PDA

View Full Version : New guy, First post, and a few pics

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 05:27 PM
I've been lurking over here for a while, but gomango finally gave me some motivation to join.

So far I have been quite pleased with the number of Campagnolo equipped metal frames I have seen around. Anyway, enough talk. Here are a few of my current builds:

Tommasini tecno (century/ nice day ride)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/house/EC5100BC-32E0-48ED-BFCD-4AB6281C1973-125-00000002CF457A5F.jpg
Record titanium 8spd ergos converted to 10spd (by me)
C-record crank arms wearing 10spd rings
Monoplanar brakes
(Wheels are from a different build, this one will get NOS silver 28h hubs and Campagnolo Seoul rims)

Yokota legend (indoor trainer/fun bike)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/yokota-%20ofmega/100_1035.jpg
Ofmega mistral group
Modolo brake levers
Dia compe radius brakes
Easton fork
Cinelli spinachis
Giant ext wheels (from original tcr)

My everyday bike is in progress. It will be a frame that predates me but is built with record 10spd, ultra torque cranks, and the eurus wheels off the tecno.

Puget Pounder
12-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Convert from BF, stone him!

:)

Fishbike
12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Hey there --- Welcome! Thanks for posting and sharing some serious steel. That Tecnos is stunning -- and a great build. And that Yokota is delightfuly quirky. Can you tell us more about it and the build? Yup, Campy and metal are well-represented here. . . .and in my basement.

cash05458
12-17-2012, 05:43 PM
digging the monoplanar brakes...have a set myself...styling but dangerous! welcome...I am new here as well...great bunch of people...

AngryScientist
12-17-2012, 06:21 PM
a familiar user name to me.

welcome to the saner side of the internet. nice rides.

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Convert from BF, stone him!

:)

Easy now.

Hey there --- Welcome! Thanks for posting and sharing some serious steel. That Tecnos is stunning -- and a great build. And that Yokota is delightfuly quirky. Can you tell us more about it and the build? Yup, Campy and metal are well-represented here. . . .and in my basement.

Thanks for the complements.

The yokota was originally purchased by my father in about 1989 or so (I'm too young to firmly remember) it wasnt anything overly special, tange 1000db tubing and rx100 components but was his first real road bike. Over the years it eventually was upgraded to 8spd chorus and I adopted it a few years after I could reasonably ride it. Eventually, it was parted and the frame sat it a box. A few years ago I dug it back out and built it as you see now (with all the plastic parts I could find)

Ofmega mistral rd
Ofmega mistral fd
Ofmega mistral crankset
Ofmega mistral shifters
Modolo levers
Dia compe radius brakes
Chorus headset
Ec90sl fork (came with tecno)
Kelly stem
Gaint ext wheels

digging the monoplanar brakes...have a set myself...styling but dangerous! welcome...I am new here as well...great bunch of people...

They are actually the very late monoplanars from the 90s. They are branded veloce, but are finished well and were NOS when mounted. I picked them because they looked right on the build and featured the modern cartridge pads. Brake performance is more than enough and they have never let me down. The dia compes on the yokota are another story. They are very light and so is their clamping power.

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Here is a pic of the brakes as campy sold them. The earlier monoplanars won't fit a modern campy pad holder without modification:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/tommasini/2012-04-03183714.jpg

a familiar user name to me.

welcome to the saner side of the internet. nice rides.

Thanks. It seems that way.

gomango
12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Welcome.

Hah, it's about time Mr. Campy!

You'll have lots of bicycles to share here, won"t you. :)

PS I am dropping a box at the post for you tonight.

Bottom bracket arrived, among other goodies.

CSBArizona
12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Whoa- Are those standard Campagnolo 10 speed rings on that C Record crankset? Do they fit without modification?

My wife has a C-Record crank on her bike with some well worn rings- I'd like to rebuild the bike for Campy 10, but it sure would be nice to keep that beautiful C Record crank on the bike . . .

Thanks,
Chris

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Welcome.

Hah, it's about time Mr. Campy!

You'll have lots of bicycles to share here, won"t you. :)

PS I am dropping a box at the post for you tonight.

Bottom bracket arrived, among other goodies.

Hopefully :)

Whoa- Are those standard Campagnolo 10 speed rings on that C Record crankset? Do they fit without modification?

My wife has a C-Record crank on her bike with some well worn rings- I'd like to rebuild the bike for Campy 10, but it sure would be nice to keep that beautiful C Record crank on the bike . . .

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, they are OEM rings. Modification is very minor

The hidden arm on c-record cranks used a nut that was set onto the large ring and the new ring won't have this. You have two options:

#1 remove the nut and press it into the new ring. I didn't measure, but I assume it would require enlarging the hole.

#2 (what I did) slide a standard chairing nut in behind the crank arm and use friction to hold it while you tighten the bolt from the back side. I had no problem getting it to proper torque.

NOTE: option #2 may require a new chainring bolt. My alloy c record bolt was not fully threaded and didn't snug up all the way. A steel bolt from a later 10spd crankset will suffice.

In addition, the hidden arm can create one other issue. My chain rings were 5 arm chorus spec rings. This caused the pin to not line up with the crank arm. I just carefully removed it by drilling out the rivet. As long as your FD is set up properly it shouldn't cause an issue. The other option is finding rings for a hidden arm crankset.

The end result is a c record crankset that shifts every bit as good as Campagnolo intended.

BumbleBeeDave
12-17-2012, 07:12 PM
. . .and Man, those brakes are works of art! Very art deco looking . . .

BBD

MattTuck
12-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Welcome to flavor country

Where do you live/ride? What types of rides do you like?

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Welcome to flavor country

Where do you live/ride? What types of rides do you like?

I am in central Iowa.

In the summer I try and get out 3-4 weeknights for quick rides and then try and take a longer and slower solo ride on Saturday morning. In the winter i try and get on the trainer but I often end up doing component modification, aluminum polishing, or trying something new mechanically. This year I am assembling a tommasini for gomango :)

MattTuck
12-17-2012, 07:33 PM
I am in central Iowa.

In the summer I try and get out 3-4 weeknights for quick rides and then try and take a longer and slower solo ride on Saturday morning. In the winter i try and get on the trainer but I often end up doing component modification, aluminum polishing, or trying something new mechanically. This year I am assembling a tommasini for gomango :)

Good stuff! Welcome to the forum. I've been to the highest point in Iowa, when I was driving across the U.S. Lots of corn.

Still, it looked like nice country to ride in. Not sure if Central Iowa is the same, but the Northern part seemed mostly flat with some nice rollers. Hillier, actually, than I expected.

Liv2RideHard
12-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Welcome. Nice Tommasini. I love my Tecno. An amazing bike. I had the chance to meet Irio a few years ago at the factory when I was getting my Tecno. If you haven't been to the factory, you must make the trip over. Here is a linky to my build. Enjoy the forum. Lots of good folk here.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=118729

gomango
12-17-2012, 07:45 PM
I am in central Iowa.

Yeah, I am going through Hades looking for 36 hole gray Centaur hubs so I can build the wheels.

Found a rear, but a front 36 hole is proving elusive.

67-59
12-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Beautiful Tommasini, and welcome from another rider of steel (Kirk) with Campy (Record 10). Time for the official welcome banana.:banana:

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Welcome. Nice Tommasini. I love my Tecno. An amazing bike. I had the chance to meet Irio a few years ago at the factory when I was getting my Tecno. If you haven't been to the factory, you must make the trip over. Here is a linky to my build. Enjoy the forum. Lots of good folk here.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=118729

Wow, that may be one of the nicest tommasini builds I've seen. The brown accents and nemisis rims were a great way to round it out. You nearly have me envious. How do you like the cages? I regret getting the elite inox cages over those.

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I am going through Hades looking for 36 hole gray Centaur hubs so I can build the wheels.

Found a rear, but a front 36 hole is proving elusive.

I wish I had the funds to buy the 32h hubs from you. I think you can get a23 rims in the same color. It would be a great daily set :)

Beautiful Tommasini, and welcome from another rider of steel (Kirk) with Campy (Record 10). Time for the official welcome banana.:banana:

Mmm Kirks are hot.

Liv2RideHard
12-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Wow, that may be one of the nicest tommasini builds I've seen. The brown accents and nemisis rims were a great way to round it out. You nearly have me envious. How do you like the cages? I regret getting the elite inox cages over those.

Thanks man. I love the cages from an aesthetics standpoint but they also work really nicely. The build took me forever but it came together nicely. The Nemesis rims, Veloflex Roubaix's and Record hubs are blissful. One of my all time favorite handbuilts. Thanks again man.

gomango
12-17-2012, 08:18 PM

I'd love to see your Kirk sometime.

We live in St. Paul. My favorite shops are Angry Catfish and Grand Performance. We'll have to get together next time Casey visits from Iowa

Casey, are you visiting for the holiday season?

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 08:24 PM

We live in St. Paul. My favorite shops are Angry Catfish and Grand Performance. We'll have to get together next time Casey visits from Iowa

Doubtful,

I think I am going to take the week to relax and assemble a few more bikes :)

67-59
12-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Sounds like a plan. I'm down in Rochester, and Angry Catfish is my favorite hangout in the cities. Cool bikes and great coffee.

gomango
12-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'm down in Rochester, and Angry Catfish is my favorite hangout in the cities. Cool bikes and great coffee.

Agreed!

I am starting to ride gravel near Lanesboro and Spring Valley as often as I can.

Not so far from Rochester.

Just bought a Salsa Fargo at AC from Michael last week.

Great staff at both of the shops I mentioned though.

FWIW A Kirk is on my list. I actually have a jar set up to save for one. :)

I'm about half way there. :)

martinrjensen
12-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Very Nice! I didn't know you could convert the pointy hoods to 10 spd either. I did the round top hood version. My pointy hoods stayed 9 spd.

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Very Nice! I didn't know you could convert the pointy hoods to 10 spd either. I did the round top hood version. My pointy hoods stayed 9 spd.

Jan and Mario both rode pointy levers that were converted. They opted to use the carbon brake blades but that requires more modification and obviously wasn't the look I was going for. Just converting them to 10 does require a mix of parts and some modification.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/bike-random/Lance_Armstrong__Jan_Ullrich.jpg

CSBArizona
12-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the guidance on the rings- I have some extra 10 speed Record rings that I could use-

Alloy 10 speed cranks look great to me as well, but there is something about C-Record cranks-- they have to be one of my favorite single Campagnolo components of all time.

thirdgenbird
12-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the guidance on the rings- I have some extra 10 speed Record rings that I could use-

Alloy 10 speed cranks look great to me as well, but there is something about C-Record cranks-- they have to be one of my favorite single Campagnolo components of all time.

I had a pair or 10spd cranks avalible but opted to go with the c-records for vanity sake. I wanted to keep the bike period looking but with 10spd. It should look more convincing with the silver standard spoked wheelset.

oldpotatoe
12-18-2012, 07:56 AM

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, of course, I have '10s' rings on my C Record crank 135mm BCD. It's just a normal chainring 'bolt' with a track 'nut'. You can counter sink the hole a wee bit or just shove it in, hold it tight with a screw driver and tighten.