PDA

View Full Version : OT: Office for MAC (long shot)

vav
12-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Anybody has a copy I can borrow, buy or trade? 2008 or 2011 for that matter.
Thanks in advance.
Vincent

rice rocket
12-24-2012, 06:38 AM
You know you can try it for free, right?

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial

That said, the experience is pretty poor. If I really need to get stuff done, I'll use my PC. It's just not properly executed with UI changes that are incomprehensible at times. iWork is surprisingly worse though.

VTCaraco
12-24-2012, 08:24 AM
I use it a lot.
The trouble in converting to the Mac stuff was the build-up of files that I had in MS world that I wanted to continue to use.
I don't like how the different versions change so much and don't play that well together. And, at the end of the day, Macs really don't like playing with MS stuff (my tech crew hate debugging my MS issues).

I'm afraid I can't offer you a copy. My stuff is through work and we've become very ethical about pirating software.

ergott
12-24-2012, 09:25 AM
I use Office Libre which is open source. It works on both platforms. I find that 90% of the functionality is the same as the others you pay for. Bonus, you can save to .doc for people that need that sort of thing. One drawback to saving to a different format is that sometimes the formatting of a document is a little off. So far, I consider it worth it considering it's free. There are so many alternatives to the more expensive software out there.

http://alternativeto.net/

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2012, 09:42 AM
. . . that soliciting illegal activity on this forum is strictly prohibited.

I believe sharing of software programs for the purpose of copying would certainly meet this definition.

Thank you.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2012, 09:43 AM
. . . n both my PC at work and Mac at home and that application, at least, has significant differences that, to me, make he PC version superior. I'm mystified as to why they simply couldn't make both versions have the same menus, tabs, etc.

BBD

Pars
12-24-2012, 11:52 AM
^ I'd agree. Even the PC versions change incomprehensibly, and usually not for the better when they "upgrade".

On the Mac, the loss of VBA (much as I hate it) was a no go. My home mac is an older PowerPC G5, so won't run Office 2010, so I haven't evaluated that compared to the PC versions I use at work. I still use Office 2004 Mac and 2008 Mac (the one that lost VBA). The older versions were a version behind on VBA, but supposedly the Office 2010 Mac is the current VBA version.

Tony T
12-24-2012, 11:59 AM
...supposedly the Office 2010 Mac is the current VBA version.

Office for Mac 2011 - VBA 6.5

markie
12-24-2012, 12:27 PM
You can probably open and work on any document in google/gmail docs...

It is not perfect, but it normally works OK.

thegunner
12-24-2012, 12:37 PM
why not just get open office? apache built :D

VTCaraco
12-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I've heard that Sky Drive (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/download) gives you full functionality of MS Office through their virtual drive (and 7GB of cloud-based storage). I've got a number of colleagues that have gone in this direction over other options and love it.
That might be worth chasing...

HenryA
12-24-2012, 02:55 PM
As suggested, download the free trial. Then if you find it useful, buy a copy. Its not very expensive and now you're not stealing.

I am actually astounded that an adult would ask this question.

vav
12-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Dave, my intentions were not to solicit a pirate/illegal copy of Office for MACs.
About 3 years I purchased Office for MAC that allows up to 5 users to share the software. I can't find mine for the life of it and I was hoping somebody here has a legal copy with remaining "user licenses" to share.

Sorry if it came across as soliciting a pirate copy to share.
I totally understand if the threads needs to be locked/erased
Cheers
Vincent

. . . that soliciting illegal activity on this forum is strictly prohibited.

I believe sharing of software programs for the purpose of copying would certainly meet this definition.

Thank you.

BBD

vav
12-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks. I had no idea something like this actually existed.
Vincent

I use Office Libre which is open source. It works on both platforms. I find that 90% of the functionality is the same as the others you pay for. Bonus, you can save to .doc for people that need that sort of thing. One drawback to saving to a different format is that sometimes the formatting of a document is a little off. So far, I consider it worth it considering it's free. There are so many alternatives to the more expensive software out there.

http://alternativeto.net/

esldude
12-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I recommend Libre Office also. Then you can decide if you wish to spend on the other software.

Also, something lighter weight, and also free open source is Abiword for Word type stuff, and Gnumeric for spreadsheets. Both are available for Mac, Windows and Linux.

HenryA
12-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Might also look at Bean.
Its a nice light footprint Mac word processor.

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

No longer being developed but its free and pretty good even if it wasn't.

DHallerman
12-24-2012, 08:55 PM
I have worked with MS Word on the Mac for years, and really kids, it's much like many of our bicycles.

That is: How many of your bikes have been customized and set up just like you want? Your choice of derailleurs, shifters, brakes, gearing, et cetera, et cetera.

Well, MS Word -- actually for either OS, Mac and Windows too -- lets me, as a user, customize it to fit the way I work.

I can change menus, menu choices, keyboard shortcuts, to be exactly like I want.

And as someone who spends most of his days writing, I want my word processor to work in the way I think, with the choices and shortcuts that work best for me -- and MS Word gives me that.

And yes, I actually skipped the 2008 version of MS Word, since it didn't have Visual Basic, and just went from 2004 to 2011.

But hey, VB and the various macros I can create with it are further customization to make the app mine -- kinda like the way I love how the Jtek Shiftmate allows me to easily combine Campy Ergo shifters with Shimano mountain cassettes and any crank/chainring duo I want for a smooth shifting drivetrain.

Okay, if you're not someone who uses a word processor all the time, such customization might not matter -- but taking the time to make it mine (my bike, my version of MS Word) is the way I like my machines.

Dave, who also uses MS Excel and PowerPoint a lot too but they're not as customizable

dd74
12-26-2012, 04:48 PM
I've heard that Sky Drive (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/download) gives you full functionality of MS Office through their virtual drive (and 7GB of cloud-based storage). I've got a number of colleagues that have gone in this direction over other options and love it.
That might be worth chasing...
Yes, it's worth chasing. I've used it and find it quite brilliant.

Also, as another poster stated, Bean is a very nice word processor. Be aware, however, that the command keys are completely different from Microsoft Word, Pages or any other word processor I know of.