PDA

View Full Version : Winter riding gear

sworcester
12-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Looking at a more serious approach to riding here (North Texas). I have plenty of top base layers, thermals, a couple jackets, long sleeve jerseys, But how do you layer bottoms? I have two different tights, one is good to the 45º and the other roughly to 40º. But if it is windy, I want to keep my crotch a bit warmer. Legs seem warm enough (they are Pearl Izumis that are kind of like a light wetsuit material). Do you just wear some tights w/o a chamois over the other tights?

verticaldoug
12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
It's easy. For not too cold, I will wear tights with Chamois. But for my deep winter tights I go without chamois. When it is just cold, I can wear regular bibs. When it is colder and need more protection, winter weight bibs. And when it is really stupid cold, I can wear knickers under the the tights. Beyond that, just say uncle.

Some people wear tights inside their bibs, but I am not a fan of that. The seams just don't agree with me.

Gummee
12-31-2012, 05:50 PM
If you've got varying weights of knickers try wearing them under your tights.

For example, I wore my Gore knickers (8oz lycra basically) under some older Nashbar tights mtn biking in 36deg temps. My legs weren't cold, but I could have probably gone to my PI 'roubaix' knickers instead. Next time.

M

67-59
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
But if it is windy, I want to keep my crotch a bit warmer.

I think the key is getting a pair of tights with windproof fabric. I have a pair of Gore tights with windstopper fabric over the whole front side. No chamois, so I wear them over bibshorts. Keeps me warm well below freezing, even on breezy days.

Watch for some brands that don't always put the windstopper in the crotch area. I was looking into some Assos bibs before I got my Gores, and for some reason they had the windproof panels over the thighs but not the crotch.:confused:

terry
12-31-2012, 07:03 PM
50-60 or so it's knickers
32-50 it's tights made w/a roubaix fabric, and it has a chamois
Below that - tights with windstopper front, no chamois but a pair of bib shorts under. I can ride down to about 15 or so on the road with this combo- down to 5 mtbing.

1centaur
12-31-2012, 07:04 PM
My #1 reason not to buy Assos winter bibs, year, after year, after year. Oh those precious knees, but whatever on the naughty bits.

Gunde shorts are one way to correct the issue:

http://shop.craftsports.us/pz-ws-gunde-short-black.html#.UOI1x3d9USk

rando
12-31-2012, 07:40 PM
I doubt you are in need of the -60 F solution but I'll offer it as it applies to most cold temps. Either shove in front of or wrap you privates with something warm like a fleece headband or glove liner.

kgreene10
12-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Perhaps I'm odd, but I've never needed more than regular bibs supplemented with leg warmers down to the 20s. My crotch is always mucho re comfortable than my hands or feet no matter what I use on my extremities.

rando
12-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Maybe you wiggle one more than the others. :)

jlwdm
12-31-2012, 08:41 PM
I am not fond of cold weather, but I find the Assos bib shorts with knee warmers work down to about 34 degrees here in the DFW area. I don't ride when it is colder. I bought a pair of leg warmers, but have never seen the need to use them.

Jeff

Bkat
01-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Roubaix knickers down to about 39. Colder then that, I throw on a pair of unpadded tights. That holds me until about 25 degrees. Any colder than that, I stay inside.

BryanE
01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
22 degrees today.
Bottom was Endura insulated bibs with Sporthill running pants over them.