PDA

View Full Version : 26mm Carbon Handlebars

proletariandan
12-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with/for/against a particular model? Thinking about getting some NOS Kestrels. Looking for a traditional or compact smooth bend.

Would I be asking for a mouthful of tarmac if I ran them with a Grammo quill stem or should I be fine if I don't overtighten?

Thanks!
Dan

thirdgenbird
12-22-2012, 02:41 PM
I had this same debate and ended up sticking with aluminum. My experience with a 1in carbon steerer was disappointing (no failure, just flex) and I figure the salsa stem is enough gambling :)

To my credit, it isn't a recalled salsa and I am 98% sure it is a true American made one (some of those failed too though)

Anyway, I just ordered a pair of soma highway one bars. I've got no idea what the weight is, but they seem to be one of the few true 26mm compact bars. Deda 215s are also great bars. I've got two pair of them with ergo bend but they also make a more traditional shallow version.

Maybe I'm a wuss, but I'm about ready to part with a carbon record post. Im going from an aluminum to a steel frame and carbon in a pinch clamp just doesn't feel right.

phcollard
12-22-2012, 03:16 PM
If you want carbon because it's lightweight may I suggest you look for the Ricthey WCS Classic alloy handlebar. They cannot be found new anymore but sometimes show up on eBay. 26mm (25.8 actually), classic round and 210g :)

EricEstlund
12-22-2012, 05:47 PM
I always liked the Kestral. Nice bend, pleasant shape at the top.

jds108
12-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Do not use a 1 bolt stem with carbon bars. Most (can't possibly be sure if it was all) mfrs said that 2 or 4 bolt face plate clamps are necessary.

It's pretty straightforward, the 1 bolt clamp puts the compression in just one spot, and can crush the carbon. So I wouldn't use that grammo with a carbon bar. Having said that, it's pretty easy to image that a carbon bar could have enough support material in the clamp area to handle a 1 bolt stem. I just know that Easton and TTT said not to use a 1 bolt stem with their carbon bars.

DfCas
12-22-2012, 06:02 PM
I've had kestral 26 bars for years and they are fine. Stiff and comfy. I have the regular, not the SL version.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with/for/against a particular model? Thinking about getting some NOS Kestrels. Looking for a traditional or compact smooth bend.

Would I be asking for a mouthful of tarmac if I ran them with a Grammo quill stem or should I be fine if I don't overtighten?

Thanks!
Dan

I had a Grammo and got a carbon bar, Kestrel, mounted it and promptly cracked the handlebar..When the Grammo clamp is tightened, it doesn't stay round and you are asking for trouble, IMHO.

pcxmbfj
12-23-2012, 07:54 AM
I have a Krestrel from the 90"s that I bought because (IIRC) it did not require a face plate stem.
As I remember I was looking at the Easton carbon bar also but its description recommended or required a stem with faceplate.
Installing bars on stems of the time always required a lot of wrangling to get the curved drops through the stem.
The stem was even a 25.4 ti mountain bike stem and I didn't know it.
The ti probably is more pliable than aluminum so no bar cracking after a decade of use.

proletariandan
12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
I had a Grammo and got a carbon bar, Kestrel, mounted it and promptly cracked the handlebar..When the Grammo clamp is tightened, it doesn't stay round and you are asking for trouble, IMHO.

Hmm thanks, I'll definitely take that into consideration :eek:

CSBArizona
12-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Ditto on the Ritchey WCS 26.0 - It comes in a classic bend, and I think that it is still available, at least in 40cm . . .

The Ritchey (and the classic bend Deda 215 shallow) are my favorite lightweight bars--

Ralph
12-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Ditto on the Ritchey WCS 26.0 - It comes in a classic bend, and I think that it is still available, at least in 40cm . . .

The Ritchey (and the classic bend Deda 215 shallow) are my favorite lightweight bars--

I still use Ritchey Aluminum WCS bars (26 MM), stems, and seat posts on both the bikes I ride. Light as CF for a fraction of the cost (WCS models). Not as likely for catastrophic fairlure IMHO also. Hard to beat I think. Doesn't bother me not to ride the latest fad stuff.

oliver1850
12-24-2012, 05:16 PM
I have the Kestrel on one bike. No issues, but less than 500 miles on it. My impression is that they are stiffer than the 26.0/26.4 AL bars that I more often ride.