PDA

View Full Version : Incoming!

majorpat
01-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Two feet of snow is not keeping me from being excited about this frame heading east to NY soon. For those of you with many a custom sled in the barn, you will forgive me being motivated for my first! Should be here in a few weeks with a suit of orange powdercoat, still collecting the group and other parts. Happy new year, my people.

Pat

AngryScientist
01-01-2013, 07:46 AM
dont leave us in the dark here brother! what is it??

and congratulations, it sure looks nice:)

majorpat
01-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Rock Lobster custom aluminum. Paul has been great, I sent him some measurements and a picture of me on my old C-dale, I trust he knows what he is doing since he's been at it for 30 some years.

http://rocklobstershop.blogspot.com/2012/12/7005-road-frame-for-ny-state.html

Pat

mike p
01-01-2013, 09:01 AM
I new it was a rock lobster just from the pic's, Paul always hangs them on something outside of his shop. No fancy studio shots! I think Paul is one of the true stand up guys in the industry. Pat I'm sure you'll love it! Look forward to a full report when you get it. Enjoy.

Mike

ctcyclistbob
01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Congrats on the Rock Lobster ... they're great frames. And orange will look awesome.

What fork will you use?

Climb01742
01-01-2013, 09:31 AM
alu is making a resurgence...and yours looks like a winner from a master. enjoy!

AngryScientist
01-01-2013, 09:39 AM
powdercoat is such a smart idea for a bike that really gets ridden too. good stuff.

Stan Lee
01-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Very cool! You are doing it right the first time around having Paul build your frame, he's a great guy with a very significant history. Congrats!!

bargainguy
01-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Gotta post pix once you build it up.

roguedog
01-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Congrats, pat. Should be a great ride. From all I've heard, this was an awesome choice for your first time. I really like Paul's mindset too. He's building tools for people to ride and he tries to keep his prices with that in mind.

Exciting for you. As others have said, pls provide pix and ride report.

Pete Mckeon
01-01-2013, 12:22 PM
It will be very nice and a "luster" Happy riding. Pete

Peter P.
01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
As a 2010 Rock Lobster owner, I'm biased, but you chose a great builder!

I can't wait to hear how the finished bike rides. The suspense is killing me as well.

majorpat
01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Congrats on the Rock Lobster ... they're great frames. And orange will look awesome.

What fork will you use?

Enve carbon 45mm rake on Paul's recommendation due to the relaxed head tube angle.

monkeybanana86
01-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Nice! I just discovered aluminum bikes.

monkeybanana86
01-01-2013, 06:28 PM

p.s. how did you decide on Lobster?

majorpat
01-01-2013, 08:06 PM

p.s. how did you decide on Lobster?

Knew I wanted aluminum, been riding Cannondales for years but always had fit trouble. Not too many custom guys work with aluminum and I like Paul's philosophy. Also, he has been building for decades and knows what he is doing. His frames are reasonably priced and well made with a short wait list. After we spoke, I knew he understood what I wanted - a great bike that fit, not a "buying experience". Give him a shot if you are so inclined, so far I have been pleased.

Pat

oldpotatoe
01-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Knew I wanted aluminum, been riding Cannondales for years but always had fit trouble. Not too many custom guys work with aluminum and I like Paul's philosophy. Also, he has been building for decades and knows what he is doing. His frames are reasonably priced and well made with a short wait list. After we spoke, I knew he understood what I wanted - a great bike that fit, not a "buying experience". Give him a shot if you are so inclined, so far I have been pleased.

Pat

Well made aluminum has become kinda a step child. If well designed, it is a great material. Some of the Merckx aluminums I sold were described as 'best rides' by more than a few. Easy to make into custom, not arm/leg expensive, light, great ride.

Well done sir!

dave thompson
01-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Like Mr. Chisholm says above, when designed right for your needs, aluminum bikes can be terrific. I had one built last year (not a Lobster) and have been enjoying it immensely.

merckx
01-02-2013, 08:01 AM
My Merckx Team SC is one of the best race machines I've had.

nopotholes
01-02-2013, 02:59 PM
A friend of mine has an aluminum Rock Lobster in the works as well. Stoked for both of you.