PDA

View Full Version : Need some MTB buying help

Mr Cabletwitch
12-18-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm a 50/50 rider. 50% road 50% mountain. After a trip to GA last weekend my faithful Niner MCR is totaled thanks to a decorative overhang at a mall. It was a really nice build with either XT or Sram X0 parts throughout so the replacement cost of the bike is around $4500. With that budget in mind I need to pick up a new bike. I loved the quick handling of the bike and it super fast nature, but I'm thinking that being given the opportunity I might pick up a full suspension 29er. If I don't go as high end on the parts or buy a off the shelf bike like a trek or specialized I should able to stay in budget of around $4000 since my deductible is $500.

Any body have any suggestions for a quick handling full suspension 29er. I'm thinking around 100mm of travel.

TomP
12-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I've had several 29'ers. FWIW, my favorite is the Pivot 429. The Giant Anthem 29'er was very nice, but slightly sluggish in fast turns. The Lenz was very nice. The Santa Cruz TallBoy I just didn't care for, too squishy and unresponsive for my tastes. My wife rides a GAry Fisher HiFi. Nice bike, but she tipped over and cracked a carbon seat stay. They would not warranty it, so I won't buy Trek again.

Kirk Pacenti
12-18-2012, 10:03 AM
pm sent

BryanE
12-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Specialized Epic Expert

Dave B
12-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I bought Jack's Intense Spirder 29er back int he day and it was an absolute blast. Fast, handles amazingly well and super plush when it needed to be.

I would have loved to put a Lefty fork on it, but it did have a RS Reba Race.

So much fun on that bike. One of the few I had to sell instead of wanted to. Look at one of those if you like to just blast around.

gdw
12-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Add the Santa Cruz Superlight 29er to your list. You can easily build one up with a complete XT build kit, custom wheels, and stay under your $4000 budget.

Mr Cabletwitch
12-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Add the Santa Cruz Superlight 29er to your list. You can easily build one up with a complete XT build kit, custom wheels, and stay under your $4000 budget.

That bike is on my list actually I figure it will still be light and with the shock locked out should pedal well. I actually just called a local bike shop and they have a tallboy AL for well under 3k, but its mostly a SLX build kit.

I'd like to demo a superlight 29er but nobody has one.

gdw
12-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Does Speedgoat have a retail store? I haven't ridden the 29 inch version yet but have a friend who loves his. He transitioned from a 26 inch model and is sold on the bigger wheels.

pcxmbfj
12-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Have no idea of what size bike you ride but unless you would ride a L or XL mtb bike I would not limit my search to 29er only but would include 27.5 bikes also.

At 6'2" 29er quickly displaced the 26" mtbike for me and the geometry for the big sizes are good to great at your price point.

If you are a smaller rider you may be better served by a 26" or the 27.5" that offers some of the advantages of both sizes.

Mr Cabletwitch
12-18-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm not tall, pretty average 5'9" but with long legs and a short torso.

Here is a list of what I've had recently and why I didn't like it.

Santa Cruz Blur LT, VPP1 suspension and bobbed like crazy in the little ring

Soma Juice 29er: felt too small but rode pretty nice

Salsa Dos Niner: Drove like a truck

Jamis Dakar XCR expert: rode really nice but the wheels just seemed too small, suspension was inefficient unless I used pro pedal.

Niner MCR: liked it a lot but as I get older I think some cush would be nice.

I would love to go with a 650B but can't seem to find much in the XC full suspension catagory with 100-120mm of travel.

Dave B
12-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Contact Tim O'Donnell at Shamrockcycles for 650B full susser.

http://www.lugoftheirish.com/Shamrock_Cycles/See_the_frames/Pages/650B_Full_Suspension.html

he makes amazing bikes and it an even better guy!

A1CKot
12-18-2012, 02:58 PM
If you want something a little different and custom, give Waltworks a look. $2300 for a frame and shock with what ever ride characteristics you want and great service. Complete might put you a little over your budget but it will be a cool bike.

He built me a single speed ridged and it has been perfect. Because of him my road bikes were neglected all summer:).
http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2006/10/intro-post.html

vqdriver
12-19-2012, 12:34 PM
some nice deals at cc
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/sc/santa-cruz-frame-sale.2284.html?VIEW_ALL=TRUE&cmp_id=EM_SAL15228a1

Mr Cabletwitch
12-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, but after driving around to a bunch of local LBSs and finding that none of them had any high end stuff I searched online and found a Niner Jet9 SID combo from jenson usa and will be building that. I demoed one this summer and liked it, not enough to give up the hardtail at the time, but I figure its better to go with something I know I liked than just order some bike from a bike shop I can't try. This bike should still give me the racy feel I had on my hardtail but with a bit of cush.

I'll still get to use a few parts from the old bike.

beungood
12-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I ride like you, I found a 2008 Specialized FSR Stumpjumper 29 Expert and it climbs like a goat. Ive reigned down alot off abuse and it has taken it all and keeps giving a good ride..$400 for frame,$250 for Marz fork,$950 for SLX Drive train ,seat,and bits..

fourflys
12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I have a Superlight 26" and like the way it rides, I imagine the 29er would be just as good...

if I was looking at something in your budget, I really think I'd have to look hard at Giant... their bikes are so nicely spec'd for the money and I've heard the Maestro suspension is really nice to ride...

fourflys
12-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, but after driving around to a bunch of local LBSs and finding that none of them had any high end stuff I searched online and found a Niner Jet9 SID combo from jenson usa and will be building that. I demoed one this summer and liked it, not enough to give up the hardtail at the time, but I figure its better to go with something I know I liked than just order some bike from a bike shop I can't try. This bike should still give me the racy feel I had on my hardtail but with a bit of cush.

sorry, missed this post earlier... sounds like a good deal...

COYO1
12-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Sweet! enjoy the jet. Glad to see you sticking with the same mfg. I ride a RIP and love it. Road biking for me is what I do to stay fit for MTB season ;)

efuentes
12-27-2012, 03:42 PM
If you are into custom stuff and dead set on suspension I would get a Titus RacerX rear end from eBay and had somebody built a custom front end for it, you would end up with a bike built around you and a very good rear suspension design, might as well send the shock and fork to Push to complete the package. :cool: Slap some not-top shelf parts for now and it could be done for 4k