PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Appalachian Trail

William
12-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Anyone hike it? Did you do a section or did you thru-hike it? Can you bikepack it at all?

William

Jawn P
12-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Stay at Hiker Hostel (http://hikerhostel.com) if you are going South to North!

Josh and Leigh are the nicest folks around and have deep roots in cycling.

MattTuck
12-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I've done lots of sections of it in New Hampshire, I'd say that bike packing those sections would be extremely difficult unless you're Danny Hart and have balls so big you can't sit on your saddle.

That said, my friend just finished riding the continental divide from Banff Canada to Mexico. If you were interested in talking to him about that type of thing, I could facilitate an introduction.

EDIT: You'd also need trials skills like Danny Macaskill to get up the mountains. I think if you're going to try to hike it, you should do it ultra-light. With hiking shoes, light pack/gear and traveling fast and light, you can cover a lot more ground per day with a lot less stress on your body, and do the AT much faster. When you're in Hanover, I'll take you out to dinner. ;)

Louis
12-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't think bikes are allowed on the AT, but I'm not 100% sure.

Louis
12-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Regulation Link (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/regulations-permits)

National Park Service Rules and Regulations
Listed below is a summary of rules and regulations set and enforced by the National Park Service for the NPS-acquired A.T. corridor. This is not a comprehensive list.

Overnight stays at camping and/or shelter sites shall be limited to the maximum number of nights specified by local authorities (typically 2–3) or to two nights where no local policies have been adopted.
Camping shall follow policies established by local authorities or shall be limited to established overnight shelters and tenting areas.
Dead wood may be collected for use in campfires at designated campsites or shelters. Campfires are prohibited except at those locations specifically designated by local authorities.
All fires shall be completely extinguished and cold to the touch prior to abandonment.
Disposal of human bodily waste shall be accomplished only at sanitary facilities or must be buried four to six inches deep in an area not frequented by the public, not visible from trails, campsites or developed areas, and at least 100 feet from any water source.
Motorized vehicles are not permitted.
Bicycles and mountain bikes are not permitted on the Trail or the Trail corridor.
Pack animals, including horses, mules, burros, goats, and llamas are not allowed.
All edible berries, fruits, and nuts found along the A.T. footpath may be gathered by hand for personal consumption.
Any noise level from a radio, tape deck, compact disc, or other mechanical device that is more audible than a conversational voice at a distance of 50 feet from the source is prohibited.
Scattering of human ashes (memorialization) on NPS lands is prohibited without a special permit from the NPS director.
The installation of any monument, memorial, tablet, structure or other commemorative along the A.T. or in the A.T. corridor is prohibited without authorization by the NPS.
Permits are required for certain activities, including specimen collection, special events, public assemblies, sale/distribution of printed matter, agricultural grazing, memorialization, business operations, and commercial photography.
All incidents resulting in injury to persons or damage to property in excess of $300 must be reported by persons involved to the superintendent (park manager or his/her rep) as soon as possible.

Visit the National Park Service Web site for more information on the national parks that the Trail passes through—Blue Ridge Parkway, C&O Canal National Historical Park, Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, and Shenandoah National Park

rounder
12-12-2012, 10:47 PM
I never hiked it. Have a niece who did. She was a cross country runner at Boston College. Have been to Mount Katahdin a few times, which is at the end of the Appalachian Trail. Last time, went to the station where the hikers check in at the end of the trail. Some of them posted messages to describe their experiences and things they saw. It was pretty cool.

eddief
12-12-2012, 10:53 PM
by Bill Bryson. A must read whether you go or not. A Walk in the Woods.

scooter
12-12-2012, 11:39 PM
I've hiked sections in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, New Hampshire, and Maine. If you plan to thru hike, it's usually a 3 -4 month event so most thru hikers are high school/college age or early retirees (50/60's). No bikes or motorized vehicles are allowed on the trail. A few trail sections are shared with horse trails. The first thru hiker was Earl Shaffer back in 1948 ( he hiked it again two more times). The first woman to solo thru was Grandma Gatewood in 1955. And, yes, she was a grandmother from Ohio (she had 11 children) who hiked it at age 67 in high top Keds and a gunny sack she carried with a few sundries in it to get by. Back then, some sections of the trail (which incidentally are blazed with a white paint stripe on adjacent trees) were located on country roads. The trail is actually more primitive today than it was fifty years ago. Grandma would often sleep in barns, churches, or in people's homes. She hiked many of the other major American trails, too, besides becoming a national celebrity when she appeared on the Jack Paar tv show. Greyhound gave her a free pass on their buses which she took full advantage of, riding the dog. There are plenty of good books about people's experiences hiking the trail, including (legally blind) Bill Irwin's account, entitled "Blind Courage."

Louis
12-13-2012, 01:09 AM
William, the biggest question is what trail name you'll choose. Actually, I'm not sure if you get to choose your own, or if it has to be given to you by fellow hikers. Either way, I'm sure yours will be memorable...

GuyGadois
12-13-2012, 01:17 AM
by Bill Bryson. I must read whether you go or not. A Walk in the Woods.

+1 a laugh out loud book. Read it.

Louis
12-13-2012, 01:21 AM
+1 a laugh out loud book. Read it.

+2 -- Eddie meant to write "a must read" not "I must read."

BTW, Bryson used to live in Hanover, NH, the same town on the AT as our illustrious M Tuck.

verticaldoug
12-13-2012, 04:54 AM
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

A forum for thru-hikers. Not as lively as this place though.

http://karlmeltzer.com/appalachian-trail-2008/

Karl's story about a thru-run in 47 days or less. He failed, but is thinking about trying it again this year if sponsors fall in place.

If you have limited time, I'd hit the AT in the Whites or hit the North half of the Long Trail in Vermont. (Middlebury Gap to Jay)

victoryfactory
12-13-2012, 04:54 AM
The AT is a thing not really a hike.
Doing the whole trail is more about a major test of endurance or
a life goal or a been there, done that feather in your cap.

There are logistics, road walks, detours to towns etc.

The AT is also uncomfortable and really not a solitary wilderness
experience. You will see the same people over and over at campsites
and re supply stops. You may find yourself spending as much time
with people (and trying to avoid some of them) than you do in your
regular life. Think college dorm rather than Walden pond.

If you are the type that needs to do a triple century rather than a
60 miler, or a 100 mile ultra marathon rather than a 10k, go for it.

There is a point 1-2 weeks in where some go home and some go
on.
otoh, there are many who enjoy some of the choice bits as a day or
weekend hike.

For those who go on, the AT can be a life defining achievement. Your
own personal Everest. But it's not really "hiking" nor is it anything like
our romantic getting away from it all visions. It's a real challenge,
physical, mental and emotional.

I know this is a drift and not about bike packing which was answered
above. sorry.
VF

schwa86
12-13-2012, 05:47 AM
I have done most of Maine and most of NH. To the earlier points, it is more like a superhighway of hikers than a getting away from it experience. I vastly prefer hiking out west where the trails are more remote, the views are more spectacular, etc.

jh_on_the_cape
12-13-2012, 08:10 AM
I have done much of New England.

I hiked the John Muir Trail in CA and it is a much greater wilderness experience.

On the AT you will be on roads sometimes. Feels more like being a hobo than being in the mountains at times. Some of my friends have done through hiked the AT and loved it.

When someone asks me about it, I reply that if you are going to hike for months on end, go west to the continental divide trail, etc. unless you have something in you that you have always wanted to do the AT.

xjoex
12-13-2012, 09:35 AM
I have done 75% of it, all in sections. I am impressed with anyone who can do it. I have wanted to go for it, but always back out.

I get bored after 5 days of walking and sleeping. And I love hiking!

-Joe

yngpunk
12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I have done much of New England.

I hiked the John Muir Trail in CA and it is a much greater wilderness experience.

On the AT you will be on roads sometimes. Feels more like being a hobo than being in the mountains at times. Some of my friends have done through hiked the AT and loved it.

When someone asks me about it, I reply that if you are going to hike for months on end, go west to the continental divide trail, etc. unless you have something in you that you have always wanted to do the AT.

+1 on hiking the John Muir Trail in CA

PaMtbRider
12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Thru hiking the AT is the equivalent badge of honor for hikers that a cross country ride is for cyclists. The AT takes a much bigger commitment and is much harder in my opinion. The summer I graduated high school my father and I rode self supported cross country. 34 days averaging 100 miles / day. 4 years later, dad retired from work and thru hiked the AT. I dropped him off in Georgia in the spring, and he spent the whole summer hiking to Maine. It was amazing to hear him talk about meeting people the first week of the trip who had planned on hiking to Maine, and had already given up. I think most people under estimate the commitment needed to make such a journey.

merlinmurph
12-13-2012, 11:23 AM
No bikes - at all.
I've done many parts of it from MA on north which has some fantastic sections, particularly in NH where you're above treeline a lot. As you've heard, doing the whole enchilada is a whole different mindset. If you've got the time and the inclination, definitely do it.

If nothing else, do Katahdin. Sitting at Chimney Pond is one of the most beautiful settings there are anywhere. Knife Edge is one of the coolest sections of trail I've been on.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

gdw
12-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I've hiked a lot of the sections in VT, NH, and ME and biked a few miles as well. The biking was done in the late fall early winter 20+ years ago and I wasn't aware of the bike ban. There were no signs indicating it was closed to bikes and I never encountered any hikers. It wasn't easy even without gear and not much fun on a rigid mtb.

If you have the time and want a challenging adventure hike it. If your time is limited and you want to stay in New England hike the Northern sections or try the Long Trail.

If you're interested in an east coast bikepacking trip check out the Allegheny Mountains Loop or Trans North Georgia. You can ride them for fun or as an individual time trial. This sight has good summaries and links:
http://topgearracing.wordpress.com/

buldogge
12-14-2012, 09:21 AM
I don't have the time/money/energy to commit to an AT thru-hike, but I would like to head out to the section near Clingman's Dome sometime this Spring.

For now, I'm section hiking the OT (Ozark Trail) this winter...heading out next weekend in fact for another 50-60 miles...Courtois and Trace this time.

Anyone else here hanging out on White Blaze or BPL???

-Mark in St. Louis

William
12-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I spent a lot of time hiking in Oregon and Washington but haven't done too much since moving out East. I figured we should hit parts of the AT while we're out here. Thank you for all the suggestions folks!:cool:

William

gdw
12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
"Anyone else here hanging out on White Blaze or BPL???"

Yes and Hammockforums too although I'm a ground dweller most of the time.

verticaldoug
12-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I spent a lot of time hiking in Oregon and Washington but haven't done too much since moving out East. I figured we should hit parts of the AT while we're out here. Thank you for all the suggestions folks!:cool:

William

100 mile wilderness in Maine and northern half of Long Trail in Vermont. You'll be styling.

moose8
12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
If nothing else, do Katahdin. Sitting at Chimney Pond is one of the most beautiful settings there are anywhere. Knife Edge is one of the coolest sections of trail I've been on.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

I wholeheartedly second this - Katahdin is one of the prettiest places on the east coast, if not the world, and if you are within a day's drive and like hiking you should completely go hike it. Over the years I've done lots of sections of the AT from New Jersey north (I was absolutely shocked New Jersey was actually really pretty, and also the coldest because we were just using a tarp that wasn't big enough to keep the rain off of all of us). Of the parts I've seen, Katahdin takes the cake. There is another section called Mahoosuc Notch that is pretty cool too since it's weird boulders you scramble over and even on the hottest days of the summer there is ice/snow tucked away under some of them so it feels like natural air conditioning. It's not nearly as difficult a hike as Katahdin though. I'm on my 5th year in a row of trying to climb Katahdin in the winter (though I have only summited once due to the dangerous conditions that have existed), too, and that is when it is crazy spectacular - no people, and snow everywhere. My friends have come from Europe and said it rivaled the Alps for sheer beauty when we were sitting up at Chimney Pond at night.

If I were planning a long through hike, I'd look at the Pacific Crest Trail too. My friend just finished in September (he started in May) and his pictures are amazing - he said it was prettier than the AT. The John Muir trail is part of it, so that is a great option too - my friend did that first, loved it, so a couple years later went and did the whole PCT.

FlashUNC
12-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I've done pretty big chunks of North Carolina and Virginia.

Bikes are a no-go, as others have mentioned.

Would be really tough to do with a bike anyways, given some of the sections I've done.

But its astounding fun.

buldogge
12-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Assuming you use the same user name...that was a nice quilt that you made.

If so, how did it work out? Have you made others??

-Mark

"Anyone else here hanging out on White Blaze or BPL???"

Yes and Hammockforums too although I'm a ground dweller most of the time.

achurch
12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
If you want fewer people, do the IAT (which is the extension from Katahdin to the Atlantic ocean at the tip of the Gaspee peninsula). It is not as long but most of it has a lot fewer people.

Have hiked about 50% from Georgia all the way through to the Gaspee. Favorite parts were the Smokies in Tennessee before the leaves were out (you can see a lot more!) and the chic-chocs in the Gaspee peninsula. Think presidential range without 90% of the people and with a resident caribou herd. All of my time has been in 3 - 10 day stretches. Through-hiking is a whole different experience.

Bryson's book is hilarious--but he did not finish it. I don't think it is a good translation of the experience so much as a very funny caricature of it.

IAT link is the last of this Ntl Geographic "World's Best Hikes: Epic Trails":

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/best-trails/worlds-best-grail-trails/#/chic-chocs-mountains-international-appalachian_56330_600x450.jpg

gdw
12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
That's me. The quilt has worked out really well. I've used it in temperatures ranging from 25-55 degrees and been quite comfortable. After 30+ nights of use the fabric still looks new and there has been no down leakage. I haven't had much free time this year to make gear for my own use but hopefully will be able to make a warm weather version this winter for desert trips.

moose8
12-14-2012, 11:52 AM
IAT link is the last of this Ntl Geographic "World's Best Hikes: Epic Trails":

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/best-trails/worlds-best-grail-trails/#/chic-chocs-mountains-international-appalachian_56330_600x450.jpg

That link is great. I am going to try to check the Canadian portion out. I've done the Iceland hike and the Camino de Santiago hike which were both on that list and both amazing - if the others are nearly as good they are all well worth doing.

csm
12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
I've done a few sections. it's a pleasant walk.