PDA

View Full Version : Converting 2009 Centaur Silver 10 Spd to 11 Spd

jlwdm
12-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I have three road bikes, and until the last couple of months they have all been in different states. This is the first time I have ever had two road bikes in the same location.

This bike has early 2009 Silver Centaur group without the distinct clicking.

My other two bikes have 11 speed Chorus/Record and Record/Super Record groups. So I think I will change the Centaur to 11 speed for ease of switching wheels. Right now all three groups have the same hoods - and all three have the same pedals and saddles - so there is a lot of consistency.

I have read all of the threads I could find out this and some other forums about this conversion, but I am at the mercy of searching the titles and am sure I have missed some good threads. Also, I find conflicting opinions on the best way to do this.

I do not do my own maintenance and I want to do this the best way I can to make the group work right - more important than saving money.

So give me your best advice.

Derailleurs; Chain and Cassette; Brakes
Buy new derailleurs.
Buy new chain and cassette.
Use current brakes.

Crankset
Just use the current cranks? Compact cranks.
It is said that the Athena chainrings are better than the Centaur. Are the bolt patterns and sizes the same so you could change out just the chainrings?

Shifters
Want to keep the ultra shift capability - multiple gears with right lever.
So left shifter is fine for 11 speed as is?
Right shifter: what parts do I need to make the shifter 11 spd ultra shift?

Thank you.

Jeff

ultraman6970
12-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I dont think you can convert a 10 shifter to a 11 shifter because there are no parts available. No idea if you have a ultra shift or the scape type of mechanism inside of that centaur either so pretty much i would advice you right straight to get an athena brifter set, you can use the RD and FD, those will work with 11. The RD needs a tiny tweak tho.

Since you dont do your own work I have no idea if this will help you because the 1st thing will happen in a store will be to just sell you the whole athena group.

Hope this helps.

jlwdm
12-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I have ultra shift and it was my understanding from other threads that you could convert to 11.

Dave and OP will know for sure.

Jeff

ultraman6970
12-20-2012, 06:10 PM
the problem are the parts,,, the ultra shift 11 and the ultrashift 10 have different insides man... i have them both. The only way to do it is if you find the wheelie thingy that actually makes the shifts and that part is not available no more, no idea even if it was available for the old ultrashift 10 anyways. Thats the big issue, because when campy went to 11 they changed the whole mechanism.

To put this in perspective... you have the a carrier and the springs that always need replacement in the ultrashift 10, in ultrashift 11 those parts are not there no more, the thing has other insides to start with.

Wish 10 had the insides of the 11 speeds because the thing is super easy to service, the guy that designed deserve a price but campy dont sell parts for 11 but maybe the cable spoolers.

Somebody did something time ago converting an 11 to a 10 but no idea what he did or from where he got the parts from.

Check in brandford.

oliver1850
12-20-2012, 06:17 PM
2009 Centaur Ultrashift has the same Ergo body as Chorus/Record/SR. I don't know about parts availability, but you could surely obtain a right lever from an 11 speed US group and swap all the parts over to your Centaur.

People have used 10 speed RDs with 11 by changing the cable attachment slightly, but you might as well get an Athena.

I'd say you need a RH lever, cassette, chain, and RD to make the swap.

ultraman6970
12-20-2012, 07:40 PM
The rd can be fixed to work, is like a 5 mins fix even some people reports using the 10 rd w/o any mods.

old fat man
12-21-2012, 06:26 AM
others have noted, the hard part will be obtaining the parts, but yes, i've seen this done (the person was trying to sell the centaur levers set up as 11 speed here on the forum, but eventually converted them back to 10 speed).

you may have to find an 11 speed shifter to purge for the parts, at which point you might as well sell your (highly desirable) 10 speed Centaur ultra shift levers and buy some Chorus or Athena 11 speeds.

edit: i didn't know there was "new shape" silver Centaur in the ultra shift (dump multiple gears at once) configuration...not saying there isn't, i just don't remember that option from 2009

Ralph
12-21-2012, 07:24 AM
edit: i didn't know there was "new shape" silver Centaur in the ultra shift (dump multiple gears at once) configuration...not saying there isn't, i just don't remember that option from 2009[/QUOTE]

My son has a pair of 2009 "new shape" silver Centaurs that will dump gears. They exist. I have a pair of carbon lever 2010 Centaurs that dump gears, not sure the silver lever Centaurs were available in 10.

I also have some Power Tq 10's Centaurs. Maybe they won't dump multiple gears, which I don't do anyway since I don't ride compacts, but they sure do shift nice. I wouldn't fear PT Athena 11's.

oldpotatoe
12-21-2012, 07:27 AM
I have three road bikes, and until the last couple of months they have all been in different states. This is the first time I have ever had two road bikes in the same location.

My other two bikes have 11 speed Chorus/Record and Record/Super Record groups. So I think I will change the Centaur to 11 speed for ease of switching wheels. Right now all three groups have the same hoods - and all three have the same pedals and saddles - so there is a lot of consistency.

I have read all of the threads I could find out this and some other forums about this conversion, but I am at the mercy of searching the titles and am sure I have missed some good threads. Also, I find conflicting opinions on the best way to do this.

I do not do my own maintenance and I want to do this the best way I can to make the group work right - more important than saving money.

Buy new derailleurs.
Use current brakes.

Crankset
It is said that the Athena chainrings are better than the Centaur. Are the bolt patterns and sizes the same so you could change out just the chainrings?

Shifters

Thank you.

Jeff

Use the current cranks, 10s is fine with an 11s chain.

Get a new RD..they shift 11s better, get Chorus. You can use a 10s RD but it undershifts so you have to mod how the cable attaches..easier to just get a RD. 10s FD is fine with 11s.

Left shifter didn't change with 11s.

I have the RH shift innards for 11s, one set..stripped a lever for it. Need the rear 11s 'disc' and the front 11s toothed bushing. OR you can buy the RH Chorus shifter assembly complete..about $100 retail. All but the brake lever, hood, clamp band. BUT the disc and toothed bushing is going to be about $80.

I'll need to check on the UT shift guts, pretty sure they are 'in the drawer'...

jlwdm
12-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Use the current cranks, 10s is fine with an 11s chain.

Get a new RD..they shift 11s better, get Chorus. You can use a 10s RD but it undershifts so you have to mod how the cable attaches..easier to just get a RD. 10s FD is fine with 11s.

Left shifter didn't change with 11s.

I have the RH shift innards for 11s, one set..stripped a lever for it. Need the rear 11s 'disc' and the front 11s toothed bushing. OR you can buy the RH Chorus shifter assembly complete..about $100 retail. All but the brake lever, hood, clamp band. BUT the disc and toothed bushing is going to be about $80.

I'll need to check on the UT shift guts, pretty sure they are 'in the drawer'...

Thanks OP. Let me know what you have and I can send the right shifter and order up what else I need.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
12-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks OP. Let me know what you have and I can send the right shifter and order up what else I need.

Jeff

10-4..I'll check the drawer.. I also have the Chorus RH assembly complete as well...plus the der, chains, cogsets...etc. I can swap the parts..with the disc s swap, needs a front to back takeapaprt.

oldpotatoe
12-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Buy new derailleurs.
Use current brakes.

Crankset

Shifters

Thank you.

Jeff

I do have the front bushing and rear disc for 11s, let me know.