PDA

View Full Version : Would you put S&S couplers on your favorite frame?

bluesea
12-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Any thoughts on this option?

echelon_john
12-18-2012, 12:09 PM
depends on the frame (tubing? thickness?) and purpose. if your favorite frame is a road bike made from S3, then no. if it's made from something a little more robust, then sure, if you plan to travel a lot with it. done properly, you won't notice any difference in ride/handling.

just find a builder who does lots of S&S conversions; Bilenky is known as being very competent for this, but there are lots of others.

eddief
12-18-2012, 12:12 PM
But of my 3 existing road bikes, my new coupled Curtlo does compete well with the other two...and I do throw it in the box when I travel. It seems to have a great durable powder coat and I do have two carbon forks; one crappy for travel and one Enve for home use. I know it will get crapped up over time, but it was purpose built for that. Not pushing Curtlo, but I do think he can build you a new travel frame for about 2x most would charge for doing a retro.

thirdgenbird
12-18-2012, 12:15 PM
No, but only because my favorite frame is a tommasini tecno. It just wouldn't be right.

I would consider putting couplers in my newly acquired colnago frame however.

rugbysecondrow
12-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Yes, my favorite frame is a Bedford Sport Tourer with couplers. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86754&highlight=bedford+sport

If you would have a custom frame built with them, I would see not reason not to customize a current frame with them.

Bradford
12-18-2012, 12:50 PM
I love the couplers on my tandem, but I wouldn't retrofit a good bike with them. Part of that is that I wouldn't cutup my legend for any reason, and part of it is that my Legend is the wrong kind of bike for a travel bike.

If I were to have a travel bike, it would be a bike that could take a rack and some wider tires. I'd go with a sport tourer with a triple, then it would work for anything in between racing and unsupported touring.

phcollard
12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
I own a Colorado Ti and a Merckx Corsa Extra and I wouldn't put couplers on neither of them. That just doesn't feel right but even if I had a more modern frame I would not do it. If I were to travel a lot I would maybe buy a coupled frame like the Ritchey Breakaway, or have a custom bike made with couplers from the start.

MattTuck
12-18-2012, 01:25 PM
I'd say it depends on your current (and planned future) stable of bikes, and how much you travel.

Realistically, there are plenty of ways to carry a bike on a car, so the only reason you'd need couplers is if you're flying with it. So you'd have to do enough flying to places you'd want to ride to make it worthwhile. Also, depending on your stable of bikes, I think a coupled bike would make a good second or third (again, unless you spend a lot of time on the road with lots of opportunity to ride while traveling).

For me, I don't travel nearly enough for me to say yes to your question.

Even if I did, I think it would make more sense to have a dedicated travel bike. It isn't like you can't bring your uncoupled bike on a trip, it just requires you to pack it up and ship it ahead of time, or get a case and pay the upcharge.

DRZRM
12-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Not my favorite frame, but if like many here you have several frames you like, absolutely put them on one. I was figuring out what would have to be done to buy a Moots built Coupled Hamsten frame, and at one point was about to sell off three frames/bikes here. It occurred to me I would save a lot of money if I only sold one, and used the funds to put couplers on one of the others, my ti IF Planet-X. I have a steel coupled single speed IF that I love to have to ride trails, but the cross frame opens up a lot more riding depending on where I travel. Ti is an awesome material for a travel bike, and having either the same or fewer bikes in the basement was an easier sell to the wife.

A great investment I say. You already know that you like how the bike rides, no expensive gamble on a new frame, and the added weight is pretty minimal.

bluesea
12-18-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm not a huge traveler, so maybe it might be best to bite the bullet and pay the cost for putting a full sized frame in baggage.

I wouldn't think about coupling a classic frame, but a custom would be an option to think about. I'm one of those finicky riders who's not interested in riding rentals, and pretty much just want to ride my own bike.

jamesutiopia
12-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Having your own bike (i.e. fit and set up for you) is definitely worth it, but I wouldn't really worry about the frame itself. If you can make a Surly coupled production frame or Ritchey stock frame work then wither is a great option, otherwise go custom.

The payoff is in having your fit and component selection/cockpit be right at the far end. Hauling around a few extra ounces is no big deal.

tiretrax
12-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't sacrifice my favorite frame. I would consider a new, coupled frame or retrofitting an older one that I liked, but I would not chop my my favorite frame.

I think you have a lot of good advice above - I'd like a custom Ti bike, but I may have an IF Planet X with rack mounts chopped because that would be a lot more cost effective for a bike that will get part time use. If you do go with a retrofit, use Bilenky and get their advice on the suitabliity of the frame. They can have it repainted, too, so it can feel like a new bike.

Louis
12-18-2012, 02:19 PM
No, because I would not travel with my favorite frame.

jamesutiopia
12-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Also-- your travel frame is surely going to get abused by the airlines and baggage screeners when they open the case and close it carelessly.

Be very happy if the damage is limited to scratched paint and don't bring your

bluesea
12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
^ Yup, reality bites.

Basically the thought came to mind, while browsing the Kirk Frameworks site, where I think there's a pic of Karin Kirk with a coupled Kirk.

A travel Moots would be cool!

MattTuck
12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
^ Yup, reality bites.

Basically the thought came to mind, while browsing the Kirk Frameworks site, where I think there's a pic of Karin Kirk with a coupled Kirk.

Yeah, I think a matte Ti frame would be the ideal travel bike. Traveling with a bike that has pristine paint just seems like you're asking for trouble.

bluesea
12-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Thinking about it a full frame might be a slightly higher risk for TSA abuse, as they are not an easy fit.

I've always been a one bike type of guy, but maybe it's time to branch out?

zennmotion
12-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Travel means different things to different people. When I travel I like the freedom of any road, anywhere, grab a map (or more often, not) and go. For me, a versatile all-rounder works best. Canti (or V) brakes for clearance for tires wide enough for gravel and moderate off-road, chainstays long enough for small panniers for light touring, geometry lively enough to keep it fun without a load, fairly inexpensive so as not to worry too much about abuse (older mix of parts that can be replaced without tears). I wouldn't choose this to do a multi day stage race or off-road extended tour, but it could do just about everything else with few compromises and the right tires. I wouldn't spend a lot on a custom for travel unless I was OK to have it abused and possibly stolen- Shlt happens. My weapon of choice is the Ritchey breakaway cross, and it's been awesome as a regular go-to all rounder at home and a travel adventure tool on 3 other continents now. One bike, couple sets of tires, easily mounted full plastic fenders for the rainy season and I'm up for anything.

mhespenheide
12-18-2012, 05:13 PM
...used the funds to put couplers on one of the others, my ti IF Planet-X...

DRZRM, can I ask who did the retrofit on your ti bike? My current bike #1 is a ti LeMond, but I often think that I'll add couplings to it once I get a new carbon bike.

One other idea: I have had the immense luxury to do some long road trips (four weeks+) around the western US. I would have loved to have been able to bring a bike with me, but as those trips were centered around hiking and backpacking, I didn't. Being able to pack up a bike and leave it in the back of a van or station wagon and have it be less of a target for thieves would have been a great compromise. But I agree that a all-'rounder cyclocross-style bike would be the way that I'd want to go.

Kirk007
12-18-2012, 05:19 PM
I dunno about "favorite" but nothing wrong in having an "every bit as good as" frame with couplers. I ended up with two Kirks in part because Dave talked me out of putting couplers in a bike meant to be ridden day in and day out twelve months a year (smart guy that Dave - sells me two bikes ; ) ).

But having talked about this with him more recently I think its fair to say that if you take care of your equipment, which with a coupled bike includes checking tightness of the couplers regularly, using the right grease on the threads. etc. etc. that Dave would approve of couplers even for an everyday bike.

So if you are starting from scratch, no reason your "favorite" couldn't be coupled.

rugbysecondrow
12-18-2012, 05:59 PM
But having talked about this with him more recently I think its fair to say that if you take care of your equipment, which with a coupled bike includes checking tightness of the couplers regularly, using the right grease on the threads. etc. etc. that Dave would approve of couplers even for an everyday bike.
So if you are starting from scratch, no reason your "favorite" couldn't be coupled.

This is my point, you can ride a couplered bike any and everyday...it is not just relagated for travel only use. Why pay money, go through the hassle of planning a trip, packing etc only to arrive with a bike which is inferior? I want my best, one of if not my favorite bike on my trip with me. I would hate to be riding along wishing I was on my other bike. Why not make your favorite bike better by giving it more utility?

This is my perspective though. I actually have two couplered bikes, one SS and one geared. My SS is what I use for quick travel, one or two nighters, the geared is my Bedford which I take on trips, longer vacations etc.

Lastly, favorite might not be nicest, most expensive, but just the one you want to ride the most. If you love riding that bike, why would you not facilitate more ways to ride with it?

Kirk007
12-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I actually have two couplered bikes, one SS and one geared. My SS is what I use for quick travel, one or two nighters, the geared is my Bedford which I take on trips, longer vacations etc.

I think this approach is dang close to ideal. I've thought about a coupled single speed mountain bike as much of my business travel takes me to places with great single track as well as road riding. Lately I've been very tempted by configurations like the new Salsa vaya stainless travel bike - dropouts accomodate multiple configurations or perhaps an eccentric bottom bracket and go with a cross/drop bar mountain bike/gravel bike geometry; maybe 650b wheels for ease of travel if wanting to take wider tires for off road focused trips.

572cv
12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I picked out a Serotta ti Fierte specifically as a travel bike, and sent it to Bilenky to be chopped before I even rode it. I love this bike, to ride generally, and as a really superior travel bike. It has carried me up and down cols in the Pyrenees and Alps, on travel to California, and all over New England. It is bare ti, so the frame looks crisp. It carries its scratches well. I think having a bike you look forward to using anytime, but can travel with, is a terrific asset. One works hard to set aside the time to travel, and if riding is the objective, then a good travel bike is just going to make those trips better.

When I do my real winter overhaul of the bike, I'll try to remember to do a little photo essay for the custom bike section for those interested.

Jeff N.
12-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Not no, but HELL no. Jeff N.

DRZRM
12-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I had it coupled by Bilinky during their summer sale. Now it's getting a bead blasted finish and white panels. Should be back to me any day now. I'll post pics, and I'm taking it to New Orleans for a few days in January.

DRZRM, can I ask who did the retrofit on your ti bike? My current bike #1 is a ti LeMond, but I often think that I'll add couplings to it once I get a new carbon bike.

One other idea: I have had the immense luxury to do some long road trips (four weeks+) around the western US. I would have loved to have been able to bring a bike with me, but as those trips were centered around hiking and backpacking, I didn't. Being able to pack up a bike and leave it in the back of a van or station wagon and have it be less of a target for thieves would have been a great compromise. But I agree that a all-'rounder cyclocross-style bike would be the way that I'd want to go.

Nags&Ducs
12-18-2012, 11:22 PM
I had it coupled by Bilinky during their summer sale. Now it's getting a bead blasted finish and white panels. Should be back to me any day now. I'll post pics, and I'm taking it to New Orleans for a few days in January.

Hey DZRM, sounds like your IF is going to look a lot like my Dean Ti. I ride this frame routinely along with the rest of my bikes.

I recently ordered another S&S frame- a Lynskey Cooper CX disc that I'll use for daily commuting.

I agree with a lot of people's sentiment here- Ti is great material for a travel bike, and I wouldn't couple my favorite frame, because some should be left in its original state. A classic like Tommasini, Peg, Mondonico, Sachs, Serotta Legend or De Rosa steel- I wouldn't even consider chopping.

carpediemracing
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
A good friend of mine had two, ahem, Kelloggs made by Merlin. He got the first one, a standard frame, liked it so much decided to get the Extralight. He got the EL with S&S couplers.

Ends up that the EL with couplers was stiffer than his standard, and I think (I don't remember) it was either the same weight or lighter. He also liked the way the EL rode. Therefore he raced and rode his coupler bike. The standard became his spare bike.

S&S can only be retrofitted to a steel, ti, or certain carbon frames. I'd want to get a Zinn type travel frame, probably in Ti, but I think the cost wouldn't pan out. My main frames are very inexpensive $750 custom aluminum frames and that's about what I'm worthy of on the bike.

I really liked Zinn's bike though - even though he's really tall it looks like it'd be very straightforward to break down his bike - he has 4 couplers on his frame and one on his stem. No adjustments, I'm guessing, and very quick. I'm sure the frame is very responsive too since the couplers are stiffer than the tubing. A picture I took of his bike:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OIrCYr_OP7k/Tm7usGu8reI/AAAAAAAADlQ/ltsbZ6pVpmE/s1600/2011-09-12_09-46-36_987.jpg

deanster
12-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Also-- your travel frame is surely going to get abused by the airlines and baggage screeners when they open the case and close it carelessly.

Be very happy if the damage is limited to scratched paint and don't bring your

I have travelled to Europe twice and several times domestically with a Ritchey Breakaway Cross in a softside bag. Haven't had any problems including overcharges because:
1) I allow a line to form before I get to the checkin so the handlers are in a hurry.
2) keep the bag Wt atleast 5 lbs below the limit.
3) Pass the bag across the scale at the last minute when the checkin person is ready to place the ID strap on the bag.
4) Don't volunteer what is in the bag: I usually say instruments or a wheel chair for my wife.
Never been charged yet and no damage to the bike.

And YES I would put couplers on my favorite bike to be able to ride it where ever I travel. The SS couplers allow the bike to fit into a smaller bag.

Louis
12-19-2012, 02:42 AM
4) Don't volunteer what is in the bag: I usually say instruments or a wheel chair for my wife. Never been charged yet and no damage to the bike.

What do they say if they open it and find that it's not what you said it was?

Nags&Ducs
12-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Regarding Zinn's bike, I find it utterly useless that there is coupler on the stem. Was it because it is too much of hassle to re-set the hbars at the correct angle? I'm just dumbfounded.

biker72
12-19-2012, 03:10 PM
No. I have no reason to.
Any of my bikes will fit inside my Honda CR-V even with the front wheel on.

Kirk007
12-19-2012, 03:10 PM

If asked, and I haven't been I would say exercise equipment.

MattTuck
12-19-2012, 03:13 PM

That you're in a post-modern reclaimed instrument band, and you play the bicycle in a variety of ways, including blowing in the tubes like a flute, hanging the tubes like a percussionist, and putting a card on a chain stay for cool spoke noises.

Alternatively, you could say "it's a tool" when asked what's in the bag. And then if confronted you could explain it bring you no more joy than a hammer or screw driver, just a tool to transport you around. There's a handy body of literature to back this debate up. I can see it now, you get charged, sue them, it gets appealed, and goes to the supreme court to decide if a bicycle is 'just a tool'....

Regarding Zinn's bike, I find it utterly useless that there is coupler on the stem. Was it because it is too much of hassle to re-set the hbars at the correct angle? I'm just dumbfounded.

I think it is more likely that he just wanted to put as many couplers on as possible. There are already two a piece on the top tube and down tube. Maybe he got a volume discount.

Bob Ross
12-19-2012, 03:32 PM

When you're trying to build the bike in the airport parking lot and the bus to the hotel is leaving in 5 minutes, every little bit helps.

zap
12-19-2012, 03:35 PM
favorite frame....absolutely not.

Do I want a travel single.....yes and have an eye on one........

Bob Ross
12-19-2012, 03:41 PM
That you're in a post-modern reclaimed instrument band, and you play the bicycle in a variety of ways, including blowing in the tubes like a flute, hanging the tubes like a percussionist, and putting a card on a chain stay for cool spoke noises.

I am definitely gonna try that next time someone asks! I'll even perform for them if they find that explanation implausible.

Actually, the one time I did get asked I said "Bicycle parts" and that seemed to satisfy them.

William
12-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Bikes and coupling just go together.;)

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0045/8632/files/eEAcD_grande.jpg?100925

William

MattTuck
12-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I am definitely gonna try that next time someone asks! I'll even perform for them if they find that explanation implausible.

Actually, the one time I did get asked I said "Bicycle parts" and that seemed to satisfy them.

I feel like there's a joke in here somewhere about a monkey 'performing' maintenance on a bike... blowing in the tubes, banging on them... not that far from what I currently do.

Reminds me of that scene from Take the Money and Run.... Virgil get's a cello. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LQj0ufQRdY&feature=player_detailpage#t=162s)

dumbod
12-20-2012, 08:19 AM
I would absolutely NOT install couplers in my favorite frame. Four couplers are overkill on a single frame although it might make packing easier.

bocarider
12-20-2012, 11:16 AM
^

That's what I thought last year and got this last April:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=107951

I have travelled with it four times now and have really enjoyed it. In fact, I have been having such a good time riding it, I have not gone back to my Ottrott. Packing/assembly is still a bit of a challenge, but I am getting better at it each time. Having my bike at my travel destination and not lugging the big-ass TRICO case around is fantastic.

bluesea
12-20-2012, 02:32 PM
^ Yes, I was admiring your Vamoots CR a few days ago. :beer:

woolly
12-20-2012, 04:38 PM
My favorite frame - nope, not even if it had round tubes that could accept the couplers. Don's not building any more, so it can't exactly be replaced. Plus, things happen in packing, things happen in transit, things happen with TSA does their inspection.

I've traveled with an S&S bike before. Worked fine, but was more time-consuming & cumbersome than I'd prefer. In general, I'd go for a travel-specific bike, one that fits & rides well, but with an emphasis on both ease-of-packing/unpacking and durability. The market for used frames is buyer-friendly these days, and Bilenky doesn't charge an arm nor leg for the retrofit.

My main ride isn't a trailer-queen, but there's no sense in seeking out ways to bunge it all up.

coelacant
12-20-2012, 06:16 PM
If you suspect that your favorite frame has a tendency to flex a bit, or even vaguely 'planes', then putting S&S couplings would surely cure it. Guaranty to turn it into a 2x4 which is preferred by some.
I have had both the S&S and the Ritchey Breakaway' and the latter is a better choice. I speak from having testing both on the slopes of the French Alps, the Dolomite, the hills of the Milan San Remo course.
I also believe a little flex in my bike helps propel me uphills or hanging on to a fast group with less energy, the same way that a flexible arrow shaft flies farther, a flexible atlatle could pierce armor compared to a stiff one, a fish could swim faster with a flexible tail, not to mention sperms....
My current travel bike has the Ritchey system.:)

Kirk007
12-20-2012, 06:50 PM
If you suspect that your favorite frame has a tendency to flex a bit, or even vaguely 'planes', then putting S&S couplings would surely cure it. Guaranty to turn it into a 2x4 which is preferred by some.
I have had both the S&S and the Ritchey Breakaway' and the latter is a better choice. I speak from having testing both on the slopes of the French Alps, the Dolomite, the hills of the Milan San Remo course.
I also believe a little flex in my bike helps propel me uphills or hanging on to a fast group with less energy, the same way that a flexible arrow shaft flies farther, a flexible atlatle could pierce armor compared to a stiff one, a fish could swim faster with a flexible tail, not to mention sperms....
My current travel bike has the Ritchey system.:)

Have you had the breakaway awhile? When I was thinking about a travel bike a few mechanics at some shops well known to this forum were raising questions as the durability of the coupling system (they were relatively new to market at the time). For me S&S was a better choice 'cause I got a custom Kirk to fit rather than a make fit Ritchey.

rugbysecondrow
12-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Have you had the breakaway awhile? When I was thinking about a travel bike a few mechanics at some shops well known to this forum were raising questions as the durability of the coupling system (they were relatively new to market at the time). For me S&S was a better choice 'cause I got a custom Kirk to fit rather than a make fit Ritchey.

I have had both and I prefer the couplers for a number of reasons, mainly I think joining the two are easier for couplers. No loose pieces to contend with. Also, I think the contact points for the couplers are more durable.

I also did not like the Ritchey breakaway frames. Too many geometry compromises for me. I will also say that I am 6'2", 225, so what works or doesn't work for me might be different for others.

deanster
12-20-2012, 08:52 PM

Turn Red and say oops! That is why I wait for a line to form so the baggage handlers are trying to get people through the line, besides, it is not their job to go through peoples bags...that is why we have TSA (Thousands Standing Around) to check bags before loading...by then I am on my way to the bar.

Seriously, I never worry about it.

deanster
12-20-2012, 09:00 PM
I weigh 210 lbs and run my Ritchey Cross off road on some brutal trails and rutted roads with never a problem to the Ritchey coupling system. I ride a 56cm and the bike fits perfectly. I have heard a lot of myths about the system not being strong enough, frame flexing, etc and all without merit. If one doesn't like the fit or ride it is just like any other bike. I think at your height the bike is not big enough. I agree that couplers are a great option and I may yet put them on my Gunnar Crosshairs.

VA-Scooter
12-20-2012, 09:06 PM
No. I have no reason to.
Any of my bikes will fit inside my Honda CR-V even with the front wheel on.

I think couplers are mainly for trips involving airplanes.

goonster
12-20-2012, 09:30 PM
It looks weird at first glance, but having packed a large coupled bike, and a coupled tandem, it actually makes sense.

Having four couplers on the frame, means he probably can pack the fork and headtube as an assembly, i.e. he does not need to remove the stem and pull the fork. We can't see if the stem has a removable faceplate, but a coupled stem may actually be the easiest and cleanest way to remove the bars in this case.

Is this Lennard's personal bike? If so, I think this is very interesting. I love seeing the bikes that builders make for themselves, because they often incorporate features that customer's don't ask for, or that simply don't make any economic sense because you can't possibly charge for the hours they take to make.

Lennard Zinn has some unorthodox ideas, but he's a smart man who should not be dismissed casually.

rugbysecondrow
12-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I think couplers are mainly for trips involving airplanes.

If they are on your favorite bike, you travel with it much easier in many instances. After work trips where you don't want your bike sitting out all day, longer road trips...it just makes sense.

JLP
12-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Another vote in the whatever floats your boat category. I have a coupled Gunnar sport, and it rides as well as any bike I own.

Zinn is like 8 feet tall or something (you can google it ;-)) My 58 is a tight squeeze into an airline legal bag, so that just makes sense.

But one should not hesitate with couplings.

oldpotatoe
12-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Any thoughts on this option?

I have a MOOTS and the only thing that prevents me from S&Sing it is the time frame. Moots doesn't do it, Bilenky does but it takes like a year or something.

bluesea
12-21-2012, 08:46 AM
I have a MOOTS and the only thing that prevents me from S&Sing it is the time frame. Moots doesn't do it, Bilenky does but it takes like a year or something.

Ouch, that's a huge dampener.

Ray
12-21-2012, 09:14 AM

Wow, really? Bilenky had hacked a couple of my bikes and never took more than a couple of months, IIRC. I've been in there and seen a pretty good backlog of frames hanging in the queue, but not a year's worth? Wow...

I have two favorite bikes, one of them with couplers. They were done as part of the original frame, but they don't make it any less of a bike IMHO - just a few oz's heavier...

-Ray

559Rando
12-21-2012, 10:52 AM
This could cause problems as I don't own my favorite frame and my metalshop skills aren't up to snuff.

http://www.renehersebicycles.com/IMG_0036.JPG
Rene Herse (by Mark Nobilette) (http://www.renehersebicycles.com/Chrome%20Randonneur.htm)

I'd look for a purpose-built travel bike. Maybe a Dahon Tournado (if it fit me) or Velo Cult/Nobilette Demountable.

bambam
12-21-2012, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't because I would only take mine on a apart twice a year at most.
With airline fees/ ease of travel I would weigh the cost of coupling a bike versus the cost of regular bags vs. a bike bag and how huch of a help it would be. If that cost can be recovered fairly quickly I would consider it.

Right no its not worth it to me. And like some others have said certain bike I would not even consider. Opininons vary on which bikes those would be.

I would consider buying a coupled bike if it was logical.
BamBam

coelacant
12-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Actually, I have a custom bike made with the Ritchey breakaway couplings. It is an option with a number of frame makers, the cost is very reasonable compares to the S&S. I've never seen it as a retrofitting option but I don't see why it can't be done, all it takes is someone resourceful and willing- more work.

The problem I had with the S&S was that it tends to loosen, especially the down tube coupling, always on days when I forgot to bring the wrench, which is not exactly light, would have been more justified to having to carry it all the time if it had a bottle opener at the dumb end..:)

The Ritchey Breakaway is such a bargain as a package, if the stock geometry works for you. Some people have had problem with worn out downtube clamp since it's very easy to over torque it. On the other hand, replacements are cheap to keep a spare in the travel case and invest in a torque key.

Kirk007
12-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Actually, I have a custom bike made with the Ritchey breakaway couplings. It is an option with a number of frame makers, the cost is very reasonable compares to the S&S. I've never seen it as a retrofitting option but I don't see why it can't be done, all it takes is someone resourceful and willing- more work.

The problem I had with the S&S was that it tends to loosen, especially the down tube coupling, always on days when I forgot to bring the wrench, which is not exactly light, would have been more justified to having to carry it all the time if it had a bottle opener at the dumb end..:)

The Ritchey Breakaway is such a bargain as a package, if the stock geometry works for you. Some people have had problem with worn out downtube clamp since it's very easy to over torque it. On the other hand, replacements are cheap to keep a spare in the travel case and invest in a torque key.

Thanks, good to know how- didn't know about the replacement clamp. I try to remember and check the tightness of the couplers as one of my pre-ride rituals -yes it would be a rather large addition to the seat bag!

Ray
12-22-2012, 03:49 AM
I have never had that happen - never had an S&S coupler loosen on me during a ride. I just torque 'em down every several rides (and I can rarely budge 'em so they're not really loosening even over time) and they've always stayed solid. The other thing is even if they were to loosen a couple of full turns (which would be a LOT), it wouldn't compromise the structure of the frame. The way they're designed its kind of an all or nothing proposition - the two pieces of the frame can't begin to separate until the threads are almost completely disengaged. So even if it did severely loosen on a ride, you could just periodically hand tighten it and you'd be fine until you got back to where you had a wrench.

Nothing like Italian bottom brackets. When those loosen on a ride, its a constant hassle trying to keep it all together. I had one on a steel bike once and I could not keep that thing torqued down enough to stay put. Pain in the butt. The design of S&S coupler's is a lot smarter than that...

-Ray

DRZRM
12-22-2012, 06:50 AM
My IF was back in hand in under two weeks from Bilenky. You hold your place with a deposit,but you don't have to send your frame until they are ready to dothe work.

oldpotatoe
12-22-2012, 06:54 AM
My IF was back in hand in under two weeks from Bilenky.

Talked to a few who said it took a long time. The Bilenky website does say a matter of weeks if no [aint involved.

JAWN
01-09-2013, 03:45 PM
I've been contemplating cutting my Kelly Knobby X for a while now. The paint is not perfect but it is my favorite bike. I travel a handful of times to see family and for conferences. It would be great to be able to bring a CX bike along and get in more rides while on the road. I'm still torn on the idea of doing it though. Mainly because the ideal S&S bike for me would have rack mounts and disc brakes which this frame does not have. Decisions decisions.

William
01-09-2013, 03:49 PM
I would let Steve Potts do it.

Starting at post#26.:cool:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=121833&page=2

William

JAWN
01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
woah, that is some insanely clean work!