PDA

View Full Version : Remove decals from ENVE fork

Mikej
12-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Anybody have any tips?

avalonracing
12-17-2012, 08:28 AM
I don't blame you for wanting to do it. The Enve logo looks like a bad "tribal" tattoo design.

nicrump
12-17-2012, 08:32 AM
they are under clear coat and usually another very thin tinted clear underneath. when you sand them off you will likely be left with bare or splotchy spots. if it is really important then send to a painter to full stripping and re-coat.

if you wanna go cheaply then download the the enve vector graphics and have a local vinyl sign shop make a black decal to plop on top of the white. if you prep the fork well, it will stick long time.

eddief
12-17-2012, 08:48 AM
or at least more understated would be appreciated by many. Not saying their honking logo does not look good on some bikes, but that one more quieter option would be nice...as would a gloss finish.

DRietz
12-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Just do what I did and strip the whole fork. Only took me a couple hours.

Mikej
12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
they are under clear coat and usually another very thin tinted clear underneath. when you sand them off you will likely be left with bare or splotchy spots. if it is really important then send to a painter to full stripping and re-coat.

if you wanna go cheaply then download the the enve vector graphics and have a local vinyl sign shop make a black decal to plop on top of the white. if you prep the fork well, it will stick long time.

Thats what I was afraid of. Guess I'll live with it.

avalonracing
12-17-2012, 02:48 PM
There is always a Sharpie™ marker.
Chain grease perhaps?

bluesea
12-17-2012, 02:52 PM
The current Enve fork logo is completely hideous.

ultraman6970
12-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Sand it with 1500 wet sand paper, be carefull ok? just do it little by little, then once is gone you have to polish it badk using car paint polish compound. Done.

TimD
12-17-2012, 03:57 PM
ENVE, despite otherwise going to considerable length to differentiate their products, are simply following a well-established trend among equipment manufacturers.

This isn't to say I like it - I don't, not in the least. Trek, Reynolds, SRAM - their logos are all horrible and do nothing to improve the visual appeal of the component or the host bike.

ATMO.

tiretrax
12-17-2012, 04:13 PM
I passed on Look bikes for this very reason. There were over 20 logos on the bike, stem, fork, inside, outside, every-fricking-where.

avalonracing
12-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Okay, I propose we create the "Society Against Dumbly Designed Logos"
"SADDL" and we together call out all manufacturers who put crappy logos on their products. We will boycott them and make fun of the riders who buy them until the manufacturer relents and runs new logo designs past our board for approval before putting them on bikes and expensive components.

Unacceptable logos include:
Enve
DeSalvo (newer script logo is okay)
Surly
Bedford
Independent Fab (newer script is also okay)
Della Santa

And the list goes on...

eddief
12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
guess they tried smaller and that did not work out for some reason. They have considered some sort of black on black design, but that won't happen in 2013.

Black Dog
12-17-2012, 05:44 PM
How about manufacturers charge less for any product with a massive or massive amount of logos. It seems the the buyer is doing some free advertising for the manufacturer and should be compensated. Those that want a bike and not a billboard could pay a bit more. :rolleyes:

Peter P.
12-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Can't these carbon forks just be painted over without all the sanding of the logos drama, or does it leave a ghost impression in the paint?

I figure just scuff the surface of the fork with fine sandpaper, prime, paint, clear, and be done with it. I've had excellent results painting waterbottle cages with rattle cans so I see no reason why a fork can't be done.

Educate me.

vqdriver
12-17-2012, 06:49 PM
i was secretly hoping they'd put their logo on the inside of the fork legs. i've seen that on a couple custom jobs and i actually like that look.

DRietz
12-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Can't these carbon forks just be painted over without all the sanding of the logos drama, or does it leave a ghost impression in the paint?

I figure just scuff the surface of the fork with fine sandpaper, prime, paint, clear, and be done with it. I've had excellent results painting waterbottle cages with rattle cans so I see no reason why a fork can't be done.

Educate me.

Your method is totally doable. The fork that I stripped came to me as it appears in this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1055001

I promptly received the fork and began sanding. There was a clear coat, the blue top coat, a grey primer coat, and then the regular clear coat of the fork, which had not been sanded enough to reach the lettering.

I sanded through the clear coat on the fork as well as the "gel coat" underneath.

This is my fork now:

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/7219/img1782g.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm reading more reviews about 2013 stuff that mention decals are under the clear coat. They are trying to force customers to pimp for them and that really rubs me the wrong way.

One of the reasons I am seriously considering some Boyd carbon clinchers as a New Year's gift to myself is that they offer the "ghosted" decal option. ZIPP logos in particular are hideous . . .

BBD

Black Dog
12-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Your method is totally doable. The fork that I stripped came to me as it appears in this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1055001

I promptly received the fork and began sanding. There was a clear coat, the blue top coat, a grey primer coat, and then the regular clear coat of the fork, which had not been sanded enough to reach the lettering.

I sanded through the clear coat on the fork as well as the "gel coat" underneath.

This is my fork now:

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/7219/img1782g.jpg

Nice ride, but I am not sure that replacing a drive side chain stay with the handle end of a golf club is safe! :eek:

DRietz
12-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Nice ride, but I am not sure that replacing a drive side chain stay with the handle end of a golf club is safe! :eek:

Everybody rips on me for using a tube to protect the chain stay from chain slap. Oh well... ;)

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2009/3/20/128820569596346420.jpg

Black Dog
12-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Everybody rips on me for using a tube to protect the chain stay from chain slap. Oh well... ;)

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2009/3/20/128820569596346420.jpg

No harm meant! I really do like the bike...I just could not :help: myself.

DRietz
12-17-2012, 08:56 PM
No harm meant! I really do like the bike...I just could not :help: myself.

Nah, it's cool. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing thing in the world but it gets the job done.

Maybe after I stripped all the logos off it I should've just put "Titleist" all over the bike.