PDA

View Full Version : Full fingers gloves

changes2008
12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Has anyone tried the Specialized Long Finger or Giro LX LF? They look like they're really nice quality but wanted to know if anyone had experience with either of these?

azrider
12-27-2012, 10:44 AM
No experience with either of those.

BUT

My .02 - Add Oakley factory glove to your list of possibles. When it came time for me to look for full fingered glove I was intro'd to these through buddy and have gone through 2 pairs since. Only reason i have two pairs is to match sunglasses............yep. I said it.

dave thompson
12-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I've used the Giro LX long-fingered gloves and they are my favorite. Fit me like a second skin and add no bulk. Not bad for moderately cool weather and great for summer. I finally wore out the original pair after a year and a half, bought more pair.

RFC
12-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Really, no need to buy cycling specific gloves. Go to Home Depot and check out the work gloves, which are just like cycling gloves. That's what I use.

dougf
12-27-2012, 11:33 AM
^+1 Mechanic's gloves are the best value out there for medium weight full finger gloves. Comfy, great grip even when wet, cheap and waaaaaaaaaaay more durable.

jmoore
12-27-2012, 02:35 PM
I use Troy Lee Designs XC gloves. A while back I found a motorcycle shop on ebay selling them for $10/pair and I bought 4 pairs. They are still going strong.

msl819
12-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I have some Specialized full finger gloves. I have some big mitts and the XXL is just the right size where most XL are too small. I love them on the road but don't care for them as much on the mtb. Great material on the back of the thumb for wiping glasses, mouth, etc. Mine have been through the wash multiple times and have held up great.

Bob Ross
12-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Go to Home Depot and check out the work gloves, which are just like cycling gloves.

Wait, wut?

Either I'm shopping at the wrong Home Depots, or I've got a closet full of some seriously weird-ass cycling gloves.

Villgaxx
12-28-2012, 02:49 PM
but i have been using circa year 2000 lightweight full finger mountain bike gloves in pretty much every cool/cold roadish riding situation. i got a few pairs of fox whatevertheywerecalled lightweight gloves cheap from a buddy's shop at the end of a season, and they are still pretty much presentable. i use heavier-duty mountain bike gloves for pretty much all mountain biking, but the quality of those things has deteriorated of the years, and after a season of use and washing, they are pretty much not presentable...pretty much. that's not french for mostly.

bluesea
12-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Defeet Duraglove. Also comes in wool.

http://www.defeet.com/60299/Duragloves.html

carpediemracing
12-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Wait, wut?

Either I'm shopping at the wrong Home Depots, or I've got a closet full of some seriously weird-ass cycling gloves.

haha! Too funny. Look above the $1.49/pr gloves. There are some fancy smancy work gloves now, $20-30/pr. My first pair of "winter cycling gloves" was a pair of my dad's work gloves from the garage. A guy on the group ride took pity on me and gave me a pair of old ski gloves. Another gave me a pair of shredded booties. Wow that was a long time ago.

I wear full finger gloves all the time to protect my typing digits. In the summer I'll wear team sponsor gloves if possible (they sell Bontrager so I buy some mtb gloves). I wanted to get Giro gloves but they were backordered when we did our team order and the shop normally doesn't stock them. I also have some FOX gloves from some time back.

I used to wear Mechanix gloves but those wear quicker and have less material on the palm. I was wearing them in my last crash, when someone intentionally caused me to crash in 2009, and the gloves worked well, sacrificing themselves so that I had no injuries on my hands.

In the winter I've used a pair of Canari gloves (rated to 25 deg F but they look like summer gloves) that I happened to pick up from a Dick's Sporting Good store a few years ago. I seem to have misplaced them so I bought a slew of Pearl Izumi gloves (from the team shop) to see if any of them are better than they used to be. I haven't used any of them yet which means I've gotten by without riding in really cold weather for a bit.

changes2008
12-29-2012, 07:55 PM
My .02 - Add Oakley factory glove to your list of possibles.

The Oakley factory looks like a heavier glove. Meaning, is it a glove you an wear in the summer and be comfortable?

I've used the Giro LX long-fingered gloves and they are my favorite.Thanks. That's the kind of thing I am looking for is a shining endorsement or a scathing review. Some thing that either sets it a part or lets me know if it's a great glove. In all honesty, if I spend that much money of a pair of gloves they better be awesome.

Really, no need to buy cycling specific gloves. Go to Home Depot and check out the work gloves, which are just like cycling gloves. When I first read your post there was some hesitation, but then I remembered that Homedepot has a nice selection of work gloves that for all intent and purpose look exactly like cycling gloves and they cost 20 bucks.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/21/210aa464-966b-4336-b37b-f56dea2b1d52_400.jpg

When I first reading your post this is what I imagined you on a local Tuesday night World's ride in:

http://seg05.vendaria.com/media/flash/zoom_2027/202702828_1/TileGroup0/0-0-0.jpg

I have some Specialized full finger gloves.
Thanks. Seems that people who have the 74's and LX LF's feel as though they made a good choice.

haha! Too funny. Look above the $1.49/pr gloves. There are some fancy smancy work gloves now, $20-30/pr. My first pair of "winter cycling gloves" was a pair of my dad's work gloves from the garage.

When I started riding my gear selection was very limited as well, and this meant a pair of dollar-bin knit gloves from a Wal-Mart would have to do for my awesome hardman winter rides.

During this wonderful afternoon in January a buddy and I set out to pre-ride a race course. First to set the scene, it was crazy cold and this biting wind was gusting and swirling all around us; Unfortunately, not to be wanting to be outdone by the wind some winter precipitation hopped into the fray and here comes the snow.

There I am wearing those sorry excuse for gloves saying let’s only do one loop. (25 miles) We had planned this out weeks before and this wintery front popped up a day or two before the scheduled ride. We rumbled down the road like hardmen (dummies) and my friend noticed my glove predicament and offered up these sweet pair of Nashville Titans work gloves.
http://www.capcityequipment.com/miscinventorypics/0762-titglove.jpg
While a noble gesture, there was very little reprieve from mother nature’s bitchy winter fit. ...so there we were riding this course in freezing temps and I have these silly gloves on that hardly made a difference. Not to mention every car that passed thought we're complete idiots/insane for being out in that kind of weather.

Once we left the loving protection of our tree lined roads the headwind was enough to nearly stop us in our tracks. Getting lost due to visibility and my poor memory of directions we ended up only making it 17 or 18 mile ride that was mostly NOT the course route. Doh! :crap:

Moral of the story is buy good gloves that work for a given situation. I'd say very little is frustrating as white numb and throbbing digits.

Sorry for the unsolicited long story. Thanks for all of the feedback even though I still do not know what to get. heh :)