PDA

View Full Version : When to replace your fork

David Berry
02-27-2004, 12:09 AM
My Serotta is now a little over 5 years old with 20,000 miles and I still have my original F1 fork. Is there a point when I should consider replacing the fork due to the cumulative stresses of riding?

When I ride, I don't notice any problems. I'm just wondering if there is a rule of thumb for "fork lifetime" that says replace your fork every 'x' years or 'y' miles

Thanks,
David

EPOJoe
02-27-2004, 01:04 AM
F1? I personally wouldn't worry about it. Maybe in another fifty years ;)

Too Tall
02-27-2004, 05:38 AM
It could go any second. Send it to me for a complete and thorough testing ASAP.

Kevin
02-27-2004, 07:03 AM
David,

Too Tall's testing equipment is outdated. Send them to me. My testing equipment is state of the art. But I will warn you that they have a high failure rate. If they fail, I will just keep them. Do you want me to test your frame as well?

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
02-27-2004, 08:33 AM
. . . That these guys are such jokers. Being the kind of fguy who is always TOTALLY serious, :rolleyes: I will help if I can. I have no personal experience with fork failings, but I don't recall ever seeing in two years anything here in the forum about Serotta forks failing.
I f you have not crashed the bike, then I would not worry about it.

But then, I am not an engineer (I just play one on TV!) . . . What exactly IS the fatigue life of carbon? What kind of stresses ARE put on a steerer tube and fork legs during "normal" use and how long should they be expected to last? I'm not exactly sure--perhaps there are engineers on the forum who can tell us . . .

BBDave

Kevin
02-27-2004, 07:18 PM
All kidding aside, if you have not crashed them I would not worry about replacing them. Serotta warranties its carbon forks for life. That is good enough for me.

Kevin

bubba
02-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Kevin
Serotta warranties its carbon forks for life. That is good enough for me.

Kevin Does that mean his estate can collect if the fork fails and he buys the farm?

Kevin
02-28-2004, 09:06 AM
bubba,

I was just passing along what my wife said when I wanted to buy new forks.

Kevin