PDA

View Full Version : Giant Defy road fenders?

dbh
12-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Curious if anyone has every used them? I've got an RB-1, with 28mm tires. Been thinking about putting fenders on for the winter, but I'd probably have to go to 23s or 25s in order to have enough clearance with standard Honjo/VO fenders. The Defy fenders look like a good work around, which would allow me to still run 28s, and the price is right.

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-pa/partsaccessories/accessories/338/28915/

jds108
12-19-2012, 04:58 PM
do those need eyelets at the dropouts?

Hank Scorpio
12-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Look pretty similar to the SKS raceblade long.

oldpotatoe
12-20-2012, 08:31 AM
do those need eyelets at the dropouts?

Either that or 'p' clamps. Eyelets make it easier to mount. With 'reach arounds', yep, like the longer RaceBlades.

krhea
12-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I've tried the Defy fenders and was not happy with how flimsy they were. The SKS Raceblade long fenders are cool but mounting the fender to the clip is not easy and we've broken quite a few during install. If you can get the fender into the guide notches you're golden but ya gotta be careful.

Here in the Pacific NW we're always looking for the latest greatest fenders for close clearance frames or doing serious mods with "reach-arounds" etc to get the job done. This year we think we've found God's gift to the fender world and they just happen to be from a Portland Company:

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/full-metal-fenders%E2%84%A2

These are by far the best engineered fenders I've ever seen for race/close clearance frames. They're a stout fender, fir perfectly EXCEPT if you have Breezer style dropouts. They have a quick release feature and in their info it says for 23mm tires but they'll fit lots of 25s as well. As an added bonus, they look great and on some bikes are hardly noticeable, especially darker color bikes. They're not cheap but the added cost can certainly be seen in the detail and felt once they're attached.