PDA

View Full Version : OT - hitch ski rack?

thenewguy11
12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Any recommendations for a hitch ski rack? I have the 1up hitch bike rack which is frankly amazing and I'd like something as simple to use and as secure if possible. Thanks.

Jnnybrns
12-17-2012, 07:57 AM
I know Thule does the 9033 Tram which converts their bike hitch to a ski hitch. Unsure if it's compatible with what you have. But, worth investigating maybe?

chuckred
12-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Any recommendations for a hitch ski rack? I have the 1up hitch bike rack which is frankly amazing and I'd like something as simple to use and as secure if possible. Thanks.
I think you're asking to have your skiis and bindings completely encased in ice, snow melt and road grime unless you have a rack you can keep the skiis in a bag. I went to a roof mounted rocket box to avoid that...

thenewguy11
12-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Our SUV doesn't have roof rails so a hitch is the only option at this point. Looks like I'll have to go with a Thule or Yakima bike hitch and then use some type of ski conversion.

alembical
12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I went with the Inno hitch rack. It is alright. I personally do not like the bike racks that convert to ski racks, at least as bike racks. I could get this just as a ski rack, save some money and space.

We use it on a pop top VW that has not rails on top. It works fine on this vehicle because it is lifted enough that clearance on the bottom is not an issue. The van is also high enough that the tips do not extend into the wind. Less than ideal, is that the skis are held broad sided into the wind, which does not matter to us with this vehicle, but would be an issue with most. I also think it does just a marginal job with telemark skis, cross country skis, and AT Skis with big binding plates. Normal alpine skis and snow boards are fine though.

just any other option.

http://www.innoracks.com/news/2011/11/new-innos-hitch-base-marks-epoch-convertible-functions.html

cp43
12-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Our SUV doesn't have roof rails so a hitch is the only option at this point. Looks like I'll have to go with a Thule or Yakima bike hitch and then use some type of ski conversion.

What kind of SUV is it? Can you get clip on roof bars from Yakima or Thule? Then you can do a roof box from either one. I'd agree with chuckred, a roof box will keep your skis cleaner. Plus, it's useful for extra space all year.

Putting skis in the box isn't nearly as bad as trying to wrestle a bike on to the roof. Unless your car is really tall, with the roof box, unlike roof bike racks, you won't have to worry about low overhangs.

Chris