PDA

View Full Version : Cycling coach in CO fired for doping

kenw
12-19-2012, 06:17 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22215050/colorado-cycling-coach-who-admitted-past-doping-fired?source=rss

John H.
12-19-2012, 06:40 PM
No surprise here. He has been the American Ferarri for many years.

e-RICHIE
12-19-2012, 06:48 PM
No surprise here. He has been the American Ferarri for many years.

This ^ atmo.

Louis
12-19-2012, 06:51 PM
How long until he is back working again?

Tandem Rider
12-20-2012, 07:57 AM
He's probably already garnered enough masters clients in the last week
to more than offset any financial hit from losing his job.

shovelhd
12-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Another one that can go **** himself.
Speaking as a Masters racer.

54ny77
12-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Sad, but probably true.

HGH clinics, anyone?

$1200-$1800/mo, and you too can relish in the glory of beating another amateur who's knocking on the door of senior discount tickets at the movie theater.

He's probably already garnered enough masters clients in the last week
to more than offset any financial hit from losing his job.

CunegoFan
12-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Another one that can go **** himself.
Speaking as a Masters racer.

No worries, mate. The real coaching money is in triathlon. The amount of doping for age groupers there is ridiculous.

Tandem Rider
12-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Sad, but probably true.

HGH clinics, anyone?

$1200-$1800/mo, and you too can relish in the glory of beating another amateur who's knocking on the door of senior discount tickets at the movie theater.

Some of these cats spend huge money on polishing their egos. I raced clean, won a few races, placed in some more, beat a few "highly suspect" riders got beat by a few too. Would the results have been any different if everyone was absolutely clean? Maybe. I might have missed out on a hundred bucks this year, but I know I can look myself and my family in the eye. That is worth way more than a few pairs of socks. If they are juicing that is their problem, not mine. It did take me a long time to get to the point where I can laugh at them rather than be pissed though.

shovelhd
12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Some of these cats spend huge money on polishing their egos. I raced clean, won a few races, placed in some more, beat a few "highly suspect" riders got beat by a few too. Would the results have been any different if everyone was absolutely clean? Maybe. I might have missed out on a hundred bucks this year, but I know I can look myself and my family in the eye. That is worth way more than a few pairs of socks. If they are juicing that is their problem, not mine. It did take me a long time to get to the point where I can laugh at them rather than be pissed though.

I'm not in that state of mind yet. I work my *** off to be competitive at the national level, and I do it completely clean and within the rules. It is the insinuation that success = doping that torques me off.

shovelhd
12-20-2012, 02:26 PM
No worries, mate. The real coaching money is in triathlon. The amount of doping for age groupers there is ridiculous.

Maybe so, but there are enough in my field every weekend.

svelocity
12-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Maybe so, but there are enough in my field every weekend.

I'm surprised to understand there are so many cyclists/triathletes doping in the amateur ranks. Disheartening...

Tandem Rider
12-20-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm not in that state of mind yet. I work my *** off to be competitive at the national level, and I do it completely clean and within the rules. It is the insinuation that success = doping that torques me off.

I think that most of the people who make that insinuation are wannbe's not really pinning on numbers, not doing the work, but I do get your point. Most of us have a pretty good idea what is what but without proof...I just don't blab out names without proof.

It is possible to compete at Natz without being hot, (I'm proof of that, no jersey but I've been on the steps). Some people don't think it's possible, too bad for them.

I started racing in the 70's, some guys were hot back in the day. One guy I know, former pro, attributes his current serious health problems to it. He was beatable then, even juiced. I don't know how he feels about his results from back then. Current stuff might be even more dangerous, I don't know.

I know that if I do win a jersey, it won't have a stain on it and I won't have any doubts about it's authenticity. I'd rather lose clean than win dirty. Sounds like you are doing it the right way too.

oldpotatoe
12-21-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm surprised to understand there are so many cyclists/triathletes doping in the amateur ranks. Disheartening...

Well, like in the 'herd' of running, there is no testing, not real testing.

My wife has asthma, I've been approached by age grouper triathletes asking for a 'spare inhaler' cuz ya know, 'they have a bit of asthma too'. For a sport that tales so much time and money, the ones that get serious also have the $ and time to do it and they get real serious...scary serious.

shovelhd
12-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Well, like in the 'herd' of running, there is no testing, not real testing.

My wife has asthma, I've been approached by age grouper triathletes asking for a 'spare inhaler' cuz ya know, 'they have a bit of asthma too'. For a sport that tales so much time and money, the ones that get serious also have the $ and time to do it and they get real serious...scary serious.

I have EIA and use an inhaler before every hard training effort and race. It does not require a TUE unless you take something like 8x the normal dose.

Tandem Rider
12-21-2012, 08:21 PM
I have cold induced asthma, had it since I was a kid. Use an inhaler before hard efforts in cold weather. It doesn't stop an attack but it helps. In warmer weather it does nothing so I don't bother to use it then.

8 times? Holy cow! How many "puffs" would that be? Isn't that like an entire inhaler?

shovelhd
12-21-2012, 10:41 PM
I use Pro-Air HFA, salbuterol, as a preventative. Each puff is 90 micrograms, and I take two, once per hard day, no less than 20 minutes before the effort. That's 180 micrograms. The limit is 1600 micrograms per day without a TUE.

I hate using this stuff. The main side effect for me is elevated heart rate. It usually works out to about 30bpm higher for about 20 minutes after inhaling it. I have to time my warmups so that I'm not pushing 100 watts with a heart rate of 130bpm. However, if I do not use it, especially in cold or dry weather, at maximum effort, my throat will tighten after about a minute. After two minutes I start getting fluid in my throat. That is the beginning of the end. I can only hack it up for about another minute before my throat swells up enough that my breathing is severely restricted and I start wheezing. I do not take it with me in my jersey because of the heart rate issue.

Tandem Rider
12-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Albuterol is what I've been using, elevated heart rate too. It sort of helps as a preventative but it's not 100%. On cold races and rides I carry it with me because if the tightening starts the only option is to slow down anyway so I just take a "hit" then too and it will often prevent an attack. I figure that I'm dropped anyway so I might as well speed up the recovery. On a warm day it only serves to ramp up my heart rate so I leave it at home until the temps drop again.

Everytime I start grumping about cold induced I talk to someone who has exercise induced. I think I actually got the better end of the deal there, it'll warm up again, I'm not ski racing after all.

Do you do any indoor training? How is that with EIA? It's usually pretty humid for me, would that help?

shovelhd
12-22-2012, 06:52 PM
It's always nice to talk with someone who deals with a variation of the same thing. It does affect me indoors, it did so today during low cadence 53-11 workouts on the trainer. I stupidly let my prescription lapse in November so all I had were older inhalers. As you know, they don't have the same effect as a new inhaler, and I paid the price. I had to take a 1' break in the middle of the set to catch my breath. My basement is not super dry and is in the high 60's so the environment isn't too much of an issue for me. It's the high efforts that trigger it. I'm primarily a criterium racer, so you can imagine how much this sucks.

Tandem Rider
12-22-2012, 09:00 PM
It might have been a method of survival from BID but I twisted myself into a TT/ roadie, longer more controlled efforts, sick, I know. I will admit though I love doing some of the crits that have an obstacle like a hill. I think it's because the only fast twitch muscle I own is in my tongue ;^).

It seems like the season here starts earlier every year, therefore colder. I'm one of those weirdos that thinks one of the best things in the world is pinning a number on my *ss and lining up so I'm morally compelled to race the early season gravel road races too.

You are truly hardcore if you are doing that workout in Dec. wow, I am in awe, I would probably want to quit by July if I tried that now. I'm just doing steady state sub-FTP for now.

We either need a little more snow here so so I can XC-ski or warm up and clear the roads. Steady state rides suck indoors.