PDA

View Full Version : OT: Frost Flowers

William
12-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Just thought this was very interesting.....

William

Suddenly There's A Meadow In The Ocean With 'Flowers' Everywhere
by ROBERT KRULWICH
December 19, 201211:19 AM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/12/17/167469845/suddenly-theres-a-meadow-in-the-ocean-with-flowers-everywhere

It was three, maybe four o'clock in the morning when he first saw them. Grad student Jeff Bowman was on the deck of a ship; he and a University of Washington biology team were on their way back from the North Pole. It was cold outside, the temperature had just dropped, and as the dawn broke, he could see a few, then more, then even more of these little flowery things, growing on the frozen sea.

"I was absolutely astounded," he says. They were little protrusions of ice, delicate, like snowflakes. They began growing in the dry, cold air "like a meadow spreading off in all directions. Every available surface was covered with them." What are they?

"Frost flowers," he was told. "I'd never heard of them," Jeff says, "but they were everywhere." They aren't flowers, of course. They are more like ice sculptures that grow on the border between the sea and air.......

:cool:

GuyGadois
12-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Very cool read. Thanks for posting.

GG

tiretrax
12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
wow. nothing is more amazing than mother nature.

William
12-20-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm always humbled by the things we don't know.

William

jr59
12-20-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm always humbled by the things we don't know.

William

You should meet my ex wife. She knew everything! :banana::banana:

Nice story !

William
12-20-2012, 07:07 AM
You should meet my ex wife. She knew everything! :banana::banana:

Nice story !

Ha! Sounds like my mother-in-law. She knows everything and she's never wrong. Even when she clearly is wrong, she's still not wrong.;)

William

tiretrax
12-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I can't comment on this - it hits too close at home and work!