PDA

View Full Version : Excellent story about Bruyneel situation

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2012, 08:17 AM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/analysis/analysis-bruyneels-arbitration-proceeding-could-give-usada-the-power-to-subpoena-witnesses-including-armstrong_263566

The story mentions this hearing coming before the end of the year.

Lance's window for buying off--uh, I mean convincing Johan not to go forward--would seem to be rapidly closing.

BBD

gone
12-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Or the comments, this comment by Reid Neureiter is priceless:

Here is the most entertaining and potentially enlightening scenario:

Legal consequences be damned -- Bruyneel takes the witness stand and goes full Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men:".

The truth? You can't handle the truth! Here is the truth -- we were all doped to the gills, Indurain, me, everybody in the 90's and the 2000s. The 50% hematocrit rule required us to be. Anybody who was not doping was not trying. Cycling in America depended on a successful American team. The riders, the fans, the magazines, the cycling companies, you all loved it -- and now 14 years later you come crying that we broke the rules. Son, we live in a world that has rules. And those rules were set and enforced by people in Switzerland. Now you are changing the rules and trying to enforce them after the fact. Who's going to do it? You? You, Travis Tygart? I had a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Basson and Simeoni and you curse the US Postal Service. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Bassons and Simeoni being drummed out of the Tour, while tragic, probably saved cycling in America. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saved and built cycling bigger than it ever could have been...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me and Lance to be winning those Tours. You need us to be winning those Tours.
We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline, you call it "Omerta." I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blessing of a profitable and successful sport that I have provided, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way.

That would be fun!

oldpotatoe
12-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Legal consequences be damned -- Bruyneel takes the witness stand and goes full Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men:".

The truth? You can't handle the truth! Here is the truth -- we were all doped to the gills, Indurain, me, everybody in the 90's and the 2000s. The 50% hematocrit rule required us to be. Anybody who was not doping was not trying. Cycling in America depended on a successful American team. The riders, the fans, the magazines, the cycling companies, you all loved it -- and now 14 years later you come crying that we broke the rules. Son, we live in a world that has rules. And those rules were set and enforced by people in Switzerland. Now you are changing the rules and trying to enforce them after the fact. Who's going to do it? You? You, Travis Tygart? I had a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Basson and Simeoni and you curse the US Postal Service. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Bassons and Simeoni being drummed out of the Tour, while tragic, probably saved cycling in America. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saved and built cycling bigger than it ever could have been...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me and Lance to be winning those Tours. You need us to be winning those Tours.
We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline, you call it "Omerta." I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blessing of a profitable and successful sport that I have provided, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way.

That would be fun!

Yikes....

ultraman6970
12-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I was asking about this, they said end of the year but which year? :D

bfd
12-23-2012, 10:36 AM

That would be fun!

Excellent! But it's incomplete! It should have finished with:

Lemond: Did you order the doping?

Bruyneel: I did the job I...

Lemond: *Did you order the Doping?*

Bruyneel: *You're Goddamn right I did!*

dancinkozmo
12-23-2012, 11:01 AM
So is kimmage demi moore then ??

If so he looks pretty hot inuniform !

Rueda Tropical
12-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Sounds like Bruyneel is trying to pad his retirement account. How much is it worth to Armstrong and Weisel to keep from being subpoena'd and placed on the stand under oath.

It seems the USADA has no subpoena power. All cooperation is voluntary until there is an arbitration hearing. Lie under oath and you face perjury charges. Armstrong passed on having his day in court to avoid just such a circumstance. Now it looks like his old partner in crime is shaking him and his big money backers down.

I expect there will be some last minute accommodations and Bruyneel will walk away saying he 'can't get a fair hearing, witch hunt, etc.,"

No honor among thieves.

CunegoFan
12-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Sounds like Bruyneel is trying to pad his retirement account. How much is it worth to Armstrong and Weisel to keep from being subpoena'd and placed on the stand under oath.

It seems the USADA has no subpoena power. All cooperation is voluntary until there is an arbitration hearing. Lie under oath and you face perjury charges. Armstrong passed on having his day in court to avoid just such a circumstance. Now it looks like his old partner in crime is shaking him and his big money backers down.

I expect there will be some last minute accommodations and Bruyneel will walk away saying he 'can't get a fair hearing, witch hunt, etc.,"

No honor among thieves.

He could go through with the arbitration then challenge tolling the SOL at CAS. Most of the evidence against him, at least the stuff that is in the affidavits for the Armstrong case, happened more than eight years ago.

I hope he goes through with it. Forcing Armstrong to take the fifth would be priceless.

retrofit
12-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Excellent! But it's incomplete! It should have finished with:

Lemond: Did you order the doping?

Bruyneel: I did the job I...

Lemond: *Did you order the Doping?*

Bruyneel: *You're Goddamn right I did!*

bingo.

SolidSnake03
12-23-2012, 03:12 PM
I would absolutely love for the few men situation to come to pass. It would be just amazing to have someone be that brass, bold and frank about how and why things worked out as they did

ultraman6970
12-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Is the 5th valid in europe?

He could go through with the arbitration then challenge tolling the SOL at CAS. Most of the evidence against him, at least the stuff that is in the affidavits for the Armstrong case, happened more than eight years ago.

I hope he goes through with it. Forcing Armstrong to take the fifth would be priceless.

Rueda Tropical
12-23-2012, 04:45 PM
We use words like honor, code, loyalty...[/i]

That sort of malarkey is only after they get nailed and need to justify cheating. People don't cheat for the fans, or the good of the sport. They do it for themselves. It's pretty much screw you and everyone else, screw the sport and sportsmanship or honor - I'm going to do what ever it takes to get mine.

cnighbor1
12-23-2012, 05:24 PM
''Bruyneel was not only the team’s director sportif, and Armstrong was not just its star rider. Both were part owners of Tailwind Sports, the management company that owned the U.S. Postal and Discovery Channel teams and the entity that received and allocated the team’s sponsorship funds. As such, both were positioned to know the finer details of how the team’s organized doping system was established, where the money came from, how much of it there was, how it flowed through the organization, and where it ended up. But perhaps more importantly, they could know whether anyone else among the team’s owners and sponsors knew what was happening and when they knew it.

As a result, Bruyneel’s arbitration hearing could open an investigative window into Tailwind Sports and, by extension, Armstrong’s far-reaching business network. It is a window that those involved would likely prefer to keep closed. Tailwind’s ownership, headed by San Francisco investment banker Thom Weisel, also included a number of his fellow financiers as well as longtime Armstrong insiders like Bill Stapleton and Bart Knaggs and the CEOs of long time team sponsors Trek Bicycles and Bell Sports. The ownership’s sporting entanglements stretched outwards to touch the highest levels of USA Cycling and the U.S. Olympic Committee. If wrongdoing at Tailwind were uncovered, the ramifications could be significant, both inside and outside the sport.
''
charles

oldpotatoe
12-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Is the 5th valid in europe?

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

Pretty sure the US Constitution doesn't hold much sway in Europe..It did come from the Manga Carta, so each country may have a version but US Constitution.

gone
12-24-2012, 08:54 AM
My guess is at the last moment Bruyneel will refuse arbitration with the usual "can't get a fair hearing" and end up with a bunch of "consulting" jobs from Trek, Tailwind, etc., since direct payments for no services are too obviously a payoff.

54ny77
12-24-2012, 09:05 AM
when any of that entourage wakes up each morning, one might wonder if they say to themselves, "hell yeah it was worth it."

i'll take a guess that the answer is yes, and they don't ask themselves that question.

oh well. life, miraculously, will still go on....