PDA

View Full Version : Centaur 10 speed power T compact crankset

hainy
12-14-2012, 04:29 AM
I have been having constant problems with this crankset and looking to swap it out with an Athena or Chorus.
Does it have to be 10 speed crank or is 11 speed compatible. I understand if I choose an ultra T crank new BB cups are required.

What would you see as a good option without spending a bomb?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any advice.

Hainy

AngryScientist
12-14-2012, 05:56 AM

probably getting your current crankset to work correctly. what kind of problems are you having with the crankset you have now??

note that i ask because there are only a few possible problems with your crankset, two that come to mind are wrong BB shell width, and improperly faced BB shell. if that's the case, a new crankset will be just as bad. new parts will not help if you dont cure the root of the problem.

so what's going on with what you have now?

ultraman6970
12-14-2012, 06:45 AM
what kind of problems are you having with the crankset you have now?? <--- +1

oldpotatoe
12-14-2012, 07:45 AM
I have been having constant problems with this crankset and looking to swap it out with an Athena or Chorus.
Does it have to be 10 speed crank or is 11 speed compatible. I understand if I choose an ultra T crank new BB cups are required.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any advice.

Hainy

11s will work fine w/o modification. Athena starting in 2011 is PowerTorque. What problem are you having??

hainy
12-14-2012, 12:26 PM
It clunks away under load.

I have had two very good bike shops have a go at it and still no cigar,

Yes they both have the right tools.

Cheers

Hainy

oldpotatoe
12-14-2012, 01:11 PM
It clunks away under load.

I have had two very good bike shops have a go at it and still no cigar,

Yes they both have the right tools.

Cheers

Hainy

I have installed more than a couple and not saying I could make yours not 'clunk'..but

Frame prepped? Faced?

Grease, lots in BB shell?

Lotsa grease in RH cup and around bearing in LH cup?

Clip in RH cup? Big wavy washer IN LH cup?

Grease on bolt, and bolt TIGHT..basically till it stops?

Sure it's the crank?

CR bolts tight?

hainy
12-14-2012, 01:25 PM
tah

frame is not a problem as BAUM are faced very well and the previous group set had no problems

i think I will bite the bullet and just buy chorus UT which is on my other bike with no problems

AngryScientist
12-14-2012, 01:33 PM
tah

frame is not a problem as BAUM are faced very well and the previous group set had no problems

i think I will bite the bullet and just buy chorus UT which is on my other bike with no problems

it's your money, and you are free to spend it as you please, but if you dont find the cause of your current problem, replacing the crankset is only a shot in the dark. there is nothing about a powertorque crankset that is inherently problematic. but it sounds like you have your mind made up to just throw parts at the problem.

thegunner
12-14-2012, 01:33 PM
tah

it's a baum -- it deserves better than centaur :p