PDA

View Full Version : OT: Google Maps for IOS is back

tuxbailey
12-13-2012, 09:12 AM
For the iPhone users, a big piece of the puzzle is back in place. And it has voice guided turn by turn direction as well (same as Android.) I downloaded and it is really nice. Apple should just shelve whatever effort they have on making their maps app better.

I used the live traffic feature everyday and other implementation (Apple, Mapquest) are not the same.

Pars
12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Good. I can do an IOS 6 upgrade now on my 4S.

svelocity
12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info!

SpeedyChix
12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
For the iPhone users, a big piece of the puzzle is back in place. And it has voice guided turn by turn direction as well (same as Android.) I downloaded and it is really nice. Apple should just shelve whatever effort they have on making their maps app better.

I used the live traffic feature everyday and other implementation (Apple, Mapquest) are not the same.

Much better than Apple's app.

Chance
12-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Now if only my Christmas gift comes through!;)

bluesea
12-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I didn't see a way to make it default.

merlinmurph
12-13-2012, 03:51 PM
On Android phones, I've seen that you can save map segments in cache so that when you're out of range of a data connection (like on a bike ride in the boonies), you still have the map segment and GPS can show you where you are.

Does Google maps on iOS have this option?

I'm in the market for a new smartphone and really want this.

Thanks,
Murph

rice rocket
12-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Apple should just shelve whatever effort they have on making their maps app better.

But they NEED the ad revenue!!!

nekoball
12-13-2012, 04:34 PM
...but still no bicycling maps. Android users get this.

tuxbailey
12-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Well, Google is still holding some of the goodies as "Beta" and reserve them for Android phones only. But I think that will change as soon as they start putting ads in the IOS maps. After all, Google is into ad revenue, and the more people use their map, the more revenue they will have.