PDA

View Full Version : Tubular glue layers question

RobJ
12-26-2012, 02:11 PM
My normal process for gluing tubbies has been (on a totally clean rim) a layer of Mastik, layer of Mastik on the tire, wait 24 hours. Second layer on rims, wait about 10 minutes and mount the tires. Full pressure and wait 24 hours to use.

So here's my situation. Boneheaded move of not realizing the tubbies didn't have a removable valve, which I need since these are deep rims. I already applied the first layer of Mastik to the rim. It will take a few days until the new tubbies arrive. When they arrive and put a layer of Mastik on them, can I just use the existing layer of glue on the rim, add the second layer, waiting the 10 minutes and mount? Or would you recommend a second layer, giving it 24 hours, then a 3rd layer right before mounting? Thanks.

christian
12-26-2012, 02:39 PM
You'll be fine either way. If time is not of the essence, I'd add another layer and the flash layer to the rim. If time is, I'd just flash and mount.

shovelhd
12-26-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm a 3+2 guy. Thin layers.

oldpotatoe
12-26-2012, 03:32 PM
My normal process for gluing tubbies has been (on a totally clean rim) a layer of Mastik, layer of Mastik on the tire, wait 24 hours. Second layer on rims, wait about 10 minutes and mount the tires. Full pressure and wait 24 hours to use.

So here's my situation. Boneheaded move of not realizing the tubbies didn't have a removable valve, which I need since these are deep rims. I already applied the first layer of Mastik to the rim. It will take a few days until the new tubbies arrive. When they arrive and put a layer of Mastik on them, can I just use the existing layer of glue on the rim, add the second layer, waiting the 10 minutes and mount? Or would you recommend a second layer, giving it 24 hours, then a 3rd layer right before mounting? Thanks.

There is never any reason to wait 24 hours between glue layers, no reason.

I glue tire, glue rim, glue tire, glue rim, glue tire, one after another. Wait until the glue on the tire isn't sticky(about 15 minutes), glue on the rim, mount, center and wait 24 hours to ride. Been doin' it this way for 27 years, never rolled a tire.

To answer your question, glue the new tire, glue the rim, glue the new tire, glue the new tire..wait until not sticky, glue the rim(3 total, THIN coats), mount, center..let dry 24 hours.

ultraman6970
12-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Since 1982 when i started racing... similar to potato and the other guys but im like it more sticky. I never wait that long, many times just overnight or even 2 hours.

Here is when many will put bad faces... if the tubular is new (not saying for you to do it ok? if you do it and something happens is your problem) you can ride it w/o even being glued, what happens is that the tubular constricts around the rim and the glue pretty much is to avoid the tubular to slide around the rim. If you go around the block with the tubular not glued the valve will move. Thats why you need the glue. Do this test.. put the tubular around the rim w/o being glued and put 120 psi to the tubular and try to get it off the rim with your thumbs, if the tubular is fairly new you wont be able to do it or if you do you will need considerable amount of force from your thumbs to do it.

This is for you to figure it out how the thing works and give you more confidence in what are you doing. Many people dont use them because of the horrible stories they hear about gluing even their underwear while mounting a tubular, since paranoia takes over some morons swear that as much glue the better and they just put half or the whole tube of glue per wheel and then they have glued up their ass cracks hehehe

The glue dries quite fast depending on the brand like for example continental, remember many years ago a panaracer one that was very bad. There are glues that dry hard other ones are always sticky.

Another detail, if the rim has glue in there, when you put the new glue over the top the bottom one might get reactivated and softer again. So sometimes is a good thing not to clean the rims. Not everybody does the things the same way.

For the non removable valves tubulars you have extenders that are thread around the valve itself, the ones I have are topeak and can be used w/o removable valves.

Good luck.

RobJ
12-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks all for the great advice and shortening my process. Great to hear from practical use. Through my off and on cycling it was always clinchers, though fascinated by the historical aspect of tubulars, but as mentioned they were always made to sound so difficult. Just jumped to tubulars this year during 'cross season and wish I would have years ago.

cfox
12-27-2012, 07:49 AM
I use tape on some wheels and glue on others. My glue method would probably upset some folks, but it works for me. Clean rim/new tire; 2 thin coats on each and then I let them dry to the touch. No wet coat for me. It's cleaner and gives you a few minutes to seat the tire. Roll it on a broomstick and then pump it up. Tubular glue is pretty much contact cement, so even if the glue is pretty dry, after a few minutes of the two glue surfaces contacting each other they will bond. I weigh 145 and don't race, so maybe this method wouldn't work for everyone, but the tires are plenty hard to remove after I glue this way.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I use tape on some wheels and glue on others. My glue method would probably upset some folks, but it works for me. Clean rim/new tire; 2 thin coats on each and then I let them dry to the touch. No wet coat for me. It's cleaner and gives you a few minutes to seat the tire. Roll it on a broomstick and then pump it up. Tubular glue is pretty much contact cement, so even if the glue is pretty dry, after a few minutes of the two glue surfaces contacting each other they will bond. I weigh 145 and don't race, so maybe this method wouldn't work for everyone, but the tires are plenty hard to remove after I glue this way.

Nothing wrong with that. Put 3 people in a room and ask about tubular gluing and get 4 opinions.

12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Nothing wrong with that. Put 3 people in a room and ask about tubular gluing and get 4 opinions.

Sorry, but OldPotatoe always underestimates the size of a problem. Put 3 people in a room and ask about tubular gluing and you get at least 7 opinions.

If you don't believe me,

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72309

oldpotatoe
12-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Sorry, but OldPotatoe always underestimates the size of a problem. Put 3 people in a room and ask about tubular gluing and you get at least 7 opinions.

If you don't believe me,

I believe ya, why I don't go there--->

Gummee
12-27-2012, 08:03 PM

If you don't believe me,

7?! Man, you must not be talking to the right (wrong?!) people!

More like 10-12! 'Cause you KNOW the gluing process is different for Tufos, for Vittorias, for road tires, cross tires, etc etc etc.

M
[/sarcasm]