PDA

View Full Version : So I quit.... (new years resolution)

FastVegan
12-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Social media, quit it all, yelp, facebook and twitter.
I hope to use my new found time reading books, training and being more in tune with real life.

I guess this forum is social media, but don't worry I ain't leaving!

thegunner
12-25-2012, 02:07 PM
i was gonna say... does this count? :p

not a bad resolution, i would do the same -- except i work for some internet company haha

akelman
12-25-2012, 02:08 PM
I hope to use my new found time reading books, training and being more in tune with real life.

I stopped reading blogs, except for one that's basically a newspaper, about a year ago. There's no doubt that I'm less well informed than I was before that time, but I'm also far more productive and decidedly less edgy, so it's been a good trade-off for me. I'm not sure I want to give up on facebook just yet, as it's the only way I stay in contact with some good friends. Anyway, good luck with the resolution.

Black Dog
12-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Good call. I spend zero time on social media and I feel fine. Social media made me feel anxious and less connected to people not more. It left me unable to be present in the moment. Twitter is useless, like trying to hold a conversation while hammering up a 20% grade. Great ideas can not be distilled to 140 characters, hell, even good or mediocre ideas don't fit.

martinrjensen
12-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Oh, I thought you were going to say you started eating meat....

Ray
12-25-2012, 04:13 PM
The only social media I'm on at all is Facebook, and I'm barely on that at all, checking once or twice a week to see if any family or close friends are up to anything I want ot need to know about.

So I guess I don't need to quit anything?

-Ray

wc1934
12-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Oh, I thought you were going to say you started eating meat....

good one!

Rueda Tropical
12-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Assisted social media suicide:

http://suicidemachine.org

Llewellyn
12-25-2012, 05:44 PM
I deleted my Facebook account a few years ago (although I wasn't a big user anyway), and I've never understood the point of Twitter. I don't have enough time to do all the things I want anyway, never mind then getting on a computer and telling people about what I've been doing.

Both pointless time wasters IMO

Louis
12-25-2012, 07:02 PM

What are those things? :confused:

If someone wants to "be social" and contact me, they can call or send an e-mail message.

I don't do cell-phones either. Sometimes an inconvenience, but that way I'm not at the rest of the world's beck and call.

Fixed
12-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Facebook ....as if anything I do is important enough to make a continuous journal about my daily actives ,mostly ego imho
Practicing Detachment is my new year resolution ,
Cheers

ultraman6970
12-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Congratulations, the only social things you need is the forums man... the other stuff just sucks IMO. Wonder how much money those guys (sites) are making selling all your information and what you guys do.

How many here have fake ID in facebook and tweeter?

martinrjensen
12-25-2012, 07:29 PM
You mean an alter ego (different name) like a lot do here do? I don't but the more I think about it the more I think that in this day and age, it's probably a good thing to do so. Most of my accounts are listed under my own name including my facebook page (which I frequent maybe twice a year). Congratulations, the only social things you need is the forums man... the other stuff just sucks IMO. Wonder how much money those guys (sites) are making selling all your information and what you guys do.

How many here have fake ID in facebook and tweeter?

ultraman6970
12-25-2012, 07:53 PM
YEs that what i mean... i had an asian guy called fuk yu which took them like 2 years to get the account closed, only the people I like to add was in my contact list, the funny thing is that one day the account was suspended until I get them all my contact information in a darn fax... my ID and SSN just for verification purposes, after that never again because clearly they arent protecting my own privacy. IMO if we as user can't protect ourselves our own privacy who is going to do it? Them?? if they like to give me participation of the info they sell i would be willing to add my real info to one account but for free no way, I understand they are giving the use of the service for free but it is true too that whatever amount they get from the use of our info is way more than what they spend keeping the services alive to start with.

Besides that, who in the world cares what LILO thinks or if darn rapper chin chang chu farted in a party 2 minutes ago? just nuts or i'm just getting old. Pretty much the second one :D

martinrjensen
12-25-2012, 07:57 PM
I will reply to that as soon as I'm done posting on twitter....YEs that what i mean... i had an asian guy called fuk yu which took them like 2 years to get the account closed, only the people I like to add was in my contact list, the funny thing is that one day the account was suspended until I get them all my contact information in a darn fax... my ID and SSN just for verification purposes, after that never again because clearly they arent protecting my own privacy. IMO if we as user can't protect ourselves our own privacy who is going to do it? Them?? if they like to give me participation of the info they sell i would be willing to add my real info to one account but for free no way, I understand they are giving the use of the service for free but it is true too that whatever amount they get from the use of our info is way more than what they spend keeping the services alive to start with.

Besides that, who in the world cares what LILO thinks or if darn rapper chin chang chu farted in a party 2 minutes ago? just nuts or i'm just getting old. Pretty much the second one :D

rbtmcardle
12-25-2012, 08:06 PM
I was only ever on Facebook.. I completely deleted my account almost a year ago.. Some days I miss being able to so easily share photos when I am traveling, but it's a small trade off to keep me away from all the Krap on there...doesn't seem like a whole lot of good happens on there (any of them) seems like just more dumbing down of the population.

FastVegan
12-25-2012, 08:10 PM
You guys are correct, total waste of time. Thanks for the advice encouragement and jabs.

If I start posting pics of my food and dogs please feel free to toss my butt out.

Louis
12-25-2012, 08:21 PM
If I start posting pics of my food and dogs please feel free to toss my butt out.

Pictures of pets are fine. :)

martinrjensen
12-25-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty old (60) and past all this Face book stuff but my job is with computers and I really think that all this social media is the way of the future. I mean, us us Old guys /gals, we can do without it but not anyone else. It's going to replace all other forms of communication

tiretrax
12-25-2012, 09:10 PM
The waste of time that is most "social media" is only eclipsed by reality shows, such as The Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo. I can't believe that voyeurism of a family of wastrels is such a huge industry, and that's a sad reflection on our current state of culture and education.

Steelman
12-25-2012, 09:10 PM

Great start, congrats!

Now, did you ditch the cell phone?

Dave Ferris
12-26-2012, 10:11 PM
.....riding on the roads. F*** LA and the cars....and I'm in a farily mellow area comparatively. It's just not fun anymore. I'm sticking to riding and running on the trails.

Oh yeah..never did FB or Twitter either. No iPhone or iPad as well...just an older flip phone.

My 2011 Prius does have satellite radio and navigation sytem...:o