PDA

View Full Version : Booties

jpw
12-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Booties, my least favorite piece of bike kit to shop for, but I need a new pair. Ideally easy to get on and off, no hook and loop velcro, zips that will not pop open, can take scuff contact from the road and gravel, and keep my feet warm and dry. Too much to ask? :-)

If you've had success here please do tell.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Booties, my least favorite piece of bike kit to shop for, but I need a new pair. Ideally easy to get on and off, no hook and loop velcro, zips that will not pop open, can take scuff contact from the road and gravel, and keep my feet warm and dry. Too much to ask? :-)

If you've had success here please do tell.

I have Curve stretchy ones. No zipper or velcro at all. Work well, not expensive.

http://www.bikemania.biz/shoe-covers/curve-winter-racing-shoe-covers

AngryScientist
12-23-2012, 08:14 AM
i've always been a fan of most specialized accessories. they are generally affordable and well engineered pieced of equipment. i've had these for a few seasons and they've been really great.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ec6Ov2eXB3E/UMOvAiwC7WI/AAAAAAAAA-w/-dm64o50n9o/s640/IMG_1136.JPG

MattTuck
12-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure if you're riding around Raleigh or looking to head North to colder climes...

I think most booties are going to get you down to 30-40 degrees with out too much problem, especially with a good wool sock.

Going much below that, and you're going to need a winter specific bootie/shoe. The reason for this is that the soles of most cycling shoes have vents and extra holes for cleat mounting and booties that have a hole for the cleat allow cold air to infiltrate through those spots.

I got a pair of pearl izumi heavy duty booties thinking I could ride them in the winter, and realistically they only work down to about 25-30 degrees.

Just something to think about depending on what temps you're looking to deal with.

Edit: I believe Superfeet makes a cold weather insole that has some heat reflective technology, that might be something to investigate too. (in concert with booties for very cold weather)

christian
12-23-2012, 08:41 AM
I agree with Matt. I'm pretty warm-blooded (can wear any Assos kit in 10 degrees colder than they recommend) but summer shoes and booties with glove warmers get pretty chilly after about 2 hours of Zone 2 under 25 degrees. It's 2h40 to my work in Zone 2 (2h16 top of Zone 3) and I'm pretty unhappy the last 30 minutes. Zone 3 I'm fine because I'm working harder.

I'm wearing the PI all-Velcro booties. They are only ok; I replaced a pair of Sugoi soft-shell booties that blew out the zipper.

93legendti
12-23-2012, 08:41 AM
http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/men/ride/accessories/7.-productCode-14381105.html
I have these...they do have Velcro, but the strip in back is so wide they are easy to put on and take off and stay put while riding. I will be using them today. Easier to deal with than the stretch Exte Ondo booties I had without zippers and Velcro..

dancinkozmo
12-23-2012, 08:15 PM
...matt is right...but , if you dont want to buy new winter shoes, try this....

Eat a couple of bags of doritoes....then take the insoles out of your cycling shoes
And trace them out onto the doritoes bag with a sharpie or something.
Cut out the pattern and slip them into your shoes. Put the insoles back.

And viola ! Instant winter cycling shoes !

You could also use one of those inexpensive silver space-blankets if you dont like doritoes !

MattTuck
12-23-2012, 08:40 PM
...matt is right...but , if you dont want to buy new winter shoes, try this....

Eat a couple of bags of doritoes....then take the insoles out of your cycling shoes
And trace them out onto the doritoes bag with a sharpie or something.
Cut out the pattern and slip them into your shoes. Put the insoles back.

And viola ! Instant winter cycling shoes !

You could also use one of those inexpensive silver space-blankets if you dont like doritoes !

This is actually a pretty good idea. You could also possibly put some duct tape and seal the bottom part of the shoe... this would solve some of the cold air infiltration problem.

Thanks for the tip!

carpediemracing
12-23-2012, 09:30 PM
I like the foil insole idea. I just bought some Louis Garneau (?) winter insoles. They're next to my trainer waiting to be trimmed down for my shoe.

Although the OP specifies no velcro, I keep returning to the same booties I've had for many, many years. I think I got the current set in 2004? The earlier ones I gave away to other racers/riders.

http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2009/12/review-sidetrak-booties.html

They're cheap, they very unsexy, and they don't seal the bottom. I find them okay down to about 25 deg F. Very soft ankle area, a huge plus when virtually every other bootie I've tried has cut and abraded my ankle.

Winter shoes are nice. A tip - if you buy them buy them in the same size as your summer shoes. I made the mistake of buying my Sidi winter shoes in a 42. They're too big. A 41 would have been much better.