PDA

View Full Version : top gear's james may on cycling (and cyclists)

Climb01742
12-25-2012, 05:16 PM
you might be surprised by the feelings of captain slow from a (sorry, 'the') car show. hard to find fault with much that he says. enjoy...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/james-may-on-bicycles-2012-12-14

Llewellyn
12-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Take that Clarkson, you oaf :banana:

Good piece, and a some surprising points as the OP said. I didn't dare read the comments as I could just imagine what would be in there.

James May always struck me as the most sensible of the three on T*p G**r (I haven't watched the show for a few years though). Clarkson has always just been an arrogant f-wit with his head stuck firmly up his clacker, and Hammond was just there to be Clarksons poodle

Ti Designs
12-25-2012, 06:50 PM
There are so many things wrong with that article, I almost don't know where to start. First, people don't forget how to ride a bike because they never really learn in the first place. People learn to walk and adapt that skill set to riding a bike. If you can walk you're practicing balancing over your feet. As for powering the bike, don't get me started on how wrong most people pedal... He also says "and most of us learn the basics of the Highway Code riding a bicycle" which explains a lot about both the drivers and cyclists around here. It's all wrong, but at least it explains it...

I had a very strange encounter with James May on an internet forum about musical instruments. I was working on my piano project and asking questions about how the samples were recorded. I posted a picture of one of the prototypes I had built, James asked what would happen if we dropped it on a Moris Marina.

SoCalSteve
12-25-2012, 07:30 PM
There are so many things wrong with that article, I almost don't know where to start. First, people don't forget how to ride a bike because they never really learn in the first place. People learn to walk and adapt that skill set to riding a bike. If you can walk you're practicing balancing over your feet. As for powering the bike, don't get me started on how wrong most people pedal... He also says "and most of us learn the basics of the Highway Code riding a bicycle" which explains a lot about both the drivers and cyclists around here. It's all wrong, but at least it explains it...

I had a very strange encounter with James May on an internet forum about musical instruments. I was working on my piano project and asking questions about how the samples were recorded. I posted a picture of one of the prototypes I had built, James asked what would happen if we dropped it on a Moris Marina.

Step away from the computer, take a deep breath, get on your beach cruiser and just go for a ride...sometimes it's truly NOT about the bike or riding a bike " properly"... Sometimes it's just about going for a bike ride.

As for the Morris Marina, if you are a fan of Top Gear*, you will get that "inside" joke. If you aren't, it won't make sense to you.

* 350 million people watch Top Gear around the world, I'm sure many people get it.

slidey
12-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Great article, thanks for the post!

slidey
12-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Great article, thanks for the post!

slidey
12-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Way to prove May's point about elitist saddle-faced grouchiness!

FlashUNC
12-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Always enjoyed James' view on things.

And as one of the Lycra brigade, I totally agree.

Ti Designs
12-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Step away from the computer, take a deep breath, get on your beach cruiser and just go for a ride...sometimes it's truly NOT about the bike or riding a bike " properly"... Sometimes it's just about going for a bike ride.

As much as I try, I can't think of many things that are more fun if you suck at them. And two people who have never seen me on a bike assume I'm all serious and "saddle faced" when I ride.

As for the Morris Marina, if you are a fan of Top Gear*, you will get that "inside" joke. If you aren't, it won't make sense to you.

There's a reason I didn't explain it.

velotel
12-26-2012, 04:27 AM
So the brits are like that too! I'm always amazed by the rarity of other cyclists here in France saying hello or at least giving a nod or smile as they pass. Then again based on his report, the french are better than the brits because I'd say maybe one in twenty or maybe even better than that give a sign of some sort. Meanwhile it's extremely rare to watch two or more motorcycles cross paths without them waving at one another. Never been able to figure that one out.

Like May, most of the time I'm not dressed in full cycling gear with lycra and helmet and publicity written everywhere so maybe that's the source of the silence. I'm not a real cyclists. Oh well, guess I'll have to just bear with my failings as a cyclist.

For myself, I like what he said.

Gothard
12-26-2012, 04:44 AM
As much as I try, I can't think of many things that are more fun if you suck at them. And two people who have never seen me on a bike assume I'm all serious and "saddle faced" when I ride.

There's a reason I didn't explain it.

More then 2 people assume you are all serious when you ride.
You are one of the most abrasive person I have "met" on the web. If you interact like this in real life, by all means get help.
If not, then get "internet image" help.

markie
12-26-2012, 08:08 AM
I like Ti designs knoledgeable posts. I think it is ok to be opinionated. At least it is clear that he has a unique view and it is normally very carefully considered.

That said there are a bunch of things I do not agree with.

I had cycling safety lessons in school when I was 10. I think that was a good time to learn the highway code. If more people had that background there might be some better, more empathetic, drivers.

Also walking appears to be quite different from cycling. I know people who have been walking for decades who cannot ride a bike. They never devoloped the skill.

Finally, being good at something is enjoyable, but I find that few things are better than learning and discovery. I guess they are more like,"playing".

Happy Xmas,lets play nice in the sandpit, lest you say something mean that reflects more upon yourself than those you comment about.

93legendti
12-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Wow, so much for the holiday spirit and all.
I like ti design's posts on cycling technique.

Ti Designs
12-26-2012, 09:12 AM
More then 2 people assume you are all serious when you ride.

That's because you don't understand me (nor do I understand you). I train the way I do so I can go out and have fun on the bike - the two parts almost have to be kept apart. When I'm out riding it's pure fun because I'm not the least bit worried or afraid of what I can't do (that sometimes gets me into trouble). I see a lot of indications in other people that say they do fear riding, or don't find it as fun. Any time we discuss a group ride there are questions about pace and distance. If the group agrees to stay together and everyone had the training miles in their legs, who cares? The other indication is watching how so many people ride and how uncomfortable they look on their bikes - much of that has to do with the simple fact that they've not figured out that their body was designed to support it's weight at the feet, not the hands. I watch commuters hit potholes on my way back from my base mileage rides, I can hear the pain it causes. How friendly do you expect people to be when they're being tortured on their way to work?

I had cycling safety lessons in school when I was 10. I think that was a good time to learn the highway code. If more people had that background there might be some better, more empathetic, drivers.

Either someone in you school system is brilliant, or they have figured something out about how people learn, and have decided to tell nobody else... Oddly, the thing people seem to understand the least (even less than how to pedal a bike) is how they learn. Most people learn how to ride as children when there are no rules. There's no emphasis on teaching rules (at least not around here) until they start to drive. If anything, parents defend their children's rights to not follow any rules. There's a bike path in my town, I've seen children riding with their parents and weaving from one side to the other. I've made the mistake of suggesting they teach their children not to do that and have gotten the lecture about how children don't have to learn these things. There's also a woman down the street from me who's child plays out in the street. If you drive past she yells at you, because you're putting her child in danger. (if you happen to drive a sports car she sometimes jumps out in front of you just to make her point) At some point that kid will grow up and leave home. I doubt if mom is going to go everywhere with him to shout at traffic. Perhaps it's time the learning process start a bit sooner???

This issue has been on my mind a lot as the second death of a cyclist near BU happened just a month ago (there was a thread here about it). People are up in arms about how we need to change the layout of the roads and how bike lanes need concrete dividers. Nobody is talking about how you have people walking, people riding and people driving in the same space, but they don't follow a common set of rules. I have brought up the idea of teaching cyclists how to ride according to the law, people just can't accept that idea. Why not? Are cyclists somehow too stupid to stop for red lights? Perhaps we have a god given right to blow stop signs because we learned how to ride before we learned how to read?

bobswire
12-26-2012, 09:51 AM

* 350 million people watch Top Gear around the world, I'm sure many people get it.

Plus 1, you got it!:banana:Best post ever.

Bruce K
12-26-2012, 10:13 AM
If you get TiDesigns, you get him

If not, then you don't

He is a fun guy to ride with and an interesting guy to talk cycling with

BK

FlashUNC
12-26-2012, 10:26 AM

If not, then you don't

BK

I certainly learn a lot from his posts, but I can see how the "Everyone doesn't know how to ride a bike properly but me" can rub some folks the wrong way. Especially in a thread that has little to do with those types of issues.

54ny77
12-26-2012, 10:48 AM
the "ignore" feature on this here forum not only allows me the ability to avoid self-proclaimed awesomeness, but perpetuates my ignorance too. really, it's bliss. ;)

velotel
12-26-2012, 10:57 AM
the "ignore" feature on this here forum not only allows me the ability to avoid self-proclaimed awesomeness, but perpetuates my ignorance too. really, it's bliss. ;)
Pretty effective (at times) with wives too.

559Rando
12-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I've watched Top Gear for year and love the show, love the presenters.
I disagree with a few points in the article, but am glad to see May support cycling.
I think he showed a folder in one episode, but I wonder what he rides. He seems like a Rivendell kinda guy. To me, anyway.

oldpotatoe
12-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Do you play bridge?

Another really serious bunch of people..card game, playing with toys...

slidey
12-26-2012, 12:05 PM
I sincerely hope that isn't a justification or a defense of the stupid statement(s) TiDesigns made on this thread.

If not, then you don't

BK

gemship
12-26-2012, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=559Rando;1263081I wonder what he rides. He seems like a Rivendell kinda guy. To me, anyway.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing, I love and want something like or a Rivendell but I can't spend that kind of money on a bike like that. So it's not like there's anything wrong with that. If I ever see him on a bike I'll wave when he rides by no biggie but I don't wear lycra much if ever...

jmoore
12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Why does anyone think they are so special to merit getting waved to on a bike?

zap
12-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Why does anyone think they are so special to merit getting waved to on a bike?

Acknowledging a peer. A small bit of civility in a less civil environment.

But don't expect me to wave or acknowledge you if I'm busting my ass to crank out some watts.

drulifson
12-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Top Gear is watched worldwide by more people that reside in the US. They are an incredible platform for entertainment related to the car. Good that we as cyclists even got some press and that he didn't want to drop a piano on us for all of our shortcomings or blow us up. (They have been using more pyrotechnics lately). Cheers Top Gear for promoting more people to cycle as a way to better health.

Marz
12-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Pretty effective (at times) with wives too.

Really? In 2012 with this sexist crap?

Llewellyn
12-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Top Gear is watched worldwide by more people than reside in the US. They are an incredible platform for entertainment related to the car. Good that we as cyclists even got some press and that he didn't want to drop a piano on us for all of our shortcomings or blow us up. (They have been using more pyrotechnics lately). Cheers Top Gear for promoting more people to cycle as a way to better health.

Yep, love it or loathe it, a show like Top Gear with such a huge, loyal audience has the potential to have much more influence than any government campaign about cycling.

Personally, I think Clarkson is a closet cyclist :)

Bruce K
12-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Slidey

You may disagree with TiD but I have never gotten how calling comments "stupid" furthers any discussion

You can disagree and even find someone's opinion off-point or not helpful but at least address the points you disagree with

I just ignore stuff I disagree with if I don't want to respond

And (in general) let's please try to remember that this is not a "boys club" or locker room and we do have to be respectful of all our members. So let's please try to avoid the off color stuff.

BK

BK

charliedid
12-26-2012, 06:18 PM
This:

"Maybe these cycling crusaders don't take me seriously, since I ride in my clothes rather than in a Lycra gimp suit with TV packaging crash helmet and a stupid flashing light attached to my face. Just because I'm not dressed up as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Bellend doesn't mean I'm not a proper cyclist. I haven't been without one since the age of three. I had to be prised from one of them by a kindly old dear at the top of a Scottish mountain, as my fingers had frozen to the handlebars. Don't come over all superior with me, you saddle-faced gits."

Ti Designs
12-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I sincerely hope that isn't a justification or a defense of the stupid statement(s) TiDesigns made on this thread.

No, that was in defense of stupid statements made in past threads. I'll save you from future stupid statements by leaving.

Dave B
12-26-2012, 06:50 PM
I love the colors of life. Not a black and white kind that so many try to dictate on others.

Top Gear is fantastic. Those three guys are great friends and get paid very well to put on what some of us would dream to do.

Cycling is also great. I have and am in the process for enjoying it how I want to and worrying less about how others rate my experiences or style.

See what I did there. I like both and all is good.