PDA

View Full Version : Face Lift

ergott
10-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Just installed said bars fro a previous thread. Ride report to follow.

I had a few reasons to try this setup. The right price, limited (read "no") with previous setup and a higher front end.

Previous fit was great. I think I had (have) the perfect race bike. These days the race milage is way down and I find my miles are spent actually enjoying riding (imagine that)! I think once I get over the ego flattening high front end I will also realize that I probably improved my breathing efficiency as well. Not as sporty looking as before http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=10248 but still a get up and go bike. Not that it matters, but I did drop about 65g off the front (+weight of computer mount). I'm not getting rid of the Rams just yet. I might have to find another bike to put them on!

What do you guys think of the computer placement? It's nice and out of the way and I don't look at it much anyway.

http://websites4ever.com/ergott//side.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//close_side.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//close_front.jpg

ergott
10-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Can't upload pics! Tune in....

There we go!!!

coylifut
10-24-2005, 02:53 PM
cool looking wheels, what are they?

ergott
10-24-2005, 03:18 PM
cool looking wheels, what are they?

They are a project I'm testing out.
AC road rear hub, AC front mtn bike hub (mtb 105).
DT Aerolites front and rear non drive.
DT New Aero spokes drive side.
brass nipples
Mavic Reflex rims
3X all around
The DT new aero is a heavier gauge spoke than the Aerolites. This helps build a more durable rear wheel. This same design is on the high end Bontrager and Campagnolo wheels to name a few. The brass washers are used because AC hubs have bigs spoke holes. This alows the spoke to fit better preventing any unnecessary movement and premature spoke failure.

http://websites4ever.com/ergott//rear_close.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//rear_close_1.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//front.jpg

Smiley
10-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Fess up Eric, now would it have been nice to have extended the head tube a NOTCH and left a spacer or two above the stem just for this moment. I think it looks just fine but it could have been better if you had planned for this day coming. Anyway I have no problem with your face lift and I have done this myself over time. Never raced and don't care what a race bike should look like. I like to not need my chiropracter after a bike ride. Enjoy.

coylifut
10-24-2005, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=ergott]They are a project I'm testing out.
AC road rear hub, AC front mtn bike hub (mtb 105).
DT Aerolites front and rear non drive.
DT New Aero spokes drive side.
brass nipples
Mavic Reflex rims
3X all around
The DT new aero is a heavier gauge spoke than the Aerolites. This helps build a more durable rear wheel. This same design is on the high end Bontrager and Campagnolo wheels to name a few. The brass washers are used because AC hubs have bigs spoke holes. This alows the spoke to fit better preventing any unnecessary movement and premature spoke failure.

QUOTE]

sounds like a good cyclocross wheel. that's all I ever think about.

Cadence230
10-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Cool bike. Those cables work good huh? Yes. I think so. Have fun woth the new setup.

ergott
10-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Fess up Eric, now would it have been nice to have extended the head tube a NOTCH and left a spacer or two above the stem just for this moment. I think it looks just fine but it could have been better if you had planned for this day coming. Anyway I have no problem with your face lift and I have done this myself over time. Never raced and don't care what a race bike should look like. I like to not need my chiropracter after a bike ride. Enjoy.

It's actually more than high enough now. I might end up flipping the stem back anyway. I just thought I'd try something different since I can. I never had issues with comfort with the previous setup.

Fixed
10-24-2005, 06:41 PM
bro nice bike dude if you ever want to relocate I bet Shook could sure use you.you puttin your h.b's. higher made me think I bet a lot of guys are going to start lowerin their saddles for winter . cheers :beer:

ergott
10-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Cool bike. Those cables work good huh? Yes. I think so. Have fun woth the new setup.
Love the cables! The standard style just doesn't make sense anymore. Well, they are cheaper, but you never have to replace the housing and you can make the housing longer if needed. Just save the extra links and all you need is the inner teflon.

bluesea
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
I have the same shifter cable layout. What made you go that route?

ergott
10-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I have the same shifter cable layout. What made you go that route?

Are you talking about the criss crossing of the derailer cables?

bluesea
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Are you talking about the criss crossing of the derailer cables?

Yes, by chance the guy who built my bike did the same. Later when I noticed it and ponderer it for a while, was totally stoked. Thought it was a very rational layout considering that bars come with grooves front and back.

ergott
10-26-2005, 05:28 AM
Yes, by chance the guy who built my bike did the same. Later when I noticed it and ponderer it for a while, was totally stoked. Thought it was a very rational layout considering that bars come with grooves front and back.

As long as the downtube doesn't get in the way, I think this routing makes more sense. The derailleur cables have a cleaner arc. It also has a much cleaner look. I don't notice a difference in shifting mainly because between this bike and the last one I had, I haven't routed cables different since 2000. All I know is that the shifting works for me!

Too Tall
10-26-2005, 07:22 AM
If you were comfortable why change? Yeah I know because you can....but why? 10-4 on the cable routing. I've been doing that too. If Dekonic will post a pic. of the bike I built for him? I like to weave the cables...looks cool. Pal you are a wheel geek in a good way. We used washers back-inna-day for really light cheesey rims with no eyelets. What you did makes alot of sense.

Frustration
10-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Nice,

This is when you're happy you have a custom fit... Sometimes you just can't get things to work out fit wise when you start to make more adjustments on a bike that you had to make adjustments to in the first place...

Don't know what bars you had before, but the set up you have now will be stiff compared to almost anything...

tch
10-26-2005, 01:37 PM
so I'll reply. I got no comment on the height of the bars, but, man, I can't get around that big ole stem! No matter how light in reality, it looks clunky! I just don't like how big it is. Sorry.

ergott
10-26-2005, 03:52 PM
If you were comfortable why change? Yeah I know because you can....but why? 10-4 on the cable routing. I've been doing that too. If Dekonic will post a pic. of the bike I built for him? I like to weave the cables...looks cool. Pal you are a wheel geek in a good way. We used washers back-inna-day for really light cheesey rims with no eyelets. What you did makes alot of sense.

Just a hunch. I won't know until I get out on the bike. THe weather here isn't making that easy and my schedule is all over the place right now. :crap:
Again, no problem with the ols fit and if I do decide to go back, I will be in the same position as my previous setup (Rams). I think I will like the fact that I can tape these bars all the way unlike the Rams. I tried that with those and they were too bulky to my hands. The exposed carbon was nice, but I think I miss bartape. I will also try the forearms on the bar position I just can't do with the bars a low as they were. I also think I will spen even ore time in the drops than before. This is a great position for hard efforts and now I have an even more relaxed position when on the tops for when I'm chillin' with the parents or other more social rides. I look at it as not losing the lower position (I can use the drops) and gaining a higher position for easier efforts. Again, just a hunch and not sure if I'll like it until I actuall get out there this week.

A ride report will follow.

Fixed
10-26-2005, 05:45 PM
bro a lot of the guys from a shop i know have that setup they got a deal from zipp for shop guys they all like them but these guys like everything that comes out, let us know what you think cheers :beer: