PDA

View Full Version : Change to TRP 8.4's and WOW

jmeloy
12-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Had a set of Avid canti's on my Strong Dirt Road and just never happy with them. Squealed like a pig and front cable struck derailleur cables on tight turns, activating front brake (old post for advice last year). Got a set of. TRP mini-f's and left them on the bench for a long time.

Mounted them up this week and DAYUM! They are outstanding. Quiet as can be, tremendous stopping power (yeah you gotta learn not to grab a huge handful). No more inadvertent braking via cable issue. Made a great bike (Carl deserves more props than he gets.... Ride is as good as ay bike I own) even better.
Lesson learned.

monkeybanana86
12-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Good to know. I really don't like my shorty 4's. I feel like I'm not going to stop. Hopefully no bobcats ever jump out in front of me.

echelon_john
12-16-2012, 05:25 PM
I love my 8.4s. They're definitely an adjustment in terms of lever force--not much needed! My only wish is that the pads could sit a little further from the rim.

Vastly superior stopping power, though.

rice rocket
12-16-2012, 07:49 PM
I love my 8.4s. They're definitely an adjustment in terms of lever force--not much needed! My only wish is that the pads could sit a little further from the rim.

Vastly superior stopping power, though.

Get the Tektro 926ALs (80mm arms). Still tons of power, proportionally more pad clearance (still not a lot, but better for sure). And they're $10 to boot.

Steve in SLO
12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the land of the Mini-V.
I'm with Rice Rocket: at $20-$25 for a bikes worth including pads there isn't a better brake deal out there. I have run the 926ALs and RX-5s on my CX/allroad rigs and they work great. Mud clearance isn't really an issue either since I run Campy levers and can release them on the fly for more clearance.

rice rocket
12-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I've got these pads on there, which is almost too much power:

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222364330/172/Kool-Stop-Koolstop-Cross.html

I used the thicker spacers from my canti brakes to get the arms parallel, which helped power and stiffness greatly.

scrubadub
12-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Just put mine on too. They are a bit grabby but the power is much much better, plus no squealing or chatter so far. It would be nice to have a bit more modulation but I'm probably just spoiled by my dual pivots and Racers...

fogrider
12-17-2012, 01:14 AM
you guys just don't know how to adjust cantis!!! just kidding, mini Vs are the only way to go!