PDA

View Full Version : Other options for mechanical road discs (besides BB7)

4Rings6Stars
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
I have BB7 road discs on my commuter and they are great. Besides the old Hayes hydros on my mountain bike, these are the only discs I have used. I don't have any complaints, just curious if people here have tested some of the new offerings from Tektro, Shimano, etc.

I know BB5s are a pain in the arse to set up/adjust from my research, and that is why I sprung for BB7 on my first build. Trying to decide if I want to stick with tried and true or try something different for the new build.

d_douglas
12-19-2012, 11:18 AM
I am interested in the same question.

Bostic
12-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Shimano has two new mechanical disc brakes for 2013. Cross CX75 and Road 515. No idea if they perform better than BB7's, which I have been very happy with on my Volagi Liscio.

noahgenda
12-19-2012, 12:21 PM
All the mechanical Tektros I have ever had to deal with have been awful.
BB5 is a pain to set up, and maintain.
Nashbar has a super cheap set but pretty sure they are re-branded tektro
Hayes CX-5 are real pretty but I have no experience
Atomlab GI work well enough (I'm told) but are more $ than BB7

Currently my Bikes have BB7 road and mountain, Avid Elixir 7 (hydro) and Formula R1 (hydro and awesome)

Pavement/gravel bikes have mechanical
Mtb's have hydro because they work so much better for the application.

bigmatt
12-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I am a bike mechanic so I have built up hundreds of bikes with mechanical disc brakes. My experience is with the lower/mid of most brands. Tektro, Hayes, and Shimano all suck in comparison to Avids. The low end Hayes don't have a barrel adjustor so that is a big pain. The Tektros and Shimanos normally do. I have road BB7s on my disc Kelly cross bike and couldn't be happier. The design is old, but if it isn't broken don't fix it.

VA-Scooter
12-19-2012, 09:44 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I have road BB7 on a cross bike that I use mostly on road-I love the brakes.