PDA

View Full Version : Getting bolt unscrewed from Phil Wood single speed hub

moose8
12-15-2012, 09:25 AM
I am having a tough time unscrewing a bolt from a phil wood single speed hub - I can get one side unscrewed, but the other just doesn't want to seem to budge. I don't want to scratch up the hub shell (if that's the right word) with vise grips if I could help it - other than just clamping with vise grips and using brute force, does anyone have a suggestion for how to get it unscrewed?

Thanks in advance

thegunner
12-15-2012, 09:28 AM
perhaps clamp it in a bench vice with a towel wrapping it?

another stupid trick i've found works is to wrap an insane amount of rubber bands around the tight bolt and to use a vice on that. if you're careful, there's really no threat to the shell

cp43
12-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Maybe a strap wrench, with a towel under it? Something like one of these:

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/692844/6928448338391lg.jpg

Chris

markie
12-15-2012, 10:25 AM
I've never had that problem... (Are you sure you are lefty loosey):)

Can it go back into a frame? Then you can tighten the one good side up. That should make it easier to get some leverage on the other side.

cachagua
12-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Second on Markie's trick. You should be able to tighten the other side as much as you need to and still get it loose again, because the dropout's there acting like a washer.

moose8
12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
So I used a modified version of Markie's suggestion and it totally did the trick - thank you. I couldn't fit it in the dropouts but as I was trying I realized I could fit it on the outside of the dropouts and it worked.

cachagua
12-15-2012, 05:10 PM
That's thinking outside the box! No law sayin' the hub's got to be *between* the dropouts...

Congratulations. Hope if I ever need this trick, I can remember it...