PDA

View Full Version : Please help me troubleshoot Ultegra shifters issue

yoshirider
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm a noobie at repairing my road bikes so any help will be appreciated. I'm having an issue shifting the small black levers on the ST-6600 brifters. I have to press the levers 3-5 times before it finally engages. Shifting up (the big silver levers) on both shifters works with no problems. I tried to check for cable fraying and didn't notice any. I'm not sure if it's because the inners are gunked up or if the tension isn't right. The cable feels a little loose for the rear when I shift the right all the way to the bottom and then give the cable a slight tug where it enters the shifter. Please help thanks!

David Kirk
12-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Do those small black levers just move without resistance and/or noise or does it feel normal but nothing happens at the derailleur?

dave

yoshirider
12-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Do those small black levers just move without resistance and/or noise or does it feel normal but nothing happens at the derailleur?

dave

Dave,

It moves without resistance

David Kirk
12-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Dave,

It moves without resistance

Cool - I've certainly seen this with Shimano stuff before. There is probably a better way to handle this than I have done but what I've done has worked - so I'll pass on the idea and see if others have a less messy way to deal with it.

Shimano shifters have some very small and light springs that can easily get gummed up and not move the way they should. So if you douse it good with something like WD-40 it can free things up. I've wrapped a rag around the shifter leaving just a small gap to stick the WD-40 hose into and then spray the crap out of it. Get the spray into the mechanism as much as you can. Do this in an area where you can get some oil on the floor because you will get stuff on the floor no matter how neat you are.

Spray stuff in there and then cycle the shifter back and forth and then repeat the process until it works as it should or you are out of WD-40 :)

This has worked for me a few times over the years and once it's working well it seems to stay that way.

Let me know how it works if you try it.

dave

Bob Ross
12-27-2012, 06:19 PM
If it's any consolation: I have had the exact same problem with my 6600 brifters for the past two years...and the only (temporary) cure I've found to date is essentially exactly what Dave describes.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm a noobie at repairing my road bikes so any help will be appreciated. I'm having an issue shifting the small black levers on the ST-6600 brifters. I have to press the levers 3-5 times before it finally engages. Shifting up (the big silver levers) on both shifters works with no problems. I tried to check for cable fraying and didn't notice any. I'm not sure if it's because the inners are gunked up or if the tension isn't right. The cable feels a little loose for the rear when I shift the right all the way to the bottom and then give the cable a slight tug where it enters the shifter. Please help thanks!

Spray liberally with the STI repair kit, spray lube. Or WD-40(a solvent), followed by a spray lube. May fix, it may not, if it doesn't, BIC lighter solution, throw it away.

yoshirider
12-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'll try that out.

shovelhd
12-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Cleaning them out can help. However, what happens when you tug on the cable without using the lever? Does the chain shift up the cassette cleanly, and shift cleanly back down without hesitation?

Louis
12-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Or WD-40(a solvent), followed by a spray lube.

Other than the Shimano branded stuff, what's a good spray lube for STI shifter internal parts?

TIA

oldpotatoe
12-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Other than the Shimano branded stuff, what's a good spray lube for STI shifter internal parts?

TIA

Any spray lube, doesn't really matter. I use pro gold or boeshield spray.

thegunner
12-27-2012, 06:48 PM
why does this sound more like the cable just hasn't been tightened sufficiently when fully shifted down?

Chief
12-27-2012, 06:57 PM
If you follow Dave's insturctions, it may also help to leave the bike upside down over night so that the lube can flow into the mechanism.

biker.caliente
12-27-2012, 07:13 PM
I had the same problem before and here is how I fixed it with WD40 to clean/flush and Triflow to lube. I also heard of success story using LPS-1 as lube.

1. Hang the bike upside down and off the ground from the ceiling or use a workstand. This is mainly to keep the fluid off other parts of the bike and the handlebar tape.
2. Loop an old sheet under the bike to catch the fluid so your significant other won't get all upset.
3. Loose up the quick release on the brake calipers, pull the shifter levers back to expose the mechanism and hold the levers with rubberbands.
4. WD40 time. Spray, spray and more spray into the tiny orifices at the mech assembly until there is no doubt in your mind that those gunked up grease inside is dissolved and dripped off.
5. Let it sit overnight for the WD40 to evaporate, or use compressed air to blow the inside of the mechanism dry.
6. Drip Triflow or Prolink into the mechanism, again, through the orifices. A cheapter alternative if you don't already have these is LPS-1. It has a straw for injecting the lubricant inside the mechanism. You will see foam quickly coming out of the mech.
7. Clean up and wait for a few hours and you are done.

You can usually tell after the WD40 if your problem is still there..

Good luck..

yoshirider
12-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Cleaning them out can help. However, what happens when you tug on the cable without using the lever? Does the chain shift up the cassette cleanly, and shift cleanly back down without hesitation?

I don't quite understand what you mean. The tension on the cable seems okay. I can't get the cable to move when I tug on it.

I was about to try the instructions you guys posted, but I can't seem to find my Triflow... Doh!

bargainguy
12-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I used to use WD40 for freeing stuck brifters, but now I use CRC PowerLube in the red can. About $3 at auto supply stores. I know O'Reilly's auto supply store carries them. This stuff has PTFE so there is more lubrication than WD40, which is basically a solvent and not a lubricant.

Funny side story: I told a non-bike friend about this stuff. He couldn't remember which CRC product to use, so he bought CRC brake cleaner instead. Result? His RapidFire shifters...melted.

shovelhd
12-27-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't quite understand what you mean. The tension on the cable seems okay. I can't get the cable to move when I tug on it.

Does your bike have external cable routing? If so, the derailleur cables usually run on the outside of the downtube. Grab a handful of rear derailleur cable and watch how the derailleur shifts up the cassette. It should be smooth and sure. Slowly let the tension off of the cable and watch it shift down. It should move down the cassette with no hesitation. If any shift hangs or shifts slowly, you have a cable or derailleur wear issue that needs to be fixed first.

Hawker
12-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I had the same problem and did exactly as Dave has suggested here. It's been two years and everything is still fine....and I'm very pleasantly surprised.

yoshirider
12-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Success! Someone suggested PB Blaster instead of WD-40 (I'm not a fan of this stuff) and then followed it up with some Triflow. Hanging the bike upside down worked too. They shift great now. Thanks!

eippo1
12-28-2012, 08:09 PM
I was gonna post this exact topic. I have WD40, PB Blaster, and Triflow so it sounds like I'm gonna have a party. Thought the shifters might be toast, so glad to hear that there is a solution.