PDA

View Full Version : OT- Kraftwerk - Tour de France

bikerboy337
12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Not sure if we have many people on here from London, but this would be a cool thing to attend, especially their last show on valentines day, "Tour de France".

I know kraftwerk comes up on here every so often in reference to this album... anyways, thought I'd pass along...would be cool if it were in the US

German electropop pioneers Kraftwerk will perform in Tate Modern's cavernous Turbine Hall next February for eight nights, their first live London performances since 2004, the popular contemporary art gallery said on Wednesday.

The band formed by Ralf Huetter and Florian Schneider in 1970 will perform one studio album in full on each night and combine it with visual backdrops including 3D projections and animation.

"As a former power station, Tate Modern's Turbine Hall is an ideal venue for Kraftwerk's explorations of technology, energy and rhythm," said Chris Dercon, director of Tate Modern.

"Bringing together music, video and performance, these events will be true 'gesamtkunstwerk' - a total work of art."

Tickets for the performances, titled "Kraftwerk The Catalogue 12345678", will cost 60 pounds ($97) each and go on sale from the morning of Wednesday, December 12.

There is a four-ticket limit per person for a single show and it is not possible to buy tickets for the whole series.

The shows are as follows:

Wednesday, February 6 - Autobahn (1974)

Thursday, February 7 - Radio-Activity (1975)

Friday, February 8 - Trans-Europe Express (1977)

Saturday, February 9 - The Man-Machine (1978)

Monday, February 11 - Computer World (1981)

Tuesday, February 12 - Techno Pop (1986)

Wednesday, February 13 - The Mix (1991)

Thursday, February 14 - Tour de France (2003)

ultraman6970
12-13-2012, 12:34 PM
I would love to go to this ones...

Wednesday, February 6 - Autobahn (1974)

Thursday, February 7 - Radio-Activity (1975)

Saturday, February 9 - The Man-Machine (1978)

Monday, February 11 - Computer World (1981)

Tour de france is not one of the best ones IMO. The problem with them is that they did not evolved enough and became repetitive like jean michel jarre that at some point became boring looking inspiration in his old creations.

beeatnik
12-13-2012, 01:10 PM
There's a great interview (LA Weekly, I think) where Ralf Hutter talks about the differences in Kraftwerk's modern touring set-up (basically laptops) and the tons of equipment they would haul in the 70s and 80s. He mentions that the band is free to ride for a few hours before each performance. I always picture those guys climbing the Hollywood Hills before their last show at the Greek. IIRC, Hutter is more passionate about cycling than music these days.

goonster
12-13-2012, 01:12 PM
I have seen them twice, and while the shows were nearly identical (7 years apart), both occasions were surprisingly moving.

The key is that their vision of technology (nuclear power excepted) is completely optimistic and free of irony. Don't worry, the machines will take good care of you. They are the anti-Radiohead in this regard. Their music has aged really well.

Highly recommended. Red shirt, black tie is de rigeur.

"Boing, bumm tschak. Peng!"

cash05458
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
very cool...I didn't realize those guys actually rode...

beeatnik
12-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I have seen them twice, and while the shows were nearly identical (7 years apart), both occasions were surprisingly moving.

The key is that their vision of technology (nuclear power excepted) is completely optimistic and free of irony. Don't worry, the machines will take good care of you. They are the anti-Radiohead in this regard. Their music has aged really well.

Highly recommended. Red shirt, black tie is de rigeur.

"Boing, bumm tschak. Peng!"

Kraftwerk at Coachella, the year the Pixies reunited and Radiohead headlined, was one of the great entertainment experiences of my life. Visual, aural and intellectual overload. Also saw Daft Punk a few years later in the same tent and I was a little underwhelmed (4 dudes standing in front of laptops was more compelling than two dudes dancing in front of laptops), although the crowd was going insane.

ultraman6970
12-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Since you guys are into electronic music and willing to hear maybe the most vanguard and unknown electronic music artist over the face of the earth you guys have to check Johan Timman.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JohanTimman/videos

He mixed many styles, when the germans were just playing with simple sequences (kraftwerk, tangerine dream, etc) the guy around the same time was playing really complicated stuff... those videos are from 80 or 81... nobody was doing what he did, the sad part is that he disapeared, his only record is really hard to find aswell. Got lucky to get one of the 200 cds ever made. I think the LP had like 1500 copies. Just pure analog electronic.

Still waiting for the second record that was due last year, he decided to just start again because he did not like it.. wasterd! :)

jbrainin
12-13-2012, 05:43 PM
They performed all these albums at MOMA in NYC this past April. I was there for the first night when they played the Autobahn album. They played a bunch of other material also, including some tunes from the TdF album. Amazing show, well worth the nightmare process for acquiring tickets.