PDA

View Full Version : mass produced

Dr. Doofus
10-24-2005, 08:02 PM
would you buy handmade if mass produced gave you what you wanted?

your doof agrees with vax that 98% of us don't need custom geos (what a lot of need is a traditional sport-touring geo) so if you could get what worked (like all you cats who should be on Bleriots) made to up-to-snuff specs...how many of us snobs would buy it? and how many of us are just bike snobs?

say doof fooled somebody to give him a wad of cash, paid a maker-of-real-bikes to do the numbers and build specs, and then got the jerk to get em brazed by nice asian dudes and sold em for 800 bucks...how many of you would buy a j+j (jerk and jew...ok, so the name would need work and I never took advantage of the maternal ticket into the club...so what...)?

why do I post dumbass speculative crap like this...anyway...

Argos
10-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Am I supposaed to get offended at the "...and Jew" part? Are you using it as a noun, or the more offensive Verb Version. I will have to go on and on about how most of the "Jew-ing" in this world is done by non-chosen people.

I don't get my back up about a lot of things, but I'd love to give you a chance BEFORE you go on my $hit List.

Jason, Jew.

loctite
10-24-2005, 08:12 PM
was refering to the more "afordable price" of a mass produced Asain frame. No offence here. My 2.5 cents.. dosent matter where or how its produced, its the design and QC that make the end result, Asains make GREAT bikes, when they are ordered that way!

You post useless crap like this because you are addicted. Join a forum suupport group :p

BumbleBeeDave
10-24-2005, 08:12 PM
. . . the Doof-erator has done this before, and while he may not have chosen his words well, he means no racist harm.

I am not familiar with the term he is using, but I can think of little other etymology except the perjorative.

Getting back to his original question, I think I would indeed buy a stock sized as a second bike, partly because I now have a much better idea of how to fit myself, and also for economics. I’d love a full carbon to add to my stable with my Legend, but there is no hope of me getting a Meivici. One of the cheaper Taiwanese-made full carbons would do well. Giant makes some great ones, from what I’ve heard.

Now, Doof, say you’re sorry before this one spirals out of control . . .

BBD

Dr. Doofus
10-24-2005, 08:13 PM
noun, alliterative...let it suffice to say when given the choice I never picked a team (dad's or mom's) for spiritual reasons but would choose one for marketing purposes...in this part of the us of a doof could probably make enough money to get a real bike if he opened a chain of drive-in shooting range/fried chicken/evangelical chapel-type feel good places...and he'd cynically have his picture plastered all-PTL-like* in the ads...

but back to the questions....

*the ol heritage usa is a short ride from here...which suggests the question...how much beer would it take to make tammy faye hot???

Ginger
10-24-2005, 08:17 PM
"ok, so the name would need work and I never took advantage of the maternal ticket into the club"

BAD DOOF.

Other than that the only stock frames that I've ridden comfortably have looked really dorky because my seatpost was a foot long. On a compact, it would be 2' long...

I really really tried riding stock frames. Cheap would even be better.

Ray
10-24-2005, 08:22 PM
(jerk and jew...ok, so the name would need work and I never took advantage of the maternal ticket into the club...so what...)?
Don't matter. The way the Jew thing works is that if you have the maternal ticket, you're technically in, even if you don't use it. So, as a non-practicing MOT, you're pretty much allowed to say whatever you want (even a self-loathing Jew, like THAT would be new) :D

Back to the original question - I'd buy mass-produced if I was sure it was the right geo. I went custom to see how much more was possible than what I'd already experienced. I found out a lot more was possible and don't regret it for a second. But if I just used the fitter/designer to establish the spec I needed and found it in an off-the-shelf frame, I'd be happy to buy the off-the-shelf.

-Ray

manet
10-24-2005, 08:24 PM
mass produced?

www.hottubes.com

Fixed
10-24-2005, 08:24 PM
bro you cats are more sensitive than me, bro if it had the jerk and the doc in it that would be cool with me.cheers

Dr. Doofus
10-24-2005, 08:32 PM
yeah fixed but you and I are cheap dudes who buy what works (and at least I freak out when I start actually spending real money and start thinking too much)

hey, and after the trust has built up and we all love each other doof usually slips this one-liner in:

"how do you know I'm not black? I might just be really ashy...."

they love that one (cause they know at that point dr. doof ain't entirely right)

is it just doof, or has the retail range just shrunk in the last twenty years...remember walking into Vitesse Cycle in '81 and seein racin bikes, tourin bikes, sport-tourin bikes...good stuff for all needs...now you got yer racin bikes and yer dumbass hybrids...and the occasional pilot thing that makes sense for most people...

Lifelover
10-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Can I get one of both?

Argos
10-24-2005, 09:22 PM
If you've never picked a team, you really have no footing for rights. It's not about birth, it's about belief and living life a certain way. With Respect for your people and their traditions, as well as the hardships they have had to overcome, and apparently are still overcoming.

You, sir, do harm, not good, and are not on the "team" and don't get a free pass. You do damage and increase the difficulty for people that do not consider you to be amongst them.

Your terminology is anti-semetic, whether intended it to be or not. Interpretation is not up to you, that is called intent.

Bradford
10-24-2005, 09:26 PM
would you buy handmade if mass produced gave you what you wanted?

No. Stock and mass produced are just fine for me.

98% of us don't need custom geos
I'm one of the 98%.

how many of us are just bike snobs?
Many, perhaps most.

why do I post dumbass speculative crap like this...anyway...
Why do we read it? Who knows, but it is fun.

Fixed
10-24-2005, 09:27 PM
is it just doof, or has the retail range just shrunk in the last twenty years...remember walking into Vitesse Cycle in '81 and seein racin bikes, tourin bikes, sport-tourin bikes...good stuff for all needs...now you got yer racin bikes and yer dumbass hybrids...and the occasional pilot thing that makes sense for most people...[/QUOTE] bro it's not just bikes most things have changed and not all for the good i.m.h.o.cheers :beer:

manet
10-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Your terminology is anti-semetic, whether intended it to be or not. Interpretation is not up to you, that is called intent.

woah pony!

A L L I T E R A T I O N _ the man said alliteration, look it up, and
then look it up again. his intent is the point.

U may interpet, and U may be wrong.

manet
10-24-2005, 09:44 PM
and

i suppose you find 99% of borscht belt humor anti-seme(i)tic.

(i find it a tad puerile)

dirtdigger88
10-24-2005, 09:45 PM
doof is in the dog house- :p

Jason

jerk
10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
doof is in the dog house- :p

Jason

the jerk thinks the doofus was calling e-richie a jew, or maybe ben serotta, or maybe jesus christ. anyway, he was saying the jerk and someone who thought his mother was a virgin while she thought he was the son of god should make bicycles together in chinese prison camps. the whole notion is incredibly distasteful.

jerk

manet
10-24-2005, 10:01 PM
and here's for the 3 contact points:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/169836/2/hamentashen.jpg

jerk
10-24-2005, 10:02 PM
and here's for the 3 contact points:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/169836/2/hamentashen.jpg

oooh. thanks the jerk thinks.

dirtdigger88
10-24-2005, 10:03 PM
the jerk thinks the doofus was calling e-richie a jew, or maybe ben serotta, or maybe jesus christ. anyway, he was saying the jerk and someone who thought his mother was a virgin while she thought he was the son of god should make bicycles together in chinese prison camps. the whole notion is incredibly distasteful.

jerk

isnt the doof still on pain meds- maybe that explains things

Jason

manet
10-24-2005, 10:03 PM
on second thought:

if jesus were a bike, what kinda' bike would he be.

dirtdigger88
10-24-2005, 10:06 PM
on second thought:

if jesus were a bike, what kinda' bike would he be.

http://www.overunderphoto.com/Monochrome/ImagesMonochrome/Nun%20on%20bicycle%20-%20small.jpg

Jason

Sandy
10-24-2005, 10:35 PM
woah pony!

A L L I T E R A T I O N _ the man said alliteration, look it up, and
then look it up again. his intent is the point.

U may interpet, and U may be wrong.

The pony just stopped. I looked it up once. Was smart enough to not have to look it up again. Doof's choice of words for the "alliteration" seems peculiar, at best. Arbitrary? Random choice? Intentional?

Seems like his choice of the word Jew was unnecessary, insensitive, and incongruent with how he normally chooses his words. It leads to speculation on what he was thinking.

U N W I S E- look it up, and then look it up again. his choice was unwise.

U may interpret, and U may be right.

Sandy

Serpico
10-24-2005, 10:39 PM
hmmm, feel like I just stepped into the Kentucky Fried Serotta Movie thread, Directed by Dr. Doof

manet
10-24-2005, 10:52 PM
The pony just stopped. I looked it up once. Was smart enough to not have to look it up again. Doof's choice of words for the "alliteration" seems peculiar, at best. Arbitrary? Random choice? Intentional?

Seems like his choice of the word Jew was unnecessary, insensitive, and incongruent with how he normally chooses his words. It leads to speculation on what he was thinking.

U N W I S E- look it up, and then look it up again. his choice was unwise.

U may interpret, and U may be right.

Sandy

J _ erk
J _ ew

sure he could have jettisoned jew for J_ oker (which he has proven to be ALSO, at least 1/2 of him), just that it would'nt of jived wid J _ erk 'cause he was working with single syllables.

xoxo,
j'omatoe

manet
10-24-2005, 10:57 PM
then again, he could have chosen (no pun there really) J _ eb, but then
we would have had all the other southerners waving the southern cross
at us.

slowgoing
10-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Doof, yikes! That's a no-no, even if no harm was intended.

And yes, I would buy mass produced. And I would probably buy hand built as well.

bcm119
10-25-2005, 01:02 AM
I would have no problem with buying mass-produced. As long as it was as nice as a CIII and fit me as well. I can fit on standard geos easily. Only reason I have a Serotta is because I like'em.

I won't play the sensitive card on Doof, I'm sure he's used to walking on eggshells as a school teacher. But I was offended by the word 'Jerk'.

Dr. Doofus
10-25-2005, 04:56 AM
so looks like the jerk isn't going to have anything to do with it (but it was all conjecture anyway)...so j+j is dead as a name, doof is on his own...so back to doofazelli I guess but maybe somebody will gripe about how doof isn't really italian and its all a shameless marketing scam

back to tryin to fit these carbon wraps over plywood dowels....

Sandy
10-25-2005, 05:19 AM
R U on something?

Sandy

Argos
10-25-2005, 06:10 AM
Doof,

lets start a new, huh? The italian thing would probably work cause you are using it as a benefit. A positive. If instead, the frames were made on the cheap in Italy, and you called them the "Jerk and Guinea-Diego-Wop Bastard Cycles, to imply they were greasy poeces of ****, then we would, again, have a problem with your post. This is the way you used "JEW" as in the merchant of venice depiction.

If you wanted to "alliterate" your point as someone wrongly suggested about frames in Asia, perhaps, "Jerk and Jung Jing Jong" as they would then be "chink-ing" you out of your money, not actually "Jew-ing"

Ok, we can be friends again, I hope, freak.

Too Tall
10-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Apologists abound...we love yah boy. *File the horns...they need a trim ;)

Regarding your now flambed question....yes and no. Yes if it were fabricated by the likes of Panasonic or Toyo
( http://www.jbpi.or.jp/english/JBG/PARTS&ACCESSORIES/TOYO%20FRAME%20CO%20LTD.pdf ) or drunk after hr.s Gunnar employees for that matter.

No because I'm a rat pack'r and (down beat please ) want it myyyy waaay.

Dr. Doofus
10-25-2005, 07:17 AM
yeah whatever

gotta go kick jim-jim's butt now

gets in a coupla cartoons and thinks he's something

Tom
10-25-2005, 07:21 AM
...someone who thought his mother was a virgin while she thought he was the son of god...

jerk

How many people does that describe? Methinks a lot.

andy mac
10-25-2005, 10:14 AM
i would happily buy mass but sadly fall into the 2%'ers.

quick aside, there's a band called 'doof'. you can buy their music on itunes - listed under electronic. cd called 'lets turn on'.

party on wayne.

jerk
10-25-2005, 10:20 AM
How many people does that describe? Methinks a lot.

it's been used as a proof that jesus was italian, jewish, polish and many other noble nationalities.

Kirk Pacenti
10-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I have been thinking of this very thing! I have been thinking of producing strictly production frame sets that would work for 98% of the people out there (regardless of the ethnicity).

My vision would include a "Club-racer" "Sport-tourer" ad possibly a FS MTB. Decent size range, 4-6 stock paint schemes, and no custom options to keep price down. They would however, be built in the US with top notch Columbus steel! The hardest part will be coming up with the name....I wish I could think of something "Italian" sounding...

How many of you would buy a production bike from this Dago/ Mic/ Kraut?
(That's American of Italian/Irish/German descent for all the hypersensative PC types here!)

Fixed
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
bro how about Major Taylor as a name .cheers :beer:

manet
10-25-2005, 12:22 PM

if you're trying for parallel words, the K word instead of jew is the one, and
that one IS not even close to what oofd was eluding to. i understand the hatred towards the hatred, but oofd was saying he's jewish, he was NOT using it as a verb. jerk is a jerk. oofd is a jew. jerk + jew.

Dr. Doofus
10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
I have been thinking of this very thing! I have been thinking of producing strictly production frame sets that would work for 98% of the people out there (regardless of the ethnicity).

My vision would include a "Club-racer" "Sport-tourer" ad possibly a FS MTB. Decent size range, 4-6 stock paint schemes, and no custom options to keep price down. They would however, be built in the US with top notch Columbus steel! The hardest part will be coming up with the name....I wish I could think of something "Italian" sounding...

you are my human hero

doof has always thought if waterford can pump out a stock geo R-14 for 725 bucks under a different name, there's no reason why others can't get in on that...and that's 725 for US-made....

hey, I like you

no poop for you!

Dr. Doofus
10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
if you're trying for parallel words, the K word instead of jew is the one, and
that one IS not even close to what oofd was eluding to. i understand the hatred towards the hatred, but oofd was saying he's jewish, he was NOT using as a verb. jerk is a jerk. oofd is a jew. jerk + jew, just like the
resturant chat + chew.

enough with your asinine human fixations on religion, race, and ethnicity

you're acting like a bunch of damned red-assed baboons

dirtdigger88
10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~mtoews/iq/baboon.jpg

Jason

92degrees
10-25-2005, 12:33 PM
this thread gave me a stomach ache.

manet
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
you're acting like a bunch of damned red-assed baboons

wrong thread, try this one:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=11815&highlight=saddle

xoxo

Too Tall
10-25-2005, 01:40 PM
OK Kirk I'm your man.

FS
Bolognese
HT
Maccheroni

Sport Tourer
Ziti

Club Racer
Margherita

jdoiv
10-25-2005, 02:01 PM

How about Pacenti? That sounds vagely euro to me...
If you're doin' steel, then you should definately have a ht mtb as well. Not many people doin' those these days, which is a cryin' shame....

sg8357
10-25-2005, 02:44 PM

As an Olduvian-American, I'd ask what is the difference twixt a Gunnar
and a Pacenti ? I was looking at a Surly LHT and a Gunnar Crosshairs at the
LBS yesterday, you could easily see the better welding and brazing on
the Gunnar vs. the LHT and both were a long ways off from my Chris
Kvale, a straight forward example of "you gets whats you pay for".

There are a swarm of Waterfords around here, but few Gunnars,
there also lots of Serottas, you'd figure the cheaper Gunnars would
be well represented, but no. The Gunnar price people are riding TrekaDales.

Scott G.

cpg
10-25-2005, 04:11 PM
In regards to the original question posted by Sir Doof, I don't think the bike industry needs yet another bike company with bikes designed by some guys with no design or building experience. Furthermore, regurgitating CONI geos/reproducing ordianary designs dressed up something new just has been done far too many times. I love you both like brothers but... I say it's a bad idea.

Now Kirk Pacenti's idea of doing something similar seems like a better idea if for no other reason he's got the hard earned chops to make it right and lend credibility.

Curt

jerk
10-25-2005, 04:40 PM
In regards to the original question posted by Sir Doof, I don't think the bike industry needs yet another bike company with bikes designed by some guys with no design or building experience. Furthermore, regurgitating CONI geos/reproducing ordianary designs dressed up something new just has been done far too many times. I love you both like brothers but... I say it's a bad idea.

Now Kirk Pacenti's idea of doing something similar seems like a better idea if for no other reason he's got the hard earned chops to make it right and lend credibility.

Curt

none taken-
the jerk wasn't ever going to embark on such a stupid project. if he had money or time to throw away he'd take up yachting.

the jerk never said he knew anything about proper bicycle design. nor does he have any experience building bicycle frames. nonetheless, that puts the jerk ten stratosheres above just about every product manager in the cycling industry when it comes to qualifications for such a job......unfortunatly the jerk has been forced into designing bicycle frame geometry in the past....the results have been far better than if he'd let the original "designer" from a firm which shall not be named, do the work. in a very narrow scope-the modern racing bicycle, the jerk knows what works. plus he has an impeccable sense of style and proper and pure aesethtic vision....
don't forget bub- when it comes to chops- the jerk's freaking mr. mutton.

jerk

Dr. Doofus
10-25-2005, 05:10 PM
the jerk's freaking mr. mutton.

jerk

how do mr. mutton and mrs. jerk feel about this?

Ginger
10-25-2005, 06:30 PM
No one really appreciates a poet until he's dead.

vaxn8r
10-25-2005, 08:56 PM
....in a very narrow scope-the modern racing bicycle, the jerk knows what works. plus he has an impeccable sense of style and proper and pure aesethtic vision....

jerk
Well, I beg to differ...after all you did put a Brooks on a BLE....puh leeezzz!

Too Tall
10-26-2005, 07:54 AM
Vax...uh wan't that Dario who put said Brooks on his bike?

manet
10-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Vax...uh wan't that Dario who put said Brooks on his bike?

at times, all artistes rebuff the edit button, though having said that, the choice of mixing old + new is a tried and true element of good collage.
the example i admire is the fizik saddle of cow hide, replete with natural
tan + white hair.

jerk
10-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Well, I beg to differ...after all you did put a Brooks on a BLE....puh leeezzz!

go read your derrida. it's a post modern joke. if there's anything to complain about it's the 6 dollar seatpost on the thing.

jerk

davids
10-26-2005, 09:49 AM
go read your derrida. it's a post modern joke. if there's anything to complain about it's the 6 dollar seatpost on the thing.

jerk
Oh, I dunno. It sorta mediates the tension between the incongruous design eras. But it shoulda been black.

As far as Dr. D's original question. No thanks. We don't need another Ridley. Even if I'm going for "stock" geometry, I want to know it's been designed and built by people who not only know what they're doing, but love what they do. E.g, I liked the ride of the Cannondale Synapse, but when I got off the bike and started looking at the finish. Feh. It looks like product, not a bike.

...and the "J & J" thing didn't offend me at all. "Jew"? That's what I am, what (it appears) a number of are, including the Dr, albeit on a technicality. As far as the Dr's intent, I can only interpret. Seemed like a typically doofy joke to me...

manet
10-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Oh, I dunno. It sorta mediates the tension between the incongruous design eras. But it shoulda been black.

As far as Dr. D's original question. No thanks. We don't need another Ridley. Even if I'm going for "stock" geometry, I want to know it's been designed and built by people who not only know what they're doing, but love what they do. E.g, I liked the ride of the Cannondale Synapse, but when I got off the bike and started looking at the finish. Feh. It looks like product, not a bike.

...and the "J & J" thing didn't offend me at all. "Jew"? That's what I am, what (it appears) a number of are, including the Dr, albeit on a technicality. As far as the Dr's intent, I can only interpret. Seemed like a typically doofy joke to me...

... and the calm in the room sat contently, having eased it's way out of a common sense approach...

Ken Robb
10-26-2005, 11:26 AM
revive that great old Italian brand: Stelvio