PDA

View Full Version : Thinking ahead: Jersey Recom?

Lewis Moon
12-28-2012, 10:48 AM
With the turn of the new year, an Arizona rider's heart fills with dread. Spring is coming. Within four months the thermometer will start peeking over 95 and the "Hell of the Southwest" (any outdoor ride past 10 AM) will be back. I need jersey recommendations for hot weather. I hate slogging through catalogs and websites, reading the company hyperbole so I thought I'd ask the gurus (that's you). What is a good HOT weather jersey with ample ventilation in the pits and maybe everywhere that doesn't receive direct sun. Sizing is also an issue: I'm 6'5" and 180 and the large Pearl Izumi Pursuit jersey just billows like a spinnaker...and doesn't breathe for 5#!+. Also, in the search for high SPF ratings, it seems as if breathability takes a real hit. Long/full zips are cool, but I want to not have to rely on the zipper for ventilation. I've even taken to wearing soccer/running shirts on short intense rides where I don't need a pocket.

As with all my inquiries, bang for the buck is a huge consideration.

tv_vt
12-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Lewis,

Shameless plug here, but dig through the Classifieds for my ad for Jerseys for Big Guys. I have a couple that would work fine for you for $20 each. The "Prouty" one and red/white/black Louis Garneau one are good in warm weather.

Thom

Lewis Moon
12-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Lewis,

Shameless plug here, but dig through the Classifieds for my ad for Jerseys for Big Guys. I have a couple that would work fine for you for $20 each. The "Prouty" one and red/white/black Louis Garneau one are good in warm weather.

Thom
Thanks Thom. That one is a bit big. I'm 180 w/34" waist and will be heading below that (hopefully) this year.

bluesea
12-28-2012, 01:15 PM
There's is/was a Giordana "economy" jersey--solid colored and made with a lighter stretchy material that has a coarser weave. its definitely my most comfortable hot & muggy jersey.

Llewellyn
12-28-2012, 04:58 PM
With the turn of the new year, an Arizona rider's heart fills with dread. Spring is coming. Within four months the thermometer will start peeking over 95 and the "Hell of the Southwest" (any outdoor ride past 10 AM) will be back.

I feel your pain Lewis. We are the middle of a scorching summer, every day since Xmas Eve we have had maximum temps over 38 degrees celcius and that won't change until Monday, when it's expected to only be 34.

I absolutely hate this city in summer :mad:

Lovetoclimb
12-28-2012, 05:11 PM
There is a moderator/creator from the Velocipede Salon forum named Too Tall who swears by Wabi Woolens. I have no idea just how tall he is, or where he lives, but worth a shot for asking some questions.