. When I don't feel like riding anymore, I stop. If I feel like riding, I go. I've been known to do several rides a day, much to the astonishment of those around me. It's all the same to me.

For me, it's not the quantity of miles, it's the quality of the ride. A loose comparison would be it's not important how long I live, but how well I've lived that life.

I do have computers on all my bikes, but for cadence only. I always switch off the distance function so I don't get bogged down in a mileage count. If my cadence starts wilting or slogging and it hasn't occured to me yet, I know it's time to get back home.

jlwdm
01-01-2013, 11:34 AM
I really agree. I just enjoy all of my rides long or short. I am not riding just for miles. But the miles are an indication of how much I am getting out to do what i enjoy. Last year I did not end up enjoying my bike enough.

Jeff

biker72
01-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I ride because it keeps my weight down and overall I just feel better. I go to new places to ride and keep it interesting. Denver and Minneapolis are great places to ride...:)

Being retired and working part time, there is no good excuse for not riding more. I rode 4326 miles in 2012. I was shooting for something over 5000.

The weather in this part of Texas can be very hot so early morning rides are the norm in summer.

Go Ride Your Bike....

jlwdm
01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
I rode 23 miles today - thought it would be more. The wind was blowing pretty good.

I made a mistake at the 19 mile mark and stopped for a gel and water. Took my gloves off and fingers got really cold - took the short way home.

Jeff

AgilisMerlin
01-01-2013, 03:31 PM
i enjoy hearing and believe,

just ride, ride as much as you can' / and so any condition given you have already trained through

http://www.theponderingcyclist.com/

"In one of my last posts I talked about how the great Eddy Merckx would do 9 hour training rides across Belgium then take the train back, sleeping all the way. This linear cycling is something I got hooked on while touring across the US. It's amazing to ride all day, without turning around."

in link above

and read how pros train / testa - halfway down page

http://books.google.com/books?id=LDmxGcjoCaYC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=Eddy+Merckx+would+do+9+hour+training+rides+acro ss+Belgium+then+take+the+train+back&source=bl&ots=eOovYmkZJi&sig=eaAddohpHgRlKCQD20h9Er7xEOM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=FlfjUIjDIeXV0gGFwAE&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Eddy%20Merckx%20would%20do%209%20hour%20training %20rides%20across%20Belgium%20then%20take%20the%20 train%20back&f=false

"Then he'd do it again the next day" - I love that part'

jlwdm
01-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Easy excuse not to ride tonight -32 degrees. Colder than I need to ride in DFW. But I went out anyway for 19 miles - felt good.

Jeff