PDA

View Full Version : Clean USPS rider - Pat McCarty

LegendRider
12-27-2012, 06:37 PM
http://www.texasmonthly.com/2012-12-01/sportsreporter.php

jbay
12-27-2012, 08:01 PM
I was lucky enough to run into Pat on a ride last January - or be caught by him, more to the point. His girlfriend is or was going to college in Boston, so he had moved there too. While I knew that the McCormacks proudly trained in whatever the New England weather threw at them, I thought it admirable of a pro' from a warmer climate to move to New England. And a very nice guy he seemed too and quite effortless on the bike, even though I tried to make him do all the talking!

-- John

monkeybanana86
12-27-2012, 08:57 PM
6 feet tall and 140 lbs. I'm throwing away this dinner.

thanks for sharing

tiretrax
12-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I guess I got the weight he's missing.

ultraman6970
12-28-2012, 01:55 AM
Pf,,, im like 3 times him right now :) hehehe

dbrown
12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Pf,,, im like 3 times him right now :) hehehe

You're 18 feet tall?!!

jmoore
12-28-2012, 03:37 PM
I remember watching a race where Pat McCarty and Svein Tuft were off the front in some terrible, freezing weather. They were absolutely hammering. Tuft finally won and Pat said after the race that he almost blacked out several times in the last few km's but managed to hang on for second.

Good kid that Pat. I hope he continues to do well for Spydertech.

jimcav
12-28-2012, 04:02 PM
http://www.texasmonthly.com/2012-12-01/sportsreporter.php

this week. okay interview. Just my opinion, but i'd hope for a little more in the way of observations and detail from someone who was in the nest of dopers, even if it took the benefit of hindsight. His interview made it sound like they (dopers) were ninja-stealthy and he was never approached, never around it, never saw it etc. It wasn't a long interview, nor were the questions hard hitting, but to me he came across as oblivious. Still, the point of the article and interview was brought home, these guys were really robbed. I'm just a recreational athlete, but I still have my dreams. I am still struggling to accept that age and injury may mean i will never qualify to run NYC marathon, I can't imagine how it feels to have your races, opportunities and success literally stolen from you...

Hawker
12-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Good article.

Very impressive as a young person to say "no" to everyone around you that is pursuing your dream while you languish. God bless him, I hope he does well this year.

CunegoFan
12-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Good kid that Pat. I hope he continues to do well for Spydertech.

I thought the Spydertech team suspended operations for 2013 at the end of this season. Did they find a new sponsor and continue?

LegendRider
12-28-2012, 04:40 PM
this week. okay interview. Just my opinion, but i'd hope for a little more in the way of observations and detail from someone who was in the nest of dopers, even if it took the benefit of hindsight. His interview made it sound like they (dopers) were ninja-stealthy and he was never approached, never around it, never saw it etc. It wasn't a long interview, nor were the questions hard hitting, but to me he came across as oblivious. Still, the point of the article and interview was brought home, these guys were really robbed. I'm just a recreational athlete, but I still have my dreams. I am still struggling to accept that age and injury may mean i will never qualify to run NYC marathon, I can't imagine how it feels to have your races, opportunities and success literally stolen from you...

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2012/12/27/cycling-doping-armstrong

LegendRider
12-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I thought the Spydertech team suspended operations for 2013 at the end of this season. Did they find a new sponsor and continue?

He's riding for Bissell in 2013.

jt2gt
01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Made it to the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/exclusive_former_armstrong_teammate_f8SVIVXNDtubrk rUym1MVM

I remember this kid when he was a jr. riding all the big rides and races in Dallas out of RBM and hanging with the big boys (not me...I was just a working cat 3/4). He rode a great looking custom steel bike...I can picture it flying past me right now -- waterford, steelman, can't remember.

Followed his career and always wondered as he bounced from team to team and won a few, but never seemed to hit it really big. Now, I guess I know why.

LegendRider
01-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Made it to the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/exclusive_former_armstrong_teammate_f8SVIVXNDtubrk rUym1MVM

I remember this kid when he was a jr. riding all the big rides and races in Dallas out of RBM and hanging with the big boys (not me...I was just a working cat 3/4). He rode a great looking custom steel bike...I can picture it flying past me right now -- waterford, steelman, can't remember.

Followed his career and always wondered as he bounced from team to team and won a few, but never seemed to hit it really big. Now, I guess I know why.

Why do so many journalists refer to any type of doping as steroid use? It's inaccurate and lazy.
Unlike the soaring success of Armstrong and other steroid-abusing cyclists,

McCarty didn't win the 2009 Tour of California.
His coach believes given an even playing field, McCarty will outpace the juicers, just as he did in 2009 when he captured the Tour of California crown.