PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo ultra-torque and drain holes

thirdgenbird
12-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Campagnolo reccomends (requires) a drain hole in frames equipped with ultra torque cranks but the clover cutout in my colnago seems excessive.

Would you reccomends covering part of this hole with quality vinyl to limit water intrusion is should I leave it open using the theory that any water that can get in will get back out?

The crankset in question does not have the CULT bearings and I have the proper sealed record cups, not the unsealed SR cup.

ultraman6970
12-28-2012, 01:50 AM
What i have done in the past is to use make an sleeve of carboard, you really dont what water or crap from the seatpost to fall in there.

The last thing i did was to buy aluminum tape to seal A/C units, you can find this at home depot, is a roll like packing tape but made of aluminum, cut a piece, roll it and put it inside, do not take the back tape off ok? That thing is almost like having a piece of metal in there so if something hits from the outside it will bounce.

You can do chainstays protections using the same material.

Hope this helps.

AngryScientist
12-28-2012, 05:43 AM
i say dont worry about it. put the cups in with PLENTY of grease, marine grease is good, and forget about it.

thirdgenbird
12-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks. I'm not as worried about water coming down from the seatpost (that is normal) but I am more worried about road grime being thrown into it.

At this point I am planning on going with extra grease. If (when) I take the bike on a multi day ride, I may cover the hole with tape if it looks like rain. After the ride I can then pull the tape off to drain anything that may have gotten in.

ultraman6970
12-28-2012, 04:20 PM
If you are not going under water or ride under heavy rain for 4 hours I doubt you will get too much much water from inside of the BB after taking the tape off. Probably you will get nothing hehe

thirdgenbird
12-28-2012, 04:23 PM
If you are not going under water or ride under heavy rain for 4 hours I doubt you will get too much much water from inside of the BB after taking the tape off. Probably you will get nothing hehe

I haven't ever tried riding user water (anyone have a donor bike?), but I have done 3-4 hours in driving rain...