PDA

View Full Version : 'Cross question-brakes

oldpotatoe
12-27-2012, 08:14 AM
I look at Cyclingnews and see the last 2 Euro cross races, first really sloppy, wet, muddy, the next also, not quite as bad BUT...looked like only one team with discs..Cannondale..honest question...discs in mud for a MTB a great idea since you retain brakes...but inspite of UCI allowing, they don't seem to have 'made the leap'(pun intended)..

I work on 'em, sell 'em(cross bikes) but don't race 'cross...so you all who like to carry your bike around while running in the mud...why no discs? Weight?
Sponsorship? ???

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-cyclo-cross-world-cup-6-2012/elite-men/results

christian
12-27-2012, 08:17 AM
For Euros in UCI races, I'd say it's primarily tradition - cantis work well enough. For the broader market, it's that BB7s still sort of suck. Once we get OEM hydraulic levers, cross will switch over quickly.

And I say that as a canti-loving traditionalist!

Gummee
12-27-2012, 08:34 AM
There were a few times this season where more braking would've been mo bettah, but for the most part, cantis are acceptable for what I'm doing. IME you run out of tire long before you run out of braking. Watch some of the euro races. Especially the muddy ones. They run out of traction WELL before they run out of braking. More braking isn't always necessary.

I'll also say that I like my front disc off-road (mtn biking) for the reasons everyone else says.

...but the only reason I switched the mtn bike to a front disc was because I inherited a fork with no canti tabs. Otherwise, I'd still be running v-brakes (which work acceptably well on the rear of my mtn bike. :nod)

M

christian
12-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Gummee has a muuuuuuullettttttt!

Dude
12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
There have been a few discussions around this. I think the biggest reasons why the euro pros aren't doing it:
1. tradition
2. weight
3. noise
4. mech disc brakes are just okay

5 years from now it may be a different story.

Bruce K
12-27-2012, 10:47 AM
I was watching Zilder at the home of CyclocrossWorld.com with Stu Thorne and a few others

The Americans are pretty much the inly ones fully commited to disc brakes. the Euro guys are slowly starting to test discs but they are waiting for hydraulics.

The reasons:

1. Less drag when the pads retract
2. More even braking as the hydraulics pinch from both sides (not 1)
3. Better pad wear
4. Hydraulics self adjust as the pads wear during a muddy race

BK

fourflys
12-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I do wonder if "feel" will be an issue in the cold when hydros come out... I know when I was riding my mtn bike with older XTR discs the other day, the lever feel was "stiff" at best and the temp was in the high 20's... I've been told by a couple of shops in Anchorage that is why most fat bikes up here have mechanical discs... I suppose what type of fluid is used could make a difference...

oldpotatoe
12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
For Euros in UCI races, I'd say it's primarily tradition - cantis work well enough. For the broader market, it's that BB7s still sort of suck. Once we get OEM hydraulic levers, cross will switch over quickly.

And I say that as a canti-loving traditionalist!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-ryan-trebons-cannondale-superx-hi-mod-disc

I agree with you. I think sponsor $ are talking.