PDA

View Full Version : Does It Exist? Carbon Post with Thomson-like Clamp?

DRietz
12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey all - it's looking as if I'll be making the switch to a CAAD9 for racing this year, and having come from a steel frame with a titanium post, I'm looking to make the CAAD at least a little more comfortable through the use of a carbon post.

Is there anything out the that is a non-setback carbon post with a clamp similar to, or capable of using, a Thomson seatpost clamp? Thomson clamps are super adjustable and I'm confident in using them with my carbon-railed saddle, which is why I'd like a post using one.

Anything out there that rings a bell?

vqdriver
12-27-2012, 03:15 PM
easton and 3t ?

dave thompson
12-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Take a look at the Salsa Pro Moto 1 seat post. I've not seen one in person but from the pics the clamp and adjustment stuff looks similar to Thomson.

DRietz
12-27-2012, 04:45 PM
OK, so, how about I shift this thread in another direction...

Am I really going to notice a substantial difference between, say, a Masterpiece and a carbon post in 27.2mm?

thegunner
12-27-2012, 04:49 PM
no. in fact you probably won't notice a difference between the masterpiece, the elite, and a carbon post (coming from someone who's used both + a zipp sl speed)

eddief
12-27-2012, 04:52 PM
is if the post also includes a Zertz. So you gotta get a Specialized. Joking somewhat, but doubt you'd notice the difference between a really fine post and any old pipe...except for weight and aesthetics. On the other hand, I just read about USE Alien posts and those seem like an interesting option.

Louis
12-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Am I really going to notice a substantial difference between, say, a Masterpiece and a carbon post in 27.2mm?

After reading your original post (;)) my thoughts went down this exact path. I doubt you would notice much difference, and in a blind taste test I wonder if you could even distinguish between the two? I'm guessing not.

tv_vt
12-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Any Moots layback seatpost users out there? Is there any reason to use one other than aesthetics?

To answer the original OP, how about an FSA zero setback K Force light type of post? Or go with the FSA 25mm setback post, the darling of the Velonews seatpost review?

guyintense
12-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Thomson copied their clamp design after Syncros and there just so happens to be one for sale on, wait for it, ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Syncros-Composite-seatpost-carbon-27-2-x-340mm-200-grams-/150937501197?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2324937e0d

Not mine of course, I always worried that a carbon seatpost could become a carbon suppository.

Elefantino
12-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Not mine of course, I always worried that a carbon seatpost could become a carbon suppository.
Our local Old Potatoe once said, "only use those carbon parts you wouldn't mind breaking mid-ride."

Louis
12-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Our local Old Potatoe once said, "only use those carbon parts you wouldn't mind breaking mid-ride."

I beg to differ. How many folks out there have been riding CF forks for years and years, with no problems whatsoever?

Gummee
12-27-2012, 07:59 PM
OK, so, how about I shift this thread in another direction...

IME it depends on how far out the post is sticking. I have a Dean Ti post that's been on several bikes. Put it on a mtn bike with most of it exposed and it flexes noticeably.

Stick in a road frame where only the top 5-6" are exposed? May as well be riding AL for all the difference I notice.

YMMV

M

Cat3roadracer
12-27-2012, 09:02 PM
I have a Moots set back post on my Psychlo X. The craftsmanship is top notch. Super cool to look at, I can notice no difference in ride quality as compared to a high quality alu or carbon post.

oldpotatoe
12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Any Moots layback seatpost users out there? Is there any reason to use one other than aesthetics?

To answer the original OP, how about an FSA zero setback K Force light type of post? Or go with the FSA 25mm setback post, the darling of the Velonews seatpost review?

No. The Moots ti posts are very nice but really do nuthin a aluminum post doesn't do