PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Building Lacing

socalspeedsk8r
12-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Is it true that you can't or shouldn't build a 24-hole wheel 3x on the drive side. I'm building a Stan's Alpha 340 rim to the new Shimano 9000 24-hole hub and was looking to go radial on the non-drive side and 3x on the drive side. Would it be better to build a 2x on both side for this build. Needs to be stiff and light.

Scott

ultraman6970
12-20-2012, 09:47 PM
You can the problem I believe is that the spokes will overlap the heads and will look like crap. Or in other ways is the same to say that the angle will not be the right one.

You can built the wheel whatever you want... yes you can do straight in one side and 2x at the other side... you can do 2x in both sides aswell.

About how strong the wheel will be is hard to tell, how good are you building wheels? Rims and spokes have a lot to do with this because if you are going to use a box low profile in 24 spokes the wheel is going to get not as strong as building it with a 30 mm tall rim. (part erased)

Those are 21 mm rims, no experience with those rims so cant tell for sure what it will happen. All the low spoke stuff i have are 30 + tall rims, I even have a 24 hole triplet similar to what you want to built but im using straight pull spokes and 3 mm bladed spokes because you can get way more tension than with regular spokes, it is a mere thing of opinions ok? Maybe somebody has built with those rims, i dont have experience with those rims.

Post pictures of the wheels ...

:)

Grant McLean
12-20-2012, 10:40 PM
the maximum number of spoke crosses is the whole number you get by dividing the number of spoke holes by 9.
If you exceed that number, the heads of the spoke in the hub will be overlapped by the crossing spoke.

For 24 spokes go 2x, the bracing angle is very similar to a 32x3 cross pattern.

-g

oldpotatoe
12-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Is it true that you can't or shouldn't build a 24-hole wheel 3x on the drive side. I'm building a Stan's Alpha 340 rim to the new Shimano 9000 24-hole hub and was looking to go radial on the non-drive side and 3x on the drive side. Would it be better to build a 2x on both side for this build. Needs to be stiff and light.

Scott

Lots of spoke to flange overlap with 3 cross. I'd say do 2 cross, both sides. Nothing to gain with radial LH side(IMHO, of course). If ya want it stiff, use a stiff rim, and more spokes.....14/15 spokes and brass nipps. Unfortunately that rim is light which does not equal stiff.

Since the flange center to center of that hub is ala Campagnolo, I'd use prolock nipps as well.

carpediemracing
12-21-2012, 07:39 AM
the maximum number of spoke crosses is the whole number you get by dividing the number of spoke holes by 9.
If you exceed that number, the heads of the spoke in the hub will be overlapped by the crossing spoke.

For 24 spokes go 2x, the bracing angle is very similar to a 32x3 cross pattern.

-g

+1

My favorite old style wheelset was a 28x3. It's like a 36x4, very close to the absolute max (28/3 = 9.1 so close to a whole 9). Long spokes, lots of room for spoke tension tuning, etc.

floxy1
12-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Stiff with that rim is a relative term....